Post-Game Talk: Well poop: Sabres win 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
With the fits he gave the Sabres last year, Gardiner's absence was a big difference in this game. Buffalo couldn't contain him last season, had no answer. Him pushing the pace makes the Leafs so much more dangerous.

Exciting game, that's for sure.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Regardless of how improved the Leafs may be defensively, they simply are not going to win many games if they can't put the puck in the net more times than their opponent does. That much is pretty clear.

The fact that they are also set up in a top-6/bottom-6 manner also tends to reduce a team's offensive output. Combine that with a mainly defensive system and you're not likely going to see the Leafs have many high-scoring games.

For this defensive system to truly work, the goaltending has to be much better than it currently is, especially against teams who are much stronger than the Leafs. Plus, they can't continue to blow really good scoring chances. They have to capitalize on such opportunities when they present themselves. If they don't, then they'll likely lose like they did in this game.

I just don't see the Leafs winning many games this season. The offensive capability just isn't there.

That's a fairly bold statement for game 2. Missing some chances is not uncommon for an early game especially in a season with no exhibition games. I expected the passes a little off and shots a little wide.

I would not consider this top 6/bottom 6 with a 3rd line of JVR/Kadri/Komarov. Especially with Kadri having 2 goals in 2 games. This team had no trouble scoring last season and it didn't help. They just need to harmonize the two facets of the game and they'll be alright.

Way too early to say what their capabilities are. Zero evidence to suggest they won't produce as much offensively as they did last year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bozak's play has not surprised me at all this year, going back to last year, he turned it around when he was placed back with Kessel.

When Lupul went down with 10 games left in the season, his production actually increased totally busting the he is carried by Lupul misnomer by scoring 8 points in the final 10 games of last season.

This year he looks even better, he hits, he mucks it up on the boards, he is the team's best faceoff man, and he's a good playmaker(unlucky Kessel and Lupul couldn't finish last night). Tyler was developed by us, it would be a shame if we lose him after at times painfully watching him develop. Nonis has to re-sign him, he is our best Center at the moment, and what is still promising he still has room to get better.

MajorityRules*

I thought we played well and definitely should have won this game. Those types of games happen. If they keep playing like this, it will be a nice year for the Leafs.

Defensively, we haven't played this well in years. Cutting down on shots and odd man rushes is a nice sight.

The offense will have to wake up a bit though.

Kulemin had a game to forget, while Phaneuf was oustanding.

Agree completely. :nod:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
They are not Top 6/Bottom 6.

Kadri's line has been just as effective on offense as it has on defense. They are not a checking line. They deserve more ice time and they will definitely get it.

What I want though..is a change on the PP.

Kessel-Kadri-Lupul
Phaneuf-Gardiner

That would be one hell of a PP. Kadri knows how to dish the puck, as does Gardiner.

We're passing the puck WAY too much right now, we need to settle down and let one shot go once in a while.

Kadri wasnt to strong on faceoffs, you need possession on the PP

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Grabo still has trade value. If he doesn't elevate his play, he's definitely trade bait to a team like Chicago which desperately needs a #2C.

something like: Grabo for Hjalmarsson, 1st/decent prospect

We need a good defensive D and Hjalmarsson is definitely one of them that would be great with the Leafs. He makes about 4M so the salaries are almost a wash and a 1st to compensate for the difference between their value.

We may have to take back salary in a deal for Grabo, Burke was fired a year too late. We probably had 15-20 pick on the table for him last year, now with his 5.5M contract it puts us in a position of swapping salaries. Would have taken a 15-20 pick and taken a Tom Wilson, Hertl, Vasilevski, Mathieson, or Laughton. Right now that would look good the way Bozak and Kadri are progressing.

EucaLEAFtys

Feb 9, 2009
In the Underdark
I know that's what you're hoping for, but how do you know that?

It's really not that hard to figure out. Most (if not all) offensively-gifted players, regardless of their age, go through goal-scoring slumps at one time or another; not to mention that very few NHL'ers (past of present) have actually accomplished such a feat.

It's a very rare and difficult feat for even the most offensively-skilled players in the game to accomplish and I highly doubt that Kardri fits into that particular player category.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
It's really not that hard to figure out. Most (if not all) offensively-gifted players, regardless of their age, go through goal-scoring slumps at one time or another; not to mention that very few NHL'ers (past of present) have actually accomplished such a feat.

It's a very rare and difficult feat for even the most offensively-skilled players in the game to accomplish and I highly doubt that Kardri fits into that particular player category.

Why point out the obvious when someone is only happy for Kadris success and him not being able to keep up the 48 goal pace is implicit?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Theres going to be a game we dont deserve to win but do. It goes both ways every season.

You're right although the Leaf goaltending prevents that from happening as often as it does with other Teams.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
What I want though..is a change on the PP.

Kessel-Kadri-Lupul
Phaneuf-Gardiner

That would be one hell of a PP. Kadri knows how to dish the puck, as does Gardiner.

We're passing the puck WAY too much right now, we need to settle down and let one shot go once in a while.

The only issue with that is Kadri is not very good at faceoffs (yet). Having to skate 200 feet to retrieve the puck more often than not after faceoffs will waste a lot of PP time. Especially if we're struggling to enter the offensive zone cleanly.

NaiveLeafsFan

Aug 29, 2010
Ajax, UofT
With the fits he gave the Sabres last year, Gardiner's absence was a big difference in this game. Buffalo couldn't contain him last season, had no answer. Him pushing the pace makes the Leafs so much more dangerous.

Exciting game, that's for sure.

Thanks for posting :) I noticed our (Leafs) transition game was really bad last night. Hopefully it picks up when Gardiner comes back.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Regardless of how improved the Leafs may be defensively, they simply are not going to win many games if they can't put the puck in the net more times than their opponent does. That much is pretty clear.

The fact that they are also set up in a top-6/bottom-6 manner also tends to reduce a team's offensive output. Combine that with a mainly defensive system and you're not likely going to see the Leafs have many high-scoring games.

For this defensive system to truly work, the goaltending has to be much better than it currently is, especially against teams who are much stronger than the Leafs. Plus, they can't continue to blow really good scoring chances. They have to capitalize on such opportunities when they present themselves. If they don't, then they'll likely lose like they did in this game.

I just don't see the Leafs winning many games this season. The offensive capability just isn't there.

1. The bolded is the most pointless statement I have seen on these boards. That's the frigging point of hockey. They are not winning any games if they don't score more than their opponent.

2. We do not run a 6/6 system. That is obvious to almost everyone. We run a 9/3 system, and it's evident by the share of ice time last night:

1st Line Avg TOI: ~21
2nd Line Avg TOI: ~16
3rd Line Avg TOI: ~15
4th Line Avg TOI: ~4.5 (If you exclude McClemments PK time)

Pretty clear that's a top 9/bottom 3 system

3. The goaltending has been fine for the past 2 games. Scrivens has let in only 3 goals, and on all 3 occasions, he could barely do anything. One was a breakaway, one took a huge deflection, and one was off a scrum in the paint. A top notch goalie could have stole one of those away, meaning thsoe were ridiculously dificult situations to make saves. The point of a strong defensive system is to limit the number of good scoring chances for the opposition, and the Leafs has been able to do that so far. Look at what a strong system did in PHX for a mediocre goalie in Smith. He is doing just fine.

4. I agree with you on this point - we need to better utilize our scoring chances. We've wasted some good chances against Montreal, and Buffalo. But, it was against 2 of the top goalies in the league in Price and Miller. If this continues against lesser goalies, than I would be worried about it. I do think the team did a poor job of screening Miller tonight. He saw almost every shot all the way through. On those nights, these kinds of goalies are almost impossible to score against.

Bottom line is we need some more time to assess the team. Afterall, the only way you know something is an issue is if it pops up game after game, and it has only been 2 games.

Last edited:

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Thought we played pretty good for the most part, outside of the powerplay which was obviously our downfall. Buffalo really only had a couple good scoring chances and they just managed to score on them.

Lupul/Kessel/Bozak line was flying last night, Lupul played a much more inspired game than against Montreal.
Kadri line was decent, he himself was terrific again.

EucaLEAFtys

Feb 9, 2009
In the Underdark
That's a fairly bold statement for game 2. Missing some chances is not uncommon for an early game especially in a season with no exhibition games. I expected the passes a little off and shots a little wide.

I would not consider this top 6/bottom 6 with a 3rd line of JVR/Kadri/Komarov. Especially with Kadri having 2 goals in 2 games. This team had no trouble scoring last season and it didn't help. They just need to harmonize the two facets of the game and they'll be alright.

Way too early to say what their capabilities are. Zero evidence to suggest they won't produce as much offensively as they did last year.

Not really all that bold when you consider the effects of a shortened season with little time between games and without the benefit of a real training campfor the Leafs to learn a brand-new system. Not to mention, teams who play defensive systems tend to score less because they're concentrating more on defence than offence.

The 3rd line of JvR/Kadri/Komarov is actually more like a checking line than it is a scoring line; none of the 3 are noted scorers in the NHL at this point in time, and neither JvR not Komarov have shown as of yet any real scoring touch. That may change as the season progresses, but I don't believe it will be significant enough to help the team win.

There really hasn't been a significant enough in the Leafs' roster from last season to this season to make me believe that they will finish any better than they did last season. Sure, a few faces have changed, but the overall talent level has not changed.

We're already seeing this team struggle to score as they continue to learn Carlyle's defensive system. In a shortened season where losing streaks can quickly kill a team's chances of earning a play-off spot, teams that play a defensive-style game have to capitize on the few good scoring chances they get every game if they want to win, and on a team like the Leafs where there is minimal offensive capability, missing such opportunities can easily cost the team a win.

Thus my "bold" opinion.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Yup, traffic is a must. It seemed to me that those giant defenders of theirs were constantly hacking and slashing in front of their net to clear the traffic out, and for the most part, they've succeeded. The refs have called their status quo of penalties on them, and let most of that stuff go. Maybe our defense needs to be a bit more assertive in front of our net, if we cross-checked Hodgson away from in front of the net, it could have been a different game.

:huh:

Quota?

MSteve

Mar 8, 2011
Anyone mentioned how Pommiville scored the winning goal by knocking down Gunner to force the 3 on 2? Might have been by accident, but that was why he was so open coming up the ice. Gunnerson was backing up and Pomm gave him a little bump and he fell down. The break happened at the same time.

Lansdown

Feb 1, 2007
Toronto
Lets see how we do against Fleury and Nabokov before we freak out about our offence. The first isn't close to as good as Miller and the second is now human garbage. I have a feeling we'll cash in bigtime in at least one of these games offensively.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Anyone mentioned how Pommiville scored the winning goal by knocking down Gunner to force the 3 on 2? Might have been by accident, but that was why he was so open coming up the ice. Gunnerson was backing up and Pomm gave him a little bump and he fell down. The break happened at the same time.

It was hard to tell but was there a delayed penalty going to Gunnarsson as well?

JoeParez

Respect This Man
Jun 19, 2007
Thought the Leafs played a good game.
My biggest pet peeve was the 5 on 3 - a simplified PP could've resulted in a goal, there was no need to be fancy.

Other than that, I saw a team that competed and played well and had their fair share of chances if it wasn't for Miller, who will probably play out of his mind this year for the Sabres. Buffalo capitalized on their chances, granted one was a deflection but the Pominville goal shows what needs to be done when an opportunity arises - bury it.

I thought Scrivens played well DESPITE THE OMGZZZZZ HOME OPENER PRESSUREE OMMGZZZ.
Cant' be faulted on the first goal, but he left his 5 hole wide open on the second.. he was also hung out to dry on that one.

Not disappointed in their effort, but I'm disappointed with the result. At least a point could've been had.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
GOOD:

1. We never gave up, kept battling.
2. Kadri - Kid needs more playing time, dammit.
3. PP chances... a ton of them.

BAD:

1. Not enough screens.
3. Gunnarsson. Just awful.
2. Miller Time was outstanding.

Kessel: 7 shots on net, two big ones... and he couldn't convert. That's why you get PAID the big bucks, homie. Score!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad