Post-Game Talk: We're going streaking!!!!

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I just want them to finish the season strong and don't care about the draft pick. Odds of us winning it are slim as it is and quite frankly, I am just so sick of losing.

We have a lot to play for. We can get our **** together and beat teams that are fighting for a playoff spot.

To say there is no reason to win is absolutely terrible.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Great points. This team is a different team under Nelson. Have you seen Yak? He is a new player. The goals will come. Eakins was a complete idiot. What a fool. I wonder if he is Chopping wood and carrying water now?

Going by how completely clueless he was as a coach here, he's probably chopping water and carrying wood.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Great hockey night for myself last night. Great to see the Oilers come back against what looks like a pretty good team.

And flipping the channel to the awesome Philly/Pens game...probably ended up watching more of the latter.

Purcell had his mojo going and Nelson felt it. No way Eakins would have put Purcell into the shootout position he was in.

I'm still rather concerned about the Goaltending situation here though. What we have just isn't good enough to get us to where we want to be.

I hope the Oilers keep up the good play.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Getting management cleaned out would be a far bigger reward than McDavid.

Considering the moves they've already made promoting inside guys without outside candidates or a transparent hiring process, I really don't think that's happening.

They'll re-shuffle the scouts and Lowe might be symbolically sacrificed at the end of the "Forensic Audit", but it's business as usual for these guys.

For me the key is if Morey Gare and Scott Howson go. Both are Oiler old boys and have done a poor job.

Then even if the audit is a sham, and the old boy network is in place, we could at least get better people in place for the vital roles of Head Pro Scout and Assistant GM (capologist)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The team actually looks like they want to win, will not give up and have a shred of character now under Nelson. It shows that not only was Eakins terrible but MacT being a clone of eakins was terrible when he was 'teaching' Nelson how to coach.

Guys like Eakins and MacT are all about system, have no feel for a team and seem to be totally stubborn about how they approach things. MacT is probably wincing that we are winning because it will be tougher for him to dump Nelson at the end of the year and bring in his next new favourite.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Pretty weird feeling to win a game where your goalie has a .833 save percentage.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Nice to see most of you enjoying the win. Really hard to see the logic that people think the drop off from Eichel to the players at 3/4/5 is so big that it will be the difference between this team having any success in the future.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
This is my kind of thread title.

Anyways, the team bounced back well from being down by two goals on three separate occasions. I expected them to give-up and lose again after that 2-4 goal, but they pushed hard to tie the game and were rewarded. My only complaint would be that the pro scouts and/or coaching staff contributed to the team quickly being down 0-2. I mean is Edmonton the only team left in the NHL that doesn't know to cover Ovechkin on the left half boards during a man advantage?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pretty weird feeling to win a game where your goalie has a .833 save percentage.

While Fasth didn't have a good game statistically he didn't always have the team's help yesterday. In the end the team came together and gutted out a win which is something this team hasn't really done this year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is my kind of thread title.

Anyways, the team bounced back well from being down by two goals on three separate occasions. I expected them to give-up and lose again after that 2-4 goal, but they pushed hard to tie the game and were rewarded. My only complaint would be that the pro scouts and/or coaching staff contributed to the team quickly being down 0-2. I mean is Edmonton the only team left in the NHL that doesn't know to cover Ovechkin on the left half boards during a man advantage?

I don't know why we don't hire Strudwick and Ferraro. Ferraro use to talk about that kind of stuff all the time when doing Oil games. Then yesterday what did Struds talk about at 4:30, know that Ovehckin shoots from the top of the circle to the right of the goalie.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Great hockey night for myself last night. Great to see the Oilers come back against what looks like a pretty good team.

And flipping the channel to the awesome Philly/Pens game...probably ended up watching more of the latter.

Purcell had his mojo going and Nelson felt it. No way Eakins would have put Purcell into the shootout position he was in.

I'm still rather concerned about the Goaltending situation here though. What we have just isn't good enough to get us to where we want to be.

I hope the Oilers keep up the good play.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment but weird timing considering that Fasth had zero chance on any of the goals last night.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I just want them to finish the season strong and don't care about the draft pick. Odds of us winning it are slim as it is and quite frankly, I am just so sick of losing.

We have a lot to play for. We can get our **** together and beat teams that are fighting for a playoff spot.

To say there is no reason to win is absolutely terrible.

It's the truth. They ****ed it all up in the first half of the season. We always get these ******** rebounds in the second half and they convince themselves that they've turned the corner and everyone is happy all we need is some minor tinkering and things are going to be great next year. October comes and they **** the bed again and are out of any chances at the playoffs by mid-November. I'm not cheering for them to lose but there is no solace in them winning now. They have to show up at the start of the season not in January. A lot of this is on the players but a lot is on management as well. The changes since Eakins was turfed shows how bad the decision to hire him was and how much worse the decision to hold on to him for so long was, then there is the decision to go with no center depth this season and problems in net last year.

If they want this team to turn things around the team has to be ready to go at the start of the season, not looking to fill holes later or hoping that an 18 year old is going to prove capable of taking top 6 minutes.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Nice to see most of you enjoying the win. Really hard to see the logic that people think the drop off from Eichel to the players at 3/4/5 is so big that it will be the difference between this team having any success in the future.

Not only that, but the reworked draft lottery rankings make it even less "enticing" to finish second last. We could finish fourth/fifth last and end up picking 1st overall for all we know. At this point, the team's only focus (and the fans') should be winning games.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Cool. Let's just keep talking till our entire roster is top 3 draft picks. Only what, 15 more years?

That would be good logic if this was the Reinheart draft. McEichel is not you average top pick..

I hate losing as much as anybody and if this was last year, id be agreeing with you wholeheartedly. But when its a generational talent like McEichel, its hard to watch that slip away.

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
That would be good logic if this was the Reinheart draft. McEichel is not you average top pick..

I hate losing as much as anybody and if this was last year, id be agreeing with you wholeheartedly. But when its a generational talent like McEichel, its hard to watch that slip away.

same as i feel...i have been a season ticket holder since 2003 and to think that we can have the next "Crosby" or a few extra wins....i'll take the next Crosby..and i dont understand how people think a couple extra wins means anything for next season..

im sure the players arent going to be thinking 'oh man we have so much confidence with those extra wins' that means **** all at the end of the year

we missed out on Ekblad because we won the last game of the year, im sure noone wants to miss out on McEichel

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Since when are your 3 and 4 C's that important. I would agree, I thing our C situation is ok, but you still draft the BPA, at 3 I think that iwll be Marner by years end.

Only way we shouldn't pick C is if Drai lit it up day 1. There is no guarantee he becomes a legit top 2 C and the more C the better.

We have solid enough D prospects, our forwards are ****.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta

Man, who cares? It's not like we are decreasing our chances at McDavid significantly. This team tried to have kids like Gagner, Cogliano, and Nilsson carry them to the next level which failed. They must of not been talented enough so we suck to get three #1 picks to take us to the next level which still failed. So what's the next step? Oh we never drafted the so called "generational" 18 year old and that is what's missing to allow our team to take the next step.

Doesn't seem to add up to me. Maybe it's time to start thinking that no matter how talented you are as a junior, it will not help you against men who have been playing pro hockey as long as you've been playing minor and junior hockey. Especially when it comes to the Oilers and there development model.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
same as i feel...i have been a season ticket holder since 2003 and to think that we can have the next "Crosby" or a few extra wins....i'll take the next Crosby..and i dont understand how people think a couple extra wins means anything for next season..

im sure the players arent going to be thinking 'oh man we have so much confidence with those extra wins' that means **** all at the end of the year

we missed out on Ekblad because we won the last game of the year, im sure noone wants to miss out on McEichel

You realize Buffalo has an 80% chance of not getting McDavid right?

and I'm sorry but Eichel isn't a franchise changer like McDavid IMO

Buffalo has no talent on their roster and have lost 11 in a row in regulation...they're tanking harder than everyone ever has...no chance of ever beating them out

and if it's only "a couple wins more"...we ain't leaving 2nd last place

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
a few more wins is not going to mean **** for next year...going into the offseason its like a refresh button where everything starts anew.

so people saying wins are more important than McEichel are ridiculous.

im hoping for season ending minor injuries for Nuge/Hall so we can **** the bed.

if we dont end up with the #1/2 pick this year it would have been a waste of another year.

and did you see that 1 on 1 in the 3rd period with Schultz...jebus i hope hes not on this team next year

You seem to not understand the new drafting rules. The winner of the lottery takes the #1 pick now. It used to be the winner jumped 4 spots so the last placed team had excellent odds since as long as a bottom 5 team didn't win the lottery they retain the top pick. The odds have changed as well. The bottom 4 teams now have worse odds to win than they did in the past. (HTML is off so i can't align things properly)

Non-Playoff Team
(Fewest Pts. to Most) | New Draft Lottery Odds | Odds Under Former Allocation
1 | 20.0% | 25.0%
2 | 13.5% | 18.8%
3 | 11.5% | 14.2%
4 | 9.5% | 10.7%
5 | 8.5% | 8.1%
6 | 7.5% | 6.2%

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795

30th (1st) is a lock for Buffalo. Oil will finish no worse than 29th and more than likely no higher than 25th (6th). 6% difference, which is almost negligible, but the fact that the team realizes they can win is much more important than that extra 6%.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Odds are, we finish 28th. We have an 11.5% chance at McD, and a 45% chance at picking no lower than 3rdOA.

The wins down the stretch gives the players confidence, lets them have more fun, improves their relationships within the team...and we still have higher than 10% chance at getting a player that likely joins the team as our best player.

I take that over a team that feels like utter garbage, has the weight of the city on their shoulders, and only 8.5% more chance at McD.

We're neeeever finishing worse than Buffalo. So the difference becomes 2% less chance at McD. If we happen to still land 29th (probably thanks to Mike Smith remembering how to stop pucks), then we still only have a 33.5% chance not to pick 3rd anyway.

Just stop *****ing about positivity on our team. Perhaps karma is trying to tell us that if we pray for a loser, the prize we get will be one too. So let's cheer for a winning culture trying to improve, and maybe we'll win the lottery anyway and add a generational player to a team that found a rhythm and a confidence down the stretch instead of a team that's broken and too accustomed to losing to make a difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad