Post-Game Talk: We're going streaking!!!!

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
We can and should enjoy wins.

If they can turn it around the 2nd half, well then maybe next year doesn't look so damn bleak to a lot of players.

That, in itself, would be a damn victory. Because I am sure the players are as sick of losing as we are and anything positive right now is good. To see how happy they were with that win last night and the game before, well I believe the only people hoping for a tank are fans.

As we slowly get deEakinized, I see a different team. THANK GOD.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So is that 7 wins for Eakins and 5 already for Nelson?

yup. I believe it is this now:

Eakins: 7-18-5
Nelson: 5-4-2

and I think MacT gets credit for his few games with him and Nelson, which were losses I think

EDIT: I can confirm Nelson's record (and Eakins' is right). Nelson fully took over against LA on Dec 30

Last edited:

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
One kid isn't going to save this team. I want my team to win, always. I'd be amazed if we fall out of the top 5 and there will still be a really good player there. With CSB and ISS and blogs and everything the best guys get drafted at the top of the draft now. The order can be a little mixed but the order is what it is for a reason.

Go Oilers Go, always.

Hoepfully we can just go one year without the November/December collapse that always kills us.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
when that pick is McDavid than yes we will be okay

PIT came in at a solid 29th place with Crosby in the line-up... Is McD "more generational" than him?

PIT needed Crosby and Malkin, who many see as top 5 in the world, to become what they are (and they are still not the best team in the league). If McD is Crosby (I doubt it, but I could be wrong) who is our Malkin? I know people are talking about McEichel, but we aren't getting both...

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
PIT came in at a solid 29th place with Crosby in the line-up... Is McD "more generational" than him?

PIT needed Crosby and Malkin, who many see as top 5 in the world, to become what they are (and they are still not the best team in the league). If McD is Crosby (I doubt it, but I could be wrong) who is our Malkin? I know people are talking about McEichel, but we aren't getting both...

So just because Crosby by himself couldnt turn a franchise around getting McDavid would be useles??
Imagine if PIT did not land Crosby.. where would they be?

People are jsut saying that this team would be a lot better with McDavid on it.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
The only way I see this team moving forward is without MacT. He was forced to fire Eakins, not because he wanted to. Everyone is pointing to a positive change since Nelson took over, this should re-affirm how much of a moron MacTavish is.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
So just because Crosby by himself couldnt turn a franchise around getting McDavid would be useles??
Imagine if PIT did not land Crosby.. where would they be?

People are jsut saying that this team would be a lot better with McDavid on it.

Do you think PIT would have rolled over and died if they wouldn't have gotten Crosby? There are 29 teams which haven't had a player like Crosby for the last 20 years.

I'd be thrilled to have McDavid, anyone would. That is not the point though. The issue I have are with people who think it is better to go head to head with BUF and lose from here on in and have a 1/5 chance to get him...

Last edited:

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
you guys all crap on Hall
ya he's not playing all that well right now , his D and two way game is improving.

In a game that he had no points , he was still the first player on the ice to celebrate the win , but ya lets trade him

Sweet! so we should keep him cause he celebrates first!

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Interesting Splits here:

On Home ice:
Scrivens - 21GP, 8-10-3, .901, 2.87 GAA
Fasth - 6 GP, 0-4, .870, 3.74 GAA

On Road
Fasth - 12 GP, 4-6-2, .896, 3.19 GAA
Scrivens - 14 GP, 0-6-5, .885. 3.30 GAA

It seems they are splitting Fasth and Scrivens pretty much equally on the road and stapling Fasth to the bench at home. Based on the stats, it actually looks like that makes sense. Has anyone seen before this late in a season where one team goalie is winless at home while the other is winless on the road?

To guarantee McEichel, all they need to do from here on out is start Scrivens on the road and Fasth at home.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think the team will get on a run here in the 2nd half and likely get ~75 pts by season's end.

You do realize that would be 20-11-6 (or whatever combination of OTLs that makes you 9 games over .500) in 37 games counting these last two wins. That's a 102 point pace over a 82 game season. A much more realistic (while being optimistic) number is 67-70 points which is 1-4 games over .500 (90 point pace). That still gives them a grater than 74% chance of being bottom 3 in the league (i.e. picking top four).

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nelson doesn't support the tank. He is actually a good coach. I was pulling for him when Eakins got hired, knowing he was the better AHL coach. Nelson will coach this team to a .500 record (the remaining games) and make us draft 5th

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Nelson doesn't support the tank. He is actually a good coach. I was pulling for him when Eakins got hired, knowing he was the better AHL coach. Nelson will coach this team to a .500 record (the remaining games) and make us draft 5th

.500 from here on out still gives us about a 90% chance of being bottom 3 so yeah, let's just win a bit and get them feeling better. I think people fail to realize just how well Edmonton would need to play to get out of picking bottom 5. They'd need 76 (which would be 21-11-5 over a 37 game stretch including the last two wins) points total before they'd have a greater than 50/50 chance of picking outside of the top five (i.e. finishing bottom four in standings). Just win as much as they can and they'll still likely be picking top 3 or 4 anyways unless they pull out a 10 game win streak or something, and 10 win game streak would certainly have a positive effect on their psyches for next season.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Man, who cares? It's not like we are decreasing our chances at McDavid significantly. This team tried to have kids like Gagner, Cogliano, and Nilsson carry them to the next level which failed. They must of not been talented enough so we suck to get three #1 picks to take us to the next level which still failed. So what's the next step? Oh we never drafted the so called "generational" 18 year old and that is what's missing to allow our team to take the next step.

Doesn't seem to add up to me. Maybe it's time to start thinking that no matter how talented you are as a junior, it will not help you against men who have been playing pro hockey as long as you've been playing minor and junior hockey. Especially when it comes to the Oilers and there development model.

Like I said, almost any other draft in the last 5-8 years I'd agree with you. 95 percent of prospects are highly unlikely to come in and turn a franchise around. If this was last year, id be hundred percent be in the camp that is looking to cultivate a winning culture and not giving a **** about getting a top pick. However, these prospects are rare. If there is a chance of a prospect turning a franchise around (Crosby, Ovi, Stammer type) then I really dont get how you can value 5-10 more wins over that.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Sweet! so we should keep him cause he celebrates first!

No, we should keep him because he just turned 23 a couple months ago, and he's having the worst season of his career after back to back seasons of being a top 10 producer in the league. It would be the ultimate sell low move. And the unfortunate thing is there are a tonne of Oiler fans just lapping the idea up.

Jun 9, 2011
No, we should keep him because he just turned 23 a couple months ago, and he's having the worst season of his career after back to back seasons of being a top 10 producer in the league. It would be the ultimate sell low move. And the unfortunate thing is there are a tonne of Oiler fans just lapping the idea up.
It's mind blowing to think he is considered currency right now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
he is only considered currency for a Shea Weber in my eyes, aside from that he is an Oiler for as long as we can keep him :p

hahahahahaha, Weber would demand for a trade out of here in 5 minutes flat.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
You do realize that would be 20-11-6 (or whatever combination of OTLs that makes you 9 games over .500) in 37 games counting these last two wins. That's a 102 point pace over a 82 game season. A much more realistic (while being optimistic) number is 67-70 points which is 1-4 games over .500 (90 point pace). That still gives them a grater than 74% chance of being bottom 3 in the league (i.e. picking top four).

Ya I realize what they would need to put up.

They have 33 pts now... they'd need another 42 pts over their last 35 games to hit 75.

18-11-6 would do that. Can they put up 42 pts over their last 35 games? Maybe... maybe not. But chances are infinitely better under Nelson than under Eakins.

Ya it's optimistic for sure since they have 12 pts in their last
11 games with Nelson at the helm... which if they kept on at that pace would give them 38 pts the rest of the way. I'm just spotting them an extra 4 pts for the sake of optimism. :) I did say ~75 as obviously no one knows for sure.

The team is playing better though and are dead even in goals differential recently in those last 11 games and I'm just betting on a little more improvement over the last 35 games as well.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ya I realize what they would need to put up.

They have 33 pts now... they'd need another 42 pts over their last 35 games to hit 75.

18-11-6 would do that. Can they put up 42 pts over their last 35 games? Maybe... maybe not. But chances are infinitely better under Nelson than under Eakins.

Ya it's optimistic for sure since they have 12 pts in their last
11 games with Nelson at the helm... which if they kept on at that pace would give them 38 pts the rest of the way. I'm just spotting them an extra 4 pts for the sake of optimism. :) I did say ~75 as obviously no one knows for sure.

The team is playing better though and are dead even in goals differential recently in those last 11 games and I'm just betting on a little more improvement over the last 35 games as well.

You're forgetting that over the next month we could see the following players shipped out without actual roster players coming back:

Petry
Fasth
Purcell
Roy
Hendricks
Gordon
Nikitin

(in order of likelihood)

It's more likely they'll go .500 the rest of the way, which still puts them in the bottom 4 (likely bottom 3).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad