Speculation: We're moving to Quebec City, y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Yep, Roy asked if the Canes will be in Carolina next season. Daly answered yes to that.
He could have asked if they'll be in Carolina for for the game Saturday night or the next hundred years and got the same answer.

He could have also responded with no comment or not responded at all and you people would still say the Canes are moving to QC. Its a no win with ya'll. They dont dispell rumors so its gotta be true. they dispell rumors and they're lying.

One thing I do know and is true, not rumor....Canes have no reason to move at this team. They arent being kicked out of their arena, have one of the best arena deals, have the market and news flash are profitable if they make the playoffs. PK wants to sell, but he also isnt desperate to sell at this time.

I'll never say never because PK is a greedy arrogant *******, but they are not in the same situation as Atlanta was.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
So are some people still worried about the team moving now that it's April 2nd?

Are you really suggesting it was all April Fools when the rumors started days before that? I wish I had your confidence. I don't think it's a lock we'll move, but it seems more possible than you're suggesting.

drganon

Jun 24, 2014
He could have also responded with no comment or not responded at all and you people would still say the Canes are moving to QC. Its a no win with ya'll. They dont dispell rumors so its gotta be true. they dispell rumors and they're lying.

One thing I do know and is true, not rumor....Canes have no reason to move at this team. They arent being kicked out of their arena, have one of the best arena deals, have the market and news flash are profitable if they make the playoffs. PK wants to sell, but he also isnt desperate to sell at this time.

I'll never say never because PK is a greedy arrogant *******, but they are not in the same situation as Atlanta was.

Yeah, just wish PK hadn't set the bar so high as far as his demands go, we could've found a local buyer a lot easier and we wouldn't be going through this ****.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Yep, Roy asked if the Canes will be in Carolina next season. Daly answered yes to that.
He could have asked if they'll be in Carolina for for the game Saturday night or the next hundred years and got the same answer.

I was on the fence about whether or not they're moving. Now I'm 100% convinced they are.

drganon

Jun 24, 2014
Bought a Nords jersey today and wrote Skinner 53 on it with marker.

vOYcM.png

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013

WOW you guys are interpreting this post entirely wrong. I'm trying to convey that Daly is just answering the ridiculous question Roy asked. Roy asked a question where any answer would provide the effect he is seeking. No matter what Daly said, Roy can say Carolina is only guaranteed to be here next season. I'm not insinuating anything about the team moving. I'm trying to prove that Quebec is grasping at straws.

I'm rooting for Carolina to stay. I may be a Flyers fan, but I'm 31 years old and have been in North Carolina for 20 years. I'm currently a Raleigh resident with a sweet part-time second job that allows me to attend all Hurricanes home games. I want nothing more than for this team to stay in Raleigh.

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Are you really suggesting it was all April Fools when the rumors started days before that? I wish I had your confidence. I don't think it's a lock we'll move, but it seems more possible than you're suggesting.

I thought the april fools part was people pretending to believe the 'rumors.' Does not appear to be the case. I wish I could share my confidence. But to put into context, even Eklund hasn't posted Canes to QC.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
WOW you guys are interpreting this post entirely wrong. I'm trying to convey that Daly is just answering the ridiculous question Roy asked. Roy asked a question where any answer would provide the effect he is seeking. No matter what Daly said, Roy can say Carolina is only guaranteed to be here next season. I'm not insinuating anything about the team moving. I'm trying to prove that Quebec is grasping at straws.

Sorry, yes, we (me at least) did interpret your post incorrectly. Thanks for the clarification.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
I'm obviously not buying into this ****, but hypothetically, is next year do or die to make the playoffs and keep these rumors at bay?

Even if there is some truth, we desperately need to put fans in our seats to shut these rumors up and a competitive season can do just that.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
QC has already stroked a check for $500M for expansion fees and it is just laying around waiting to be cashed. I just can't see any way that any team moves prior to expansion to QC and LV. It doesn't compute to me that the owners are willing to walk away from each getting the $16M fee per expansion team (that's $32M to each owner for 2 expansion teams).

I could be wrong, but this seems to be much ado about nothing.
Yes, and you'd think enough of the BOG members vote no for that very reason.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'm obviously not buying into this ****, but hypothetically, is next year do or die to make the playoffs and keep these rumors at bay?

Even if there is some truth, we desperately need to put fans in our seats to shut these rumors up and a competitive season can do just that.

I would be extremely shocked if the goal next year is not at least a WC berth.

I trust Francis will do a couple smart things both at the draft and in July.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Until our owner is no longer Karmanos and we sign a lease extension at PNC...

Like I said Dave, even in that instance the refrain would just change to "Well, how long can the new owner stomach playing at a loss? When will they move to a more deserving city like Hamilton or Halifax or Saskatoon? We only want to Make it 8...or 9...or 10...or 11..." and "Besides, leases are only worth the paper they're written on. A lawyer worth his salt can get out of one with no trouble at all."

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
a couple seasons ago we had a "home" preseason game in qc and i joked that the lot of us should go (it was a home game after all) and paint that town red, white and black

if we ever get another preseason game there, we actually should. what a form of retaliation that would be

you know for sure that a group of 20-25 guys decked out in canes gear, in the lower bowl at that event would at least get some recognition in the news

we'll tear the town up crazy

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Here's the truth. We've had about a million times to freak out about this team moving provided we wanted to take them. When Thewes passed was a big moment. When Rutherford sold out and went to Pittsburgh was another. The declaration that local buyers weren't stepping forward was another. The attendance dropping steadily yet another. The on-ice product being unattractive to most everyone who knows anything about hockey..... you're getting the picture. As of right now, our future looks bright here. This is the most optimistic I have been for a Hurricanes squad that missed the playoffs I have ever been. Things are trending in a positive direction here with the on-ice product and we KNOW everything follows that.

The difference between those above crisis and this one, this one wasn't an actual event but rather speculation about some things that look awfully coincidental. That does not generate anything that moves my needle. In this time of twitter and instant news, if something was happening we'd probably know. It would be even worse than when Atlanta was in trouble in terms of all the bells going off and people attempting to close up shop on any business they had there. I don't see any of that happening and until I do, it's not even on the level of the other points I mentioned for me personally.

The harbinger of death will hang over any small market team as long as they're not winning. Don't waste all your energy on this rumor. There will be more to come unless we start winning and thereby filling seats. At which point the vultures will start to swarm the next best option.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Or just point out his sources were an April Fool's Joke.....

BTW, if the Hurricanes do move to Quebec, I'd recommend getting a Slavin jersey, he'll be their best defensemen in 2 years.

That way you'll have a nice memento when he jumps ship for Colorado, Hanifin and Pesce for Boston, and Faulk for Minnesota. :D

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Here's the truth. We've had about a million times to freak out about this team moving provided we wanted to take them. When Thewes passed was a big moment. When Rutherford sold out and went to Pittsburgh was another. The declaration that local buyers weren't stepping forward was another. The attendance dropping steadily yet another. The on-ice product being unattractive to most everyone who knows anything about hockey..... you're getting the picture. As of right now, our future looks bright here. This is the most optimistic I have been for a Hurricanes squad that missed the playoffs I have ever been. Things are trending in a positive direction here with the on-ice product and we KNOW everything follows that.

The difference between those above crisis and this one, this one wasn't an actual event but rather speculation about some things that look awfully coincidental. That does not generate anything that moves my needle. In this time of twitter and instant news, if something was happening we'd probably know. It would be even worse than when Atlanta was in trouble in terms of all the bells going off and people attempting to close up shop on any business they had there. I don't see any of that happening and until I do, it's not even on the level of the other points I mentioned for me personally.

The harbinger of death will hang over any small market team as long as they're not winning. Don't waste all your energy on this rumor. There will be more to come unless we start winning and thereby filling seats. At which point the vultures will start to swarm the next best option.

Don Waddell isn't good news after what happened in Atlanta but this is taking things a bit far. :sarcasm:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Or just point out his sources were an April Fool's Joke.....

BTW, if the Hurricanes do move to Quebec, I'd recommend getting a Slavin jersey, he'll be their best defensemen in 2 years.

That way you'll have a nice memento when he jumps ship for Colorado, Hanifin and Pesce for Boston, and Faulk for Minnesota. :D

Ahh yes, the ol' Poisson d'Avril !!!

(Made me laugh because literally translated means the April Fish.)

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Don Waddell isn't good news after what happened in Atlanta but this is taking things a bit far. :sarcasm:

trying to think of a solid name plate idea (and to a lesser extent, number) to get on a jersey when we do not move, that takes a subtle, but also, not so subtle shot at qc i can wear the next time i go to that province to visit family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->