Post-Game Talk: Well poop: Sabres win 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

naturalnumbas

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto
Feel like they played pretty well, Miller was pretty good but this is a continuing story from last year. Defence first, but what about scoring some goals? Not a bad effort though. Love the Kadri line.

EucaLEAFtys

Feb 9, 2009
In the Underdark
Not that Scrivens played badly but I think tonight is the perfect example of what a #1 goalie can do.

Good effort though really.

Yes, it does show what a #1 goalie can do, but it also shows how pathitically weak the Leafs' offence still is.

Seeing the Sabres win wasn't a surprise, given that they are a stronger team than the Leafs are right now.

In my opinion, this game also illustrates what the majority of the remaining games this season are probably going to be like.. low scoring affairs with the Leafs frequently coming out on the short end of the stick.

As such, I really don't expect many Leaf wins this season.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Yes, it does show what a #1 goalie can do, but it also shows how pathitically weak the Leafs' offence still is.

Seeing the Sabres win wasn't a surprise, given that they are a stronger team than the Leafs are right now.

In my opinion, this game also illustrates what the majority of the remaining games this season are probably going to be like.. low scoring affairs with the Leafs frequently coming out on the short end of the stick.

As such, I really don't expect many Leaf wins this season.

I'm not sure I agree! Take out Miller and that game could have been a much different story. This was one of those games where no matter what they did the puck just wouldn't go in the net. Miller was fantastic and the bounces were not going there way.

I thought besides the majority of the first period, the Leafs played a GREAT hockey game. The passes were a little off their mark, especially in the first where the passes were just brutal. But as the game continued I thought they played quite well.

I thought they all were trying to hit, forcheck, and contribute in all the areas of the game. Phaneuf I thought was just right on his game, a bunch of great defensive plays and also a few blasts from teh point. Really impressed with his game last night.

I thought all four lines were decent and you could see as the game progressed they seemed to mesh more. If they play like they did the second two periods then I'll be very happy. It was a great game to watch and we got beat by a hot goalie which happens seldomly.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Feel like they played pretty well, Miller was pretty good but this is a continuing story from last year. Defence first, but what about scoring some goals? Not a bad effort though. Love the Kadri line.

Yup.

I thought the Buds looked sharper than their first game. Better speed, had plenty of chances. Miller was the difference. Looks like he is back to his old self. Scrivens looked fine, I think Fraser and Holzer were a downgrade from Franson and Komisarek. Not by much though. I think Fraser gets sent down when Gardiner returns.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I'm not sure I agree! Take out Miller and that game could have been a much different story. This was one of those games where no matter what they did the puck just wouldn't go in the net. Miller was fantastic and the bounces were not going there way.

The issue is, we can't afford to use the "hot goalie" card too often in this shortened season. The likes of Miller, Lundqvist, Price, Brodeur all have the ability to steal games on semi regular basis. The likes of Anderson, Rask, and Theodore are also good goalies, who are playing solid for their teams. With these goalies in our conference, we need to find a way to solve them. Heck, those 2 lists include every single team in our division.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Really? Grabo's the problem? Have you been watching Kulemin at all?

I don't get him anymore. What made him successful was going to the net and collecting the garbage. He never really scored much of anything pretty, but it was effective. Then he stopped doing it. I don't know what happened, but it seems like he just doesn't go to the net anymore and it's quite disappointing. Although JVR has no points, I've loved that he just parks himself in front of the goalie.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
The issue is, we can't afford to use the "hot goalie" card too often in this shortened season. The likes of Miller, Lundqvist, Price, Brodeur all have the ability to steal games on semi regular basis. The likes of Anderson, Rask, and Theodore are also good goalies, who are playing solid for their teams. With these goalies in our conference, we need to find a way to solve them. Heck, those 2 lists include every single team in our division.

I hate to regurgitate the media but in order to beat these goalies the Leafs need much more physical net presence. They need to get in Millers space and screen him and get him off his game. At one point there was a Toronto rush and the winger came up the boards while the other Leaf went behind the net????????? Why go behind the net???? Why not crash the crease while the winger puts the puck on net and bang in some rebounds. Games like last night when Miller is seeing everything, you got to get a dirty goal or two by just getting in his face.

MajorityRules*

Entertaining game. I cursed Miller quite a few times last night.

Good to see everyone here is picking their scape-goats early. It is a shortened season so no time like the present to pick out who you're going to hate on for the rest of the year.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
There was way to much passing on that 5 on 3 powerplay early on.
Phaneuf, Kessel and Bozak must have traded it off at least 5 or 6 times before a shot came.

Glad to see Kadri with goal #2.
Reimer to start next game?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I thought we played well and definitely should have won this game. Those types of games happen. If they keep playing like this, it will be a nice year for the Leafs.

Defensively, we haven't played this well in years. Cutting down on shots and odd man rushes is a nice sight.

The offense will have to wake up a bit though.

Kulemin had a game to forget, while Phaneuf was oustanding.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Highlights:
- Kadri was great once again, great vision, good physical presence, and good hustle
- Kessel and Lupul missed out on two huge opportunities in the end
- JVR was ****ing terrible. He needs to start using that big body to do something useful
- Scrivens played well, and kept us in the game with some good saves in the third
- Bozak had a good game, especially at the end with those huge draws
- Miller stole the game for Buffalo

Forgot Phaneuf.

However not surprised at this loss, Miller always ups the ante when playing against us....man is it a pain.

I just hope we learn from these mistakes under carlyle and move forward.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I hate to regurgitate the media but in order to beat these goalies the Leafs need much more physical net presence. They need to get in Millers space and screen him and get him off his game. At one point there was a Toronto rush and the winger came up the boards while the other Leaf went behind the net????????? Why go behind the net???? Why not crash the crease while the winger puts the puck on net and bang in some rebounds. Games like last night when Miller is seeing everything, you got to get a dirty goal or two by just getting in his face.

Yup, traffic is a must. It seemed to me that those giant defenders of theirs were constantly hacking and slashing in front of their net to clear the traffic out, and for the most part, they've succeeded. The refs have called their status quo of penalties on them, and let most of that stuff go. Maybe our defense needs to be a bit more assertive in front of our net, if we cross-checked Hodgson away from in front of the net, it could have been a different game.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Enjoy it while it lasts because it likely won't last much longer.

images

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Bozak probably had his best game as a Leaf last night. Kadri, Kessel, and Phaneuf were really good. Someone else who stood out was Holzer, thought he had a very good game.

Gunnarsson was alright but a step below his usual self

JVR couldnt hit the net, was really invisible most the game

Kulemin had a terrible game. Responsbile for the 1st goal as well.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Great game, Miller has got to be the best goal tender in the league and looks to be in mid season form.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just want to say again - Dion was outstanding.

Based on last night, and the game in Montreal, he was far more valuable than either Grabo or Lupul.

Yet, we had posts here saying he deserves less per term if he wants to re-sign here, the lesson continues here with what Grabo's cap implications mean to the salary structure of the team, Lupul took less to stay, will Dion when he is a much more valuable player on the Leafs than either of these 2 players?

If I am his agent, I would advise him, why should you?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Phaneuf was definitely a beast last night. With any luck he would have had a couple of more points as well.

EucaLEAFtys

Feb 9, 2009
In the Underdark

I thought besides the majority of the first period, the Leafs played a GREAT hockey game. The passes were a little off their mark, especially in the first where the passes were just brutal. But as the game continued I thought they played quite well.

I thought they all were trying to hit, forcheck, and contribute in all the areas of the game. Phaneuf I thought was just right on his game, a bunch of great defensive plays and also a few blasts from teh point. Really impressed with his game last night.

I thought all four lines were decent and you could see as the game progressed they seemed to mesh more. If they play like they did the second two periods then I'll be very happy. It was a great game to watch and we got beat by a hot goalie which happens seldomly.

Regardless of how improved the Leafs may be defensively, they simply are not going to win many games if they can't put the puck in the net more times than their opponent does. That much is pretty clear.

The fact that they are also set up in a top-6/bottom-6 manner also tends to reduce a team's offensive output. Combine that with a mainly defensive system and you're not likely going to see the Leafs have many high-scoring games.

For this defensive system to truly work, the goaltending has to be much better than it currently is, especially against teams who are much stronger than the Leafs. Plus, they can't continue to blow really good scoring chances. They have to capitalize on such opportunities when they present themselves. If they don't, then they'll likely lose like they did in this game.

I just don't see the Leafs winning many games this season. The offensive capability just isn't there.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not many are posting about Komarov... i thought he played excellent. showed some offensive flash while finishing every check

He did play very well. I think his game is better appreciated live. Wouldn't surprise me if at some point he's in the top 6.

Liles was also excellent. Best I've seen from him since his injury.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Regardless of how improved the Leafs may be defensively, they simply are not going to win many games if they can't put the puck in the net more times than their opponent does. That much is pretty clear.

The fact that they are also set up in a top-6/bottom-6 manner also tends to reduce a team's offensive output. Combine that with a mainly defensive system and you're not likely going to see the Leafs have many high-scoring games.

For this defensive system to truly work, the goaltending has to be much better than it currently is, especially against teams who are much stronger than the Leafs. Plus, they can't continue to blow really good scoring chances. They have to capitalize on such opportunities when they present themselves. If they don't, then they'll likely lose like they did in this game.

I just don't see the Leafs winning many games this season. The offensive capability just isn't there.

They are not Top 6/Bottom 6.

Kadri's line has been just as effective on offense as it has on defense. They are not a checking line. They deserve more ice time and they will definitely get it.

What I want though..is a change on the PP.

Kessel-Kadri-Lupul
Phaneuf-Gardiner

That would be one hell of a PP. Kadri knows how to dish the puck, as does Gardiner.

We're passing the puck WAY too much right now, we need to settle down and let one shot go once in a while.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Based on last night, and the game in Montreal, he was far more valuable than either Grabo or Lupul.

Yet, we had posts here saying he deserves less per term if he wants to re-sign here, the lesson continues here with what Grabo's cap implications mean to the salary structure of the team, Lupul took less to stay, will Dion when he is a much more valuable player on the Leafs than either of these 2 players?

If I am his agent, I would advise him, why should you?

I think Grabo still has trade value. If he doesn't elevate his play, he's definitely trade bait to a team like Chicago which desperately needs a #2C.

something like: Grabo for Hjalmarsson, 1st/decent prospect

We need a good defensive D and Hjalmarsson is definitely one of them that would be great with the Leafs. He makes about 4M so the salaries are almost a wash and a 1st to compensate for the difference between their value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad