Post-Game Talk: We're Officially Eliminated. Bolts 3, Leafs 0

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Told you so. Even when the Leafs were in the playoff picture for most of the season, I suspected that the Leafs would regress and collapse out of the playoffs based on how horrid their possession metrics have been.

Both Nonis and Carlyle need to go. I question Tim Leiweke's judgment giving Nonis a 5 year contract extension. Leiweke has done well with the Toronto Raptors and Toronto FC though because he hired the right man for the GM job for the Raptors (Masai Ujiri) and he used his influence to sign a number of marquee players for Toronto FC.

Tim Leiweke needs to replace Nonis with a more capable GM. I don't understand why he felt Nonis deserved a 5 year extension. Carlyle will likely be the one who gets the boot. It's deserved. Carlyle's decisions have been very questionable (ie. giving David Clarkson time on the powerplay and the 2nd scoring line. Giving Cody Franson a lot of defensive assignments and even playing him on the penalty kill at times!) But I think the problems with this team go beyond just the coach. If you are going to place blame on the players, then Nonis deserves blame for that because he picked out the personnel on are team. He decides who goes, who stays, who is brought in.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Cap max team, no playoffs, and a lousy draft pick(?)... The holy trinity of a crappy season. :(

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Maybe now we can look forward to a massive reorganization...of our fourth line and bottom pairing defensemen :(

The people we really need to get rid of are on huge contracts that nobody will touch. The people we could get a nice return for are the ones we should keep.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Yup. Well, at Wrestlemania. I don't know who the bigger losers are, the people in that gif or the Leafs.

It's gotta be the Leafs, I'm sure those fans (or at least some of them) are successful at a vocation, or have been at some point. :laugh:

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Oh that's what did it. Not the porous defense, the non existent PK or the suddenly wobbly goal tending, it was two members of the PP that sunk us. Well now I know.

I think his point is that it's a noteworthy drop-off and contributed to the lack of goals, not that it was THE reason the Leafs collapsed.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Tim remember talking about character?

“So with nine games left, we’re about to find out how much we’ve grown as an organization. We’ll do one of two things. We’ll give up, which would tell us an awful lot about what we have to do here. Or we’ll respond and get in. If we do, we’ll probably have to win six games. I wouldn’t want to play us then, because we’d be the hot team going in.”

They gave up, big time

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dion calls into media and said he was too pissed with himself to talk the night before and puts the loss on him

"**** YOU DION!"

Kessel says he wasn't good enough"

"TRUE LEADERSHIP!"

hockeyfanz*

Good riddance. No more talk of "running the table" and having other teams choke. This team is garbage. LOL @ all the mouthpieces telling me I'm a troll and I don't know squat. All the Burkites lauding that idiot for assembling losers.

This team is no better than the one that Burke took over. Their prospect pool is probably the same or worse. Good job done by an over rated blowhard idiot who had way too many apologists on this board.

Blow up this crap and do it right for once in my life Leafs. Bahahahahahaha...no chance.
Fire the coach and change the 6th d-man. Sign some college kid and get a new backup goalie. That will fix the problems. That's more Leafs style.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Dion calls into media and said he was too pissed with himself to talk the night before and puts the loss on him

"**** YOU DION!"

Never have really warmed up to him but Phaneuf needs help on the blueline it isn't all his fault.

"TRUE LEADERSHIP!"

True leadership is rolling up your sleeves and getting it done. Not talking about it afterwards.

2007-08 = "Clearing the Slate" = 83 points & Non Playoffs

2013-14 = "+ 6 year rebuild" = 84 points & Non Playoffs

Damn that JFJ and Reimer! ;)

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Well at least he understands it.

When the team needed him most to lock down a playoff spot he went AWOL.

Got to give him credit to accept accountability.

Yep. Major props to Kessel. For a guy who tends to avoid the spotlight, at least he manned up and took responsibility.

Maybe our ******* captain should cowboy up and take some of the blame for his play instead of talking about this "played consistent" crap.

OK, Tim, get to work. Start with the coach, perhaps even the GM, and start cleaning house. If your name isn't Kessel, Bernier, JVR, Gardiner or Rielly, you're fair game.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I wish the Leafs were owned by the Aquilini's in Vancouver- they listened to the fans who were fed up and canned that idiot Gillis. Oh wait, I guess that would require Leafs fans to actually voice their displeasure, especially at the games, instead of just slinking off like sad puppies.

I give the Nuck fans credit- they chanted "fire Gillis" and a good deal of them didn't renew their season tickets out of protest which caused concern for ownership. Leaf fans in general are a sorry, selfish lot who won't personally sacrifice (no tickets, no jerseys, no Leafs TV membership, etc,) for the good of their team. They never will have what it takes to make it hard on ownership and demand change, thus this piece of **** organization will never change because they're rolling in money and have no reason to burn it down.

Dude, get rid of that avatar.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
2007-08 = "Clearing the Slate" = 83 points & Non Playoffs

2013-14 = "+ 6 year rebuild" = 84 points & Non Playoffs

Yes, looks like decent PROGRESS to me! :sarcasm:

The more things change, the more they stay the same. << new motto?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Yep. Major props to Kessel. For a guy who tends to avoid the spotlight, at least he manned up and took responsibility.

Maybe our ******* captain should cowboy up and take some of the blame for his play instead of talking about this "played consistent" crap.

OK, Tim, get to work. Start with the coach, perhaps even the GM, and start cleaning house. If your name isn't Kessel, Bernier, JVR, Gardiner or Rielly, you're fair game.

If you can get a good return for Kessel, he should be gone too!

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
Listening to Phaneuf is painful.

He sounds semi-Pejorative Slured.

I......(7 seconds of silence)....don't............(5 seconds of silence)......know.....(8 seconds of silence).....what....happened....

Just a weird, slightly messed up individual not made to interact with people in a public way—which is a secondary responsibility of being Leafs captain.

It's clear he's loathed by the other losers on the Leafs.

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto

"**** YOU DION!"

"TRUE LEADERSHIP!"

Ya, that's not the case. I get the point you're making, and there's some truth behind it but;

1. Phaneuf didn't put the loss on himself. He admitted playing bad.

2. Kessel isn't the 'C', and no one really expects him to take a leadership role.

3. A lot of fans were happy/ok with how Dion responded after ducking out. And some fans are still critical of Kessel's play and his apology/owning up doesn't excuse his poor performance.

4. I don't think fans are calling Kessel's response "true leadership". It's more respecting him for owning up.

5. Complete hyperbole.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

"**** YOU DION!"

"TRUE LEADERSHIP!"

That is accountability, not leadership.

True leadership is leading by example and carrying a team to success, not just coming out and admitting you were lousy among failure.

In the 18 games post Olympics Kessel PP stats 0-1-1 point & 5 goals in his last 16 games 12 of them losses.

Phanuef -16 since the Olympic 2nd worst +/- mark in the NHL.

When these are your best players the end results are understandable and explainable & "No Leadership".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad