Post-Game Talk: Well.... learning experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Mine was worse.

I turned the game at the exact moment Tampa scored their first to make it 3-1 and watched the rest.........:ha:

Good thing I've been watching the Leafs for so long, things like this just roll off my back.
same here for me.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Bro.. where have you been.. this Leafs team is likely in the top 3 teams for blown leads these past 2 or 3 years. How quickly we forget. Earlier this season they were blowing leads left right and center, a continuation from last year and the year before. They just haven't blown any leads and lost the game these past few months, but before that, we were blow them on a regular basis. They're just picking up their old habits, that's all.

The playoffs are where each team's weaknesses are exposed, and our defense and inablity to hold leads will certainly be exposed, especially against like Tampa and Boston.

To be honest, this is not the year for us and getting out of the first round will be a pipe dream. This team is awesome and the future is exciting, but the defense is a big problem and it will be exposed and cost us the series. They'll build upon the D in the offseason and be a real threat next year hopefully.

Enjoy the ride and what's left of this year, but don't expect too much just yet. A first round exit is highly likely, especially if they keep puling the same b.s. as they did tonight

Just a hot take. Sometime when I have to watch the games alone I can't vent to anyone so I jump on here... ha ha. Sorry about that. That was disheartening to watch, 'cause sometimes this team makes me (us) feel like they are further ahead than they really are... these are good games to reset the expectations; for me at least as like I said I sometimes let mine drift a little too high.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Bruins are getting it done with a mix of grizzly vets and a bunch of youngsters. Anybody playing the Bruins has to hope their kids come down to earth and can take advantage of their seniors :)

The Bruins also have a lot of injuries though - both in quantity and quality. Not sure when exactly McAvoy and Bergeron will come back? Bergeron might come back before the end of the season. McAvoy may be ready for the playoffs perhaps?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
kinda funny that the 3-0 blown lead basically cements our match up with Boston. teehee.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Frankly I'd be more worried if I was Tampa. Spotting a team a 3-0 lead is much more dangerous in the playoffs than what we did. Andersen was too rusty and we were missing our best player. Honestly we win that game 90% of the time. Shit happens though. Let them get false confidence

Last edited:

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Does anyone have the video of Stankos trip on Rielly?

I know Rielly was pissed but I didn't get a good look at the play!\

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
kinda funny that the 3-0 blown lead basically cements our match up with Boston. teehee.

Well, I'm not going to spend any time thinking about how funny that is (or isn't) but I will say that our match up with Boston is hardly "cemented", especially considering BOS and TB have two more games against each other.

I'd rather get Boston in the first round anyways.

Not me.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Does anyone have the video of Stankos trip on Rielly?

I know Rielly was pissed but I didn't get a good look at the play!\

Did we ever hear what Rielly did to cause that reaction?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Frankly I'd be more worried if I was Tampa. Spotting a team a 3-0 lead is much more dangerous in the playoffs than what we did. Andersen was too rusty and we were missing our best player. Honestly we win that game 90% of the time. **** happens though. Let them get false confidence

after being dominated by Boston before. that would seriously make me worried (more). like. honestly, the Leafs have had issues locking things down, but for me, I take this due to their youth. when more of their younger players get more experience (and we get more confident as a five man defense unit) stuff like that won't happen as much - it happens, and that's why i'm not so irate.
(and dead honest - had Andy not been coming back after what? a week? of not playing, I don't think they do come back. that would seriously worry me)

I'd rather get Boston in the first round anyways.

i am dead serious. i do not care who we face, because I am of a firm belief we'll be seeing both. I truly believe we'll win the first round, and I think the 2nd round will be a toss'em (I do think too both series will go seven and be amazing hockey). I've felt like this since before the season (well to be fair I thought we'd be more challenging for the division, and we had spurts,, but i always felt we'd have two really good playoff series, and then depending on the opponent, we'd probably challenge for the ECF).

This isn't anything to do with Fred's record vs. Tampa (or Boston), it's nothing to do with records. I just feel that we have something here that can really take a HUGE step forward.

If it's Boston, we slay the 4-1 har har har dragon.
if it's Tampa, it's suck it Stamkos, you chose wrong - we are good.

either way works for me.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Yes Losing Cally was the loss for us. It was a fun game,a huge character win for the Bolts and just what we needed. Leafs are good young team that got schooled on why you can’t take the foot off the gas. A lot of humiliated Leaf fans who earlier were going crazy while Leafs were totally dominating.

Humiliated? Nah... humbled maybe.

Only 2 parties were humiliated that night.

Bolts as a team for 40 minutes.
And Anderson in 9 minutes.

Ill take this loss with glee with injured Star AM leafs team lined w/ rookies while #1 bolts team and angry Stamkos had 2 lucky bounces on an injured rusty Anderson.

Pshhh. Humiliated. Gtfo lol

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Did we ever hear what Rielly did to cause that reaction?

Obviously an attempt to injure otherwise he wouldn't be fined!

Still searching for a gif.

This is where the NHL is failing the PR war currently.

When Shanny ran player safety, there were regular videos released explaining the call and the sentence.

If were getting these on both fines/ suspensions and key rulings like goaltender interference, we could better appreciate the context of the decisions refs / NHL make.

Here's an example that I am not clear on. If the puck is in the red paint and the player attempts to score but makes contact with the goalie, was is the criteria used for whether the is goaltender interference or not? The Pleky call comes to mind.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
after being dominated by Boston before. that would seriously make me worried (more). like. honestly, the Leafs have had issues locking things down, but for me, I take this due to their youth. when more of their younger players get more experience (and we get more confident as a five man defense unit) stuff like that won't happen as much - it happens, and that's why i'm not so irate.
(and dead honest - had Andy not been coming back after what? a week? of not playing, I don't think they do come back. that would seriously worry me)

i am dead serious. i do not care who we face, because I am of a firm belief we'll be seeing both. I truly believe we'll win the first round, and I think the 2nd round will be a toss'em (I do think too both series will go seven and be amazing hockey). I've felt like this since before the season (well to be fair I thought we'd be more challenging for the division, and we had spurts,, but i always felt we'd have two really good playoff series, and then depending on the opponent, we'd probably challenge for the ECF).

This isn't anything to do with Fred's record vs. Tampa (or Boston), it's nothing to do with records. I just feel that we have something here that can really take a HUGE step forward.

If it's Boston, we slay the 4-1 har har har dragon.
if it's Tampa, it's suck it Stamkos, you chose wrong - we are good.

either way works for me.

I think Boston in the first round is less dangerous then meeting them later on, they also have some lingering injuries I think we could exploit using our speed and skill.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I do think fans, bouyed by Andersen and the powerplay, have an inflated sense of just how good this team is right now.

Tampa showed up for 13 minutes last night, steamrolled the Leafs with ease, and then shut it down.

That's just 2 wins from their last 11 games for a Leafs team who will be starting the playoffs on the road.

Think some have gotten way too far ahead of themselves here.

Reactions: AnishLoomba

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Obviously an attempt to injure otherwise he wouldn't be fined!

Still searching for a gif.

This is where the NHL is failing the PR war currently.

When Shanny ran player safety, there were regular videos released explaining the call and the sentence.

If were getting these on both fines/ suspensions and key rulings like goaltender interference, we could better appreciate the context of the decisions refs / NHL make.

Here's an example that I am not clear on. If the puck is in the red paint and the player attempts to score but makes contact with the goalie, was is the criteria used for whether the is goaltender interference or not? The Pleky call comes to mind.
Rielly was fined as well? He didn't get a penalty.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The Bruins also have a lot of injuries though - both in quantity and quality. Not sure when exactly McAvoy and Bergeron will come back? Bergeron might come back before the end of the season. McAvoy may be ready for the playoffs perhaps?

Their young and old stars will most likely show up. We have to hope the majority of Heinen, DeBrusk, Carlo, Schaller, Kurally, Backes, Chara, Gionta, Miller, Grzelcyk, Bjork, the Nashes, Krejci don't. It seems that everybody they recall plays great.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Let's be honest, you were going to dig in on Polak as well because Polak.

Hyman was playing a great game last night. And has 14 goals.

Nylander only has 15.

Babs usually plays in crunch play time, the players who on any given day are performing well. And last night it was Hyman.

Just so you know...ya know?

I've almost never talk about Polak. Is what he is.

Hyman should not be on the ice with an empty net because he's a turnover machine and you need to maintain puck possession desperately in that situation. What'd ge do? Turned the puck over for absolutely no reason resulting in a game ending clear. Again, we didn't deserve to win, but a terrible coaching decision none the less.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I've almost never talk about Polak. Is what he is.

Hyman should not be on the ice with an empty net because he's a turnover machine and you need to maintain puck possession desperately in that situation. What'd ge do? Turned the puck over for absolutely no reason resulting in a game ending clear. Again, we didn't deserve to win, but a terrible coaching decision none the less.

What did any leaf do?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I do think fans, bouyed by Andersen and the powerplay, have an inflated sense of just how good this team is right now.

Tampa showed up for 13 minutes last night, steamrolled the Leafs with ease, and then shut it down.

That's just 2 wins from their last 11 games for a Leafs team who will be starting the playoffs on the road.

Think some have gotten way too far ahead of themselves here.

If Andersen and our powerplay are part of why our team is good, what's wrong with that?

Actually they showed up for 60 minutes, got badly outplayed for the first 37 and then made a nice comeback, aided by a lucky bounce.

We have been super hot for over a month now and won 4 straight before last night's game.

Maybe some people are getting ahead of themselves. Then again, maybe some people are overreacting to losing one relatively meaningless close game, on the road, without our best player against one of the top teams in the league.

Reactions: TIGERCOOL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->