GDT: We're in Brooklyn Now for Game 5. 4:30 PDT

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Brent Burns brings down every D partner he plays with, but he's a favorite around here so it's no surprise to see Dillon getting scapegoated

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I've never liked Stalock. He's a rebound factory. Instead of looking to freeze the puck, he always considers playing it first. He's enamored of his mediocre skating and puck handling skills. He's small by today's standard. The Sharks need and deserve a better backup.

That said, the team was undermanned, tired (can't blame travel though), and playing a quality team. The Islanders outplayed them, and nothing short of an excellent goaltending performance would have made a difference.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Brenden Dillon isn't close to Paul Martin, this is true

The 2nd pair only worked because Martin was carrying more than his share of the defensive responsibilities; Dillon isn't that guy and will never be that guy, but an inability to carry a dumpster fire like Burns around doesn't mean he's not a 2nd pairing player

Burns is not a good defenseman, Martin just appears to be an exceptional one, and his injury is a serious blow to our paper thin depth

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I think an average goalie performance would have done well enough considering they got 3 goals. The goals were soft, and Stalock probably would want most if not all of them back.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
yup. stalock's style also has a tendency to make bad play snowball. better to kill the play before the other team has a chance to get rolling.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
There is a silver lining to Monday's game. The Rangers will be the team on a back end of a back to back. I expect a much better game. If there is one concern I have with the team is the injuries to Martin and Donskoi seem a little fishy.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Brenden Dillon isn't close to Paul Martin, this is true

The 2nd pair only worked because Martin was carrying more than his share of the defensive responsibilities; Dillon isn't that guy and will never be that guy, but an inability to carry a dumpster fire like Burns around doesn't mean he's not a 2nd pairing player

Burns is not a good defenseman, Martin just appears to be an exceptional one, and his injury is a serious blow to our paper thin depth

C'mon man. He signed HERE for what? $4.5M? Exceptional is pushing it, but I get it, you'll say anything to support your bias against BB.

Also :laugh: at Burns being a "dumpster fire." Good one.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
There is a silver lining to Monday's game. The Rangers will be the team on a back end of a back to back. I expect a much better game. If there is one concern I have with the team is the injuries to Martin and Donskoi seem a little fishy.

hopefully martin was more a casualty of the quick turnaround, and donskoi the win last night.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Brent Burns brings down every D partner he plays with, but he's a favorite around here so it's no surprise to see Dillon getting scapegoated

Lmao. Go look back at he last few gdts there was a ton of praise for how well burns was playing this year, On defense. Its no surprise either, burns has a partner that fits his game well, and his whole game improved. Give him Dillon, and it all comes crashing down. Dillon is not a 2nd pairing dman on a good defense. I was happy with our d this year with him on the third pairing, yet he's not been good there either so far this year. He brings very little to the table.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

I don't think it is entirely on Burns for Dillon's performance. Dillon is just another mediocre defenseman in the league. He does not excel on offense, or on defense... he's just mediocre all the way around.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
Stalock just continues to prove that he's not an NHL goalie. Hopefully DW can pick up a good back up for cheap in the near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad