Rumor: We're getting an ASG

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Is it just me or does anyone else not really care about getting an ASG?

Good for the club and city, but I've just lost almost all interest in the event.

Like when we got the WC, I'll go because I've never been to one and it's in my city.

The one we had was pretty fun. Lots of good publicity for the club and the city.

Do we really take our news from someone named "billybobbunghole"? JR is that you? :laugh:

I was debating on even posting the link because of that, kind of hard to take seriously with that name lol.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

Good for the club and city, but I've just lost almost all interest in the event.
I care. Well, I loved it as a kid. Really don't "care" per-say as an adult. I like seeing so much talent in one place though. They definitely make an event of it for the host city. Like the Winter Classic. It would be great for STL and the young fans in STL.

Reactions: DoubleK81

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
only thing that was ever cool about the ASG was the skills competition but they ruined it by pandering to the ADHD crowd

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
If I was 10 years old I would be very excited. Allstar game doesn't do much for me. I might go check out the skills competition though.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
As someone living far from St Louis, I could see scheduling a trip to attend the All-Star festivities with my family. Not sure yet.

I thought the same thing about the Winter Classic but got priced out, so who knows.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
I’ll consider going, just because it’s a good excuse to return. Some of my family is interested and wouldn’t go otherwise; if I wait for a cup I’ll die first so... I don’t know yet but will consider going.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
I went to the ASG when it was in Dallas. Ruined the event for me. Nobody is excited to be there. The players really dont care about anything that is going on. On TV they do a good job selling it. Live it's a snorefest.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Hockey fans dont give a shit about the ASG, but the new format is at least entertaining for the casual fans.

Also, we get thrown a bone for the foreseeable lockout year. I think it's even money if we actually get to host it.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Hockey fans dont give a **** about the ASG, but the new format is at least entertaining for the casual fans.

Also, we get thrown a bone for the foreseeable lockout year. I think it's even money if we actually get to host it.
I think if it were canceled due to a labor dispute, they'd get the next year's game.

Also, as the host city, the Blues would probably have multiple players named to the team. It could be more fun to watch as the host team.

Reactions: DoubleK81

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I’m sure most die hard fans won’t appreciate the ASG much. But hopefully this continues to grow interest in the game and keeps ownership happy with increased revenue for the foreseeable future. The last thing I want is to see Stillman consider moving out of the ownership group. He’s a gem of an owner.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002

I think it's a fair point, which then brings its own question: what could be done to make the ASG worth watching?

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I think it's a fair point, which then brings its own question: what could be done to make the ASG worth watching?
Go back to east vs west and have it decide home ice for Stanley cup finals...

:sarcasm:

I liked the game as a kid and still tune in if I’m around when it’s on but I’m not all that excited about going to one live.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Boo! I was hoping "ASG" stood for "All Star Goalie", and when I opened this thread I was going to read all about Armstrong having traded Allen and Bouwmeester for a former all star goalie! :mad:
Well, we did have Bobby Plager in Alberta last week talking to Glenn Hall so you never know! :laugh:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Great for the city and team for the publicity and revenue. I’m 50/50 on going, I would mainly go because I’ve never been and it’s here, but other than that no attraction for me to it.

What I do hope is that the Blues/city/region make another World Juniors hosting bid with all the renovations that have taken place at Enterprise Center. I’ll be first in line for tickets to that.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'd like to see these few things at the ASG:

Skills competition - quit dumping it in the hands of the All-Stars. It's pretty apparent at times they're going through the motions. Have teams nominate guys to go in various categories, let's see who's the best in the league and not just "the best All-Star." Perhaps even do quarters / semis / finals for the events just to build interest.

Veterans Game - if there's interest, see how many old-timers want to come back and play for a few periods. Do that the day before the actual game. Perhaps even make it "Host Team veterans vs. League veterans."

All-Star Game
1. Go back to the Fantasy Draft with two teams. I would love to have the draft done right before the game, but I can understand logistical issues that make that difficult. [Like, uniform preparation.] Though, nothing says the draft can't be done behind the scenes and then results announced "live" right before the game.

2. Make it more like pick-up hockey. Leave it 5-on-5, but basically have a couple officials out there for safety and calling goals and to help with rule application on a few things, and otherwise let the players run things. Faceoffs? Put the puck down, touch sticks, and go. Penalties? Call your own. Goalies save and he freezes the puck? Offense backs out, goalie plays it to a teammate, and you're off. That kind of stuff. I might even throw in experimental rules here as one-off things and see how it goes. Coaches can still organize lines and make changes as needed.

Young Stars Game - bring this back. Make it the "3-on-3" tournament. Hell, play it the same day of the ASG and do it during the intermissions / one game before they start the actual game and the winning side maybe even joins in the 3rd period of the ASG.

I know this is probably upping costs, but right now it just feels like "we have an All-Star Game because we've always had one" and there's no real reason for fans to tune in other than that. Bring something new, something exciting, something unexpected.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
What I do hope is that the Blues/city/region make another World Juniors hosting bid with all the renovations that have taken place at Enterprise Center. I’ll be first in line for tickets to that.
Correct me if I'm missing something, but a bid from St. Louis would pretty much have to be Enterprise Center and Family Arena out in St. Charles, correct? Chaifetz on the SLU campus isn't set up for hockey [or more correctly, I don't think it supports a 200x85 rink - though I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong on that], and there's nothing else in the area that's remotely close to being adequate unless you're talking about Bloomington, IL [which is probably too small anyway].

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad