Well-Known Hockey People Who Barely Played in the NHL

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Considering the game situation I would not be surprised if Craig was injured when Ogrodnick scored the goal.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
A couple of others:

Scott Sandelin. He won three NCAA titles in the 2010s as head coach at Minnesota-Duluth. He played 25 NHL games.

Though Barry Melrose did play 300 NHL games he is probably more identified from coaching and certainly his work at ESPN.

Reactions: The Panther

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org

A mid-winter Norris division game between a good Northstars squad, and a terrible Wings squad.

3 fights, none of them really involving notable heavyweights.

Minnesota somehow chased Holland in the first five minutes but he also managed to play over 30 minutes total (Stefan was even worse so they put Holland back in?)

Yzerman scored but was still minus 3?

Cant really tell but it seems like Craig started but was pulled while leading the game comfortably.

Torn left hamstring. It ended up being his last NHL game, although he did manage to return to CHL Salt Lake by the end of their season (second image is from his last pro game, a 6-3 playoff loss to John Vanbiesbrouck and the Tulsa Oilers.

1709568073853.png

1709568343524.png

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Jack Capuano

Kevin Cheveldayoff and David Quinn were both 1st round picks who never played an NHL game and then resurfaced in coaching/managerial roles.
Duncan MacPherson.

1st round (20th overall) in the 1984 draft. After several years in the WHL, then the AHL, MacPherson set his sites on playing in Europe in 1989. He decided to go skiing in Austria before he reported to Scotland to play in the British league.

Sadly, MacPherson was injured skiing. Sometime shortly after, a snow clearing machine is alleged to have run him over. MacPherson’s body was found to have suffered significant trauma, including amputation of arms, hands and legs. The damage is consistent with rotating machinery; his snowboard also had a uniform pattern of damage and was cut apart, which indicates that it too had gone through a machine.

He was buried within a glacier along the ski route. The resort had been found to have deliberately covered up his disappearance. The Duncan MacPherson case was broadcast on The Fifth Estate several years ago.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Scotty Bowman comes to mind. And that would be zero games he played. Possibly thanks to an injury he suffered.

He played over 800 NHL games, but how many people remember Joel Quenneville in the NHL? Played on Hartford mostly.

Marc Crawford played in just 176 NHL games, but was on the 1982 Canucks

Todd McClellan played 5 NHL games and coached over 1100 so far.

Fred Shero played three seasons for the Rangers.

115 games for George McPhee

Reactions: The Panther

Rockman74

Feb 10, 2024
I don’t see Chuck Norris name out there, but he has a trophy named after him…

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Duncan MacPherson.

1st round (20th overall) in the 1984 draft. After several years in the WHL, then the AHL, MacPherson set his sites on playing in Europe in 1989. He decided to go skiing in Austria before he reported to Scotland to play in the British league.

Sadly, MacPherson was injured skiing. Sometime shortly after, a snow clearing machine is alleged to have run him over. MacPherson’s body was found to have suffered significant trauma, including amputation of arms, hands and legs. The damage is consistent with rotating machinery; his snowboard also had a uniform pattern of damage and was cut apart, which indicates that it too had gone through a machine.

He was buried within a glacier along the ski route. The resort had been found to have deliberately covered up his disappearance. The Duncan MacPherson case was broadcast on The Fifth Estate several years ago.
I saw a video about this player's demise. He was trying to be a coach in a European league, Scotland I think, and broke his leg snowboarding on vacation. What a sad story.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I saw a video about this player's demise. He was trying to be a coach in a European league, Scotland I think, and broke his leg snowboarding on vacation. What a sad story.
Are you sure about that? I heard that he fell into some type of pit, and was seriously injured. Then the snow plow/machine ran over him, and the blades pretty much mangled his body to pieces. I suppose if they performed an autopsy, it would clear things up. However, the authorities never performed an official autopsy.

Either way, the fact that the Austrian resort covered up his death, to prevent bad publicity, was disgusting. This website sheds light about the facts of the case, and the cover-up:

Concealing the Cause and Manner of Death | Cold a Long Time: An Alpine Mystery

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Are you sure about that? I heard that he fell into some type of pit, and was seriously injured. Then the snow plow/machine ran over him, and the blades pretty much mangled his body to pieces. I suppose if they performed an autopsy, it would clear things up. However, the authorities never performed an official autopsy.

Either way, the fact that the Austrian resort covered up his death, to prevent bad publicity, was disgusting. This website sheds light about the facts of the case, and the cover-up:

Concealing the Cause and Manner of Death | Cold a Long Time: An Alpine Mystery
The video I saw is entitled "Pro hockey player's case was a 14 year mystery", on Youtube, by Mr. Ballen. It's hard to cross-check the Youtuber's sources, but he goes into quite a bit of detail. Apparently there was a fog on the glacier, a plough driver may have mangled his body, and MacPherson might have been buried alive as part of negligence cover-up.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Darryl reaugh is well known to people who played the EA sports NHL series in the late 90s. He was the color guy to Jim Hughson.

I also think he was one of the better known regional color guys.

He only played 27 games spread between 84-85 to 90-91

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The video I saw is entitled "Pro hockey player's case was a 14 year mystery", on Youtube, by Mr. Ballen. It's hard to cross-check the Youtuber's sources, but he goes into quite a bit of detail. Apparently there was a fog on the glacier, a plough driver may have mangled his body, and MacPherson might have been buried alive as part of negligence cover-up.
Buried alive or not, the snow plow killed him. He was still alive when he came into contact with it. i think 3 of his limbs were amputated by the machine, and that is not including what it did to his torso. It should be noted that the snowboard that MacPherson rented (and had been recorded as "returned"), was found broken in half along with his body.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Alain Vigneault played 42 games, all with the Blues - he would go on to coach 1,363 games making two SCF'S.

(of course this can change, hes not retired)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad