Were the Blackhawks treated unfairly with the Bickell trade?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
They were forced to carry Bickell, who was essentially a 4M dead cap hit, then forced to trade him with their top young player, Teravainen, just to get rid of him. As it would turn out, Bickell couldn't play well because he had MS. I think the Hawks should have been given a sandwich pick in the draft a la MLB. A sandwich pick is an extra draft pick between the 1st and 2nd round. Well, that did not happen, but don't be surprised if the league is helping them out now with Hossa. It's for this specific reason that I would not be surprised to see Hossa return for the playoffs this year for a proper send off before moving back to LTIR. At the absolute least, I expect no push back from the league with regards to how Chicago handles Hossa and the reallocating of his cap dollars into new players.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
So Chicago should've gotten a break no other team gets outside of New Jersey which was a different situation anyway?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
With this surprising turn of events, Hossa's contract looks like to have been a $2 - 2.5 M cap relief for the 8 years.

Bickell games in 2015-16: NHL 25, AHL 47; I don't know the NHL cap repercussions of that. Apparently the AHL games doesn't count towards the cap.

Chicago got 2016 2nd, 2017 3rd in the trade from CAR.

2016, #39OA, Alex DeBrincat, OHL 65+62 in 63:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=231275

You gonna need a smaller violin.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Why should they get a pick? Silly idea. Hawks are getting off scott free from the hossa deal. Due to that contract they had an extra 2.5mill to spend for 8 years. I think the two cups are reward enough for their hijinks

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
You should be more concerned that a man is slowly deteriorating from an incurable disease, than what you're owed by his disease inconveniencing your team.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Well maybe if they had been more thorough and invested in Bicknell as a person, instead of just shipping him to the minors, their own personnel would've arrived at the MS diagnosis themselves and they could've put him on LTIR.

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
What happened with Bickell sucks but that's one of those situations I look at and just go "eh, what can you do...stuff happens."

Also the league really wouldn't be "helping out" Chicago if Hossa is legitimately unable to play as a result of a medical condition. That would just be using LTIR for it's intended purpose. The only people who would consider that some sort of special favor from the NHL are the HF doctors who have already professionally diagnosed Hossa as being capable of playing but just not feeling like it.

I agree with the general point that people always mislabel this trade as being Bickell and TT for literally nothing, but the pick they got in return wasn't the DeBrincat pick. They got pick #50.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I agree with the general point that people always mislabel this trade as being Bickell and TT for literally nothing, but the pick they got in return wasn't the DeBrincat pick. They got pick #50.

Darnit. Well, Artur Kayumov was a dart throw too. They sure had many on that round.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Well maybe if they had been more thorough and invested in Bicknell as a person, instead of just shipping him to the minors, their own personnel would've arrived at the MS diagnosis themselves and they could've put him on LTIR.

Such an ignorant post.

The idea that the Hawks should get compensation is dumb though. **** happens.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Such an ignorant post.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's "ignorant." The signs were there for years. Everything from concussions to alcoholism to plain old laziness were blamed. But somehow over all that time they never arrived at a diagnosis that his new doctors did in a matter of weeks. Face it, the Blackhawks handled his situation very poorly.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
It's for this specific reason that I would not be surprised to see Hossa return for the playoffs this year for a proper send off before moving back to LTIR.

This would be such complete and utter bull**** that I don't think even the Hawks have the cajones to try it.

Boot

Oct 20, 2010
This would be such complete and utter bull**** that I don't think even the Hawks have the cajones to try it.

No kidding. That'd be such a blatant middle finger to the rest of the league I can't see 29 other GMs/owners letting that fly. If he can't play, that's fine, but pulling him out just for the playoffs to then put him back on LTIR is stupid as heck.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
[MOD] he got diagnosed with MS after the trade, deal with it. You guys got 3 cups due to 2 highly questionable contracts and now 1 mysteriously had an allergy (wear a shirt) and now id being stashed on LTIR.

Some trades work and some don't and that is that.

Last edited by a moderator:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's "ignorant." The signs were there for years. Everything from concussions to alcoholism to plain old laziness were blamed. But somehow over all that time they never arrived at a diagnosis that his new doctors did in a matter of weeks. Face it, the Blackhawks handled his situation very poorly.

Do you know anything about MS? My dad has it. There is no actual test for MS. You basically have to rule out everything else until you are left with MS as the possible cause.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
With this surprising turn of events, Hossa's contract looks like to have been a $2 - 2.5 M cap relief for the 8 years.

Bickell games in 2015-16: NHL 25, AHL 47; I don't know the NHL cap repercussions of that. Apparently the AHL games doesn't count towards the cap.

Not to nitpick, but the DeBrincat pick was one of two 2nd rounders from Montreal in exchange for Shaw.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Nah, you sign the contracts, you deal. YOu trade for them, you do the due diligence, you deal. LTIR exists to fix your mistakes, padrino.
Woe is the Hawks, woe!

:laugh:

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Do you know anything about MS? My dad has it. There is no actual test for MS. You basically have to rule out everything else until you are left with MS as the possible cause.

This is actually wrong with multiple family members and friends that have ms. They do a mri of your brain and spinal cord. Looking for lesions.
Yes the do blood work to eliminate other things that have similar symptoms. And they seem very slow to want to diagnose a man with it. Since it affects mostly women.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
This is actually wrong with multiple family members and friends that have ms. They do a mri of your brain and spinal cord. Looking for lesions.
Yes the do blood work to eliminate other things that have similar symptoms. And they seem very slow to want to diagnose a man with it. Since it affects mostly women.

They look for lesions on the brain to support a diagnosis but the lesions themselves aren't specific to MS. Lesions can be from other diseases as well.

Criteria for a diagnosis of MS

In order to make a diagnosis of MS, the physician must:
  • Find evidence of damage in at least two separate areas of the central nervous system (CNS), which includes the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves AND
  • Find evidence that the damage occurred at least one month apart AND
  • Rule out all other possible diagnoses
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Symptoms-Diagnosis/Diagnosing-MS

Other conditions cause demyelination

Although MS is the most common, other conditions can damage myelin in the CNS, including viral infections, side effects from high exposure to certain toxic materials, severe vitamin B12 deficiency, autoimmune conditions that lead to inflammation of blood vessels (the "collagen-vascular diseases"), and some rare hereditary disorders.

Demyelination of the peripheral nervous system (the nerves outside the brain and spinal cord) occurs in Guillain-Barré Syndrome. After some injuries, the myelin sheath in the peripheral nervous system regenerates, bringing recovery of function.

Some demyelinating conditions are self-limiting, while others may be progressive. Careful (and sometimes repetitive) examinations may be needed to establish an exact diagnosis among the possible causes of neurologic symptoms.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Maybe the docs in Chicago are just incompetent?

Couldn't figure out Bickell had MS probably misdiagnosed Hossa. The Raleigh area is know for having great docs we'd be happy to offer a second opinion on Hossa. :grin:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad