Well-Known Hockey People Who Barely Played in the NHL

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Kind of opposite to the thread about players who played a long time but never made it to 1000 games, how about well-known hockey people who played in the NHL but barely played?

Examples:

Don Cherry
-- Defenseman played one playoff game for Boston on March 31st, 1955 (no points scored). Bruins lost 5-1 to Montreal. Cherry defended against Béliveau, Geoffrion, and Moore (Rocket Richard didn't play as he was suspended).

Ken Holland
-- Goaltender appeared in 4 career regular season games: 1 for Hartford on Nov. 11th 1980 @ New York (lost, giving up 7 goals on 46 shots), and 3 for Detroit in January / February 1984 (2 losses, 1 tie -- he appeared in relief in one game, and got pulled in another). Holland played with Mark Howe and Dave Keon for Hartford (and faced Phil Esposito), and then played with Steve Yzerman and Brad Park for Detroit.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
18257.jpg

Peter Laviolette, New York Rangers 1988 (12 games played, 0+0=0)

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
18257.jpg

Peter Laviolette, New York Rangers 1988 (12 games played, 0+0=0)

Few players will be handed jersey number 39, and be able to tell their grandkids about their lengthy nhl career.

Skrudland and Gilmour are the only ones that come to my mind.

It's like that old Seinfeld joke where your future is pretty much mapped out for you if your parents name you jeeves.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Few players will be handed jersey number 39, and be able to tell their grandkids about their lengthy nhl career.

It's like that old Seinfeld joke where your future is pretty much mapped out for you if your parents name you jeeves.
I guess this would be a good time to post this strange, possibly interesting, possibly insignificant tidbit:

My mom turned 60 a few weeks back. I was in charge of going through old photos to make a montage. I became obsessed with this one photo I found, from about 1992, with my 9-years younger half-brother brother at the house of a member of his 'other' family, with a TV in the background, where a game-opening faceoff was taking place. (I deduced 1992 based on the apparent age of my brother, born August 1990).

For some reason, when I see things like this I end up obsessively trying to determine the exact date of the photo or video (old silent home movies of me at age 5 feature a ladies' golf tournament on TV in the background and I was able to determine the date of the video using the names that came on screen).

Anyway, if it wasn't for Skrudland being one of the few significant players wearing #39 this one would have been too difficult to figure out. The player on the left appears to be #21, and I went through the rosters of every team looking for a #21 at center during the 1991-92 season. There was a handful of them. A few I could eliminate based on the jersey, but I also didn't see enough color to conclude which team it was.

Spoiler in case you want to guess who/when this was:

It turns out that #21 on the left is Andrew Cassels. He's on the Whalers. The Habs are in white, so they're the home team. Which means that if this is from their 1992 opening round playoff series, it's game 1, 2, 5 or 7. Further investigation revealed that this series in fact opened on Easter Sunday, April 15th, 1992. This would have been why my brother was at a family member's house and why the cameras were out. And completely by chance, what is very likely the opening faceoff of this epic series was captured in the background of this otherwise inconsequential photo. With my camera on full zoom I was able to catch the 9 on Skrudland's arm. With one's bare eyes you can only make out the 3, and that the player on the right is probably a Hab.

Attachments

• 20240211_004516.jpg
    20240211_004516.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Even St. Louis rookie Gilmour got #18 at first before being able to shift to his preferred #9. Maybe it then became #39 in Calgary because #9, #19, and #29 were all taken there.

But Laviolette isn't in too bad company here because directly after him it was young rookie Doug Weight that got the #39 in New York.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Jason Spezza was #39.

1709492743318.png

He switched to his preferred #19 two seasons later when Hasek arrived.

He actually also wore #44 in development camp and pre-season.

1709492965378.png

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Dave Morissette had a nice hockey media career in Québec, I really thought he played more than 11 games in his career maybe around half an our of total ice time, still 57 min of PIM

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Probably not super well-known, but Todd Richards (former Wild coach, now with Nashville) put up 4 assists in just 2 regular season NHL games with Hartford back in 1990-91, his first stint in the league.

He then followed up with 6 pointless games the next season and a decent first round playoff series and that was it for his NHL career.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Even St. Louis rookie Gilmour got #18 at first before being able to shift to his preferred #9. Maybe it then became #39 in Calgary because #9, #19, and #29 were all taken there.

But Laviolette isn't in too bad company here because directly after him it was young rookie Doug Weight that got the #39 in New York.

And fast forward close to top decades later.... laviolette is celebrating a Stanley cup as a young coach and one of his players is a grizzled veteran Doug weight.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Bruce Boudreau played 150 NHL games mostly for the Maple Leafs and in the late 70s but had a fairly robust AHL career after that. Had about 0.5 points per game in the big league, but yet is known for being a run-and-gun coach.

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I guess this would be a good time to post this strange, possibly interesting, possibly insignificant tidbit:

My mom turned 60 a few weeks back. I was in charge of going through old photos to make a montage. I became obsessed with this one photo I found, from about 1992, with my 9-years younger half-brother brother at the house of a member of his 'other' family, with a TV in the background, where a game-opening faceoff was taking place. (I deduced 1992 based on the apparent age of my brother, born August 1990).

For some reason, when I see things like this I end up obsessively trying to determine the exact date of the photo or video (old silent home movies of me at age 5 feature a ladies' golf tournament on TV in the background and I was able to determine the date of the video using the names that came on screen).

Anyway, if it wasn't for Skrudland being one of the few significant players wearing #39 this one would have been too difficult to figure out. The player on the left appears to be #21, and I went through the rosters of every team looking for a #21 at center during the 1991-92 season. There was a handful of them. A few I could eliminate based on the jersey, but I also didn't see enough color to conclude which team it was.

Spoiler in case you want to guess who/when this was:

It turns out that #21 on the left is Andrew Cassels. He's on the Whalers. The Habs are in white, so they're the home team. Which means that if this is from their 1992 opening round playoff series, it's game 1, 2, 5 or 7. Further investigation revealed that this series in fact opened on Easter Sunday, April 15th, 1992. This would have been why my brother was at a family member's house and why the cameras were out. And completely by chance, what is very likely the opening faceoff of this epic series was captured in the background of this otherwise inconsequential photo. With my camera on full zoom I was able to catch the 9 on Skrudland's arm. With one's bare eyes you can only make out the 3, and that the player on the right is probably a Hab.

Looks to be Andrew Cassels of Hartford

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
By chance, one of Ken Holland's four career games was against Jim Craig in one of his 30 career games. ; )

A mid-winter Norris division game between a good Northstars squad, and a terrible Wings squad.

3 fights, none of them really involving notable heavyweights.

Minnesota somehow chased Holland in the first five minutes but he also managed to play over 30 minutes total (Stefan was even worse so they put Holland back in?)

Yzerman scored but was still minus 3?

Cant really tell but it seems like Craig started but was pulled while leading the game comfortably.

Reactions: Doctor No

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan

A mid-winter Norris division game between a good Northstars squad, and a terrible Wings squad.

3 fights, none of them really involving notable heavyweights.

Minnesota somehow chased Holland in the first five minutes but he also managed to play over 30 minutes total (Stefan was even worse so they put Holland back in?)

Yzerman scored but was still minus 3?

Cant really tell but it seems like Craig started but was pulled while leading the game comfortably.
Yeah, I looked at the summary but I couldn't figure out the goalie situation either!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad