Post-Game Talk: Well.... learning experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'd grade him at around a "C". Which unfortunately, I don't think its good enough. I honestly think this could have been Leivo's last game in a Leafs Jersey.

I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong but I think the dude has skills, and is good along the boards. I think given a chance higher up in the lineup and consistent playing time, he'd be a good player for us. And it doesn't seem to matter how he plays, he's the first to the press-box. Meanwhile some others could play horrible hockey for 20 games and they still get regular ice time

Reactions: PuckMagi

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Mine was worse.

I turned the game at the exact moment Tampa scored their first to make it 3-1 and watched the rest.........:ha:

Good thing I've been watching the Leafs for so long, things like this just roll off my back.

So if we pay you not to watch anymore we could finally win a Cup? How much would it take? lol

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It the first 14 pages are anything like the last two than this is a super cool thread. :laugh:

Some of you guys really need to relax. Especially that Poulin dude really needs new material.

I watched maybe the 1st. 5 minutes didn't like the feel, checked the score online saw the 1-0, then the 2-0, then the 3-0, and then saw scoreboard with it 3-1 and thought it was a good decision to turn it off when I did. Really wasn't surprised when I saw the 3-2 and then the 4-3 score online. Confirmed it was a good one to miss.

I also acknowledge that Andersen being rusty in a game was going to happen when they put him in, and while McElhinney might have been the better choice, eventually Andersen had to get back in there.

My question is why was Rielly's pairing -3? Did Andersen only suck when that pairing was on the ice?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I watched maybe the 1st. 5 minutes didn't like the feel, checked the score online saw the 1-0, then the 2-0, then the 3-0, and then saw scoreboard with it 3-1 and thought it was a good decision to turn it off when I did. Really wasn't surprised when I saw the 3-2 and then the 4-3 score online. Confirmed it was a good one to miss.

I also acknowledge that Andersen being rusty in a game was going to happen when they put him in, and while McElhinney might have been the better choice, eventually Andersen had to get back in there.

My question is why was Rielly's pairing -3? Did Andersen only suck when that pairing was on the ice?

Andersen was deep in his net on the first goal and it shouldn't have gone in. Second goal was a terrible change. 3rd goal went off Riellys skate. 4th goal Hainsey lost his stick and was completely out of position. I wouldn't really look into Riellys +/- here.

I think we played a good game yesterday but Tampa Bay took advantage of all our mistakes and misfortunes, and got some luck to go with it. Andersens first game back wasn't that great for him.

Either way, this was a good game I thought and could have gone either way. Hardly a game that we should be mad at even if blowing a 3-0 lead sucks.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland

He and Hainsey were absolutely brutal.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

Rielly wasn't himself but Hainsey was probably the worst player on the ice from either team by a fair margin last night. Don't know if he's getting worn down or what.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong but I think the dude has skills, and is good along the boards. I think given a chance higher up in the lineup and consistent playing time, he'd be a good player for us. And it doesn't seem to matter how he plays, he's the first to the press-box. Meanwhile some others could play horrible hockey for 20 games and they still get regular ice time

I'm not questioning his skill... but his skating, positioning, intensity, 'drive train' was not there last night. He was without a doubt our 12th best forward last night.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Andersen was deep in his net on the first goal and it shouldn't have gone in. Second goal was a terrible change. 3rd goal went off Riellys skate. 4th goal Hainsey lost his stick and was completely out of position. I wouldn't really look into Riellys +/- here.

I think we played a good game yesterday but Tampa Bay took advantage of all our mistakes and misfortunes, and got some luck to go with it. Andersens first game back wasn't that great for him.

Either way, this was a good game I thought and could have gone either way. Hardly a game that we should be mad at even if blowing a 3-0 lead sucks.

Well, blowing a 3-0 game isn't a game one should be happy about. Making mistakes isn't something you overlook, it is what causes issues.

As far as defense, I know some like to suggest it is okay, but I just don't buy getting a 2nd. pairing 36 year old defender for your 1st. pairing is a sign of having a good defense. Of course the future is in the minors, unless they get something at the craft fair in July, or make a deal at the draft. I think it is going to come down to defense when they bow out of the playoffs this year.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Rielly wasn't himself but Hainsey was probably the worst player on the ice from either team by a fair margin last night. Don't know if he's getting worn down or what.
I've heard a lot that he hasn't looked the same since he's returned from being sick. I don't really tend to notice him very often, which I always assume is a good thing, but 22 minutes of hockey every other night is rough, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if a guy his age is starting to slow down a bit over the course of the year.

Hopefully he's just conserving himself a bit until the Playoffs or something...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well, blowing a 3-0 game isn't a game one should be happy about. Making mistakes isn't something you overlook, it is what causes issues.

As far as defense, I know some like to suggest it is okay, but I just don't buy getting a 2nd. pairing 36 year old defender for your 1st. pairing is a sign of having a good defense. Of course the future is in the minors, unless they get something at the craft fair in July, or make a deal at the draft. I think it is going to come down to defense when they bow out of the playoffs this year.

I mean of course not but it's not like we were badly outplayed or whatever. I don't think anyone is happy about it, especially not the players or the coaches.

Hainsey has been playing over his head for a long time now. It might be the biggest mistake they did this season --- not aggressively pursue a defensive upgrade since June 2017.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not questioning his skill... but his skating, positioning, intensity, 'drive train' was not there last night. He was without a doubt our 12th best forward last night.

Admittedly I wasn't paying that close attention to him but I thought he was fine.

I've heard a lot that he hasn't looked the same since he's returned from being sick. I don't really tend to notice him very often, which I always assume is a good thing, but 22 minutes of hockey every other night is rough, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if a guy his age is starting to slow down a bit over the course of the year.

Hopefully he's just conserving himself a bit until the Playoffs or something...

Since we're locked into 3rd, I see no reason not to give some rest to the guys that need it. I assume that will start happening soon.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Admittedly I wasn't paying that close attention to him but I thought he was fine.

I didn't say otherwise. I'd say all our forwards were 'fine'...

I just don't think Leivo played well enough to play himself onto the roster with Matthews coming back and Komarov a couple games away. I also don't think he's necessarily all that more important to our team as a Moore or Martin who bring different things to the table.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
IMO Matthews and Zaitsev could be the difference in us holding our lead and winning this game, along with Andersen getting back into a groove. Not too worried about this one.

Reactions: Raging Bull

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I'd really like to see Rielly with an equal partner, or better on the first pair.

Rielly is 61st. in the NHL for Even Strength ice time per game, also 61st. TOI/g, now maybe the suggestion is the Leafs spread the ice time around to keep them fresher, but many of the best defenders in the game are in the top 20/25 for TOI/g.

It would be nice if the Leafs could trot out someone who can handle the minutes and put less responsibility on their bottom pairings. Sure the argument about the Leafs being 6th. best team in the league can't be ignored.

I suppose I'm just greedy, and want a #1 defender you can throw over the boards and feel your guy is better than their guy. Kind of like when you can throw Matthews out there and 80% of the time the other team reacts. I just don't see other teams thinking, Rielly's out we have to be careful.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
TB fan here in peace. Hell of a game last night. I will tell you this, I dont want to play Toronto in the first round. I dont think Boston wants to either. Not a great consolation prize for coming in second in the division. I think all 3 teams should be able to play a different opponent because they all are good enough teams to go to the second round for sure. Unfortunately only 2 can go. I think you guys have a great team and a great coach to guide them. They could do some real damage if they are ready for it. Having Mathews back could really go a long way towards that. Good luck. Oh and if you do play Boston in round 1 kick their ass at least to the point where they have nothing left vs TB (if we get to the 2nd round that is).

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
4-2 isn't close. 4-3 is.

You're grasping at straws if you somehow think that losing 4-2 is the same as "we almost beat them"

people will go to the far reaches of the universe to spin something until it makes sense to them...

Did the Leafs play well that series? Hell yeah.

Could they have won it? Hell yeah.

Did they "almost" win it? Hell no, they lost 4-2, since when is losing a series 4-2 "almost won it"? lol.

How many games went to OT? That's how people are saying "we almost beat them". We didn't win, but every game was a one goal game and 5 of the 6 went to OT.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I didn't say otherwise. I'd say all our forwards were 'fine'...

I just don't think Leivo played well enough to play himself onto the roster with Matthews coming back and Komarov a couple games away. I also don't think he's necessarily all that more important to our team as a Moore or Martin who bring different things to the table.

You said he was "without a doubt our 12th best forward last night" which suggests that he was a lot less "fine" and that to me seems unduly harsh.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You said he was "without a doubt our 12th best forward last night" which suggests that he was a lot less "fine" and that to me seems unduly harsh.

Can we not have 12 forwards playing 'fine'? Which forward do you think didn't play better than Leivo last night?

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
TB fan here in peace. Hell of a game last night. I will tell you this, I dont want to play Toronto in the first round. I dont think Boston wants to either. Not a great consolation prize for coming in second in the division. I think all 3 teams should be able to play a different opponent because they all are good enough teams to go to the second round for sure. Unfortunately only 2 can go. I think you guys have a great team and a great coach to guide them. They could do some real damage if they are ready for it. Having Mathews back could really go a long way towards that. Good luck. Oh and if you do play Boston in round 1 kick their ass at least to the point where they have nothing left vs TB (if we get to the 2nd round that is).

Well said. There really isn’t an easy matchup either way.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
How many games went to OT? That's how people are saying "we almost beat them". We didn't win, but every game was a one goal game and 5 of the 6 went to OT.

Yeah it's just semantics. If people have a problem with "we almost beat them" then how about "we could have easily won"? Whatever, everyone who watched the games should know what a tightly fought series it was.

Reactions: Loosie

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
The best teams in the league have to play their best to narrowly beat us. Soon their best won't be good enough. Team is on the upswing and will eventually be a powerhouse. We aren't there yet but you can see they're heading there. Patience and enjoy the journey.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Can we not have 12 forwards playing 'fine'? Which forward do you think didn't play better than Leivo last night?

Sure we can. Saying they were all fine but that Leivo somehow stood out as being less fine than everyone else seems like a contradiction to me is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad