GDT: Well, it's game day... again... Nashville at Buffalo, 7:00 pm; Dec 3rd.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Yep. Rolston's unprepared teams or Housley's unprepared teams were considerably worse than what is going on with this stretch of Sabres hockey. Phil's absolutely crushing use of O'Reilly as a d-zone guy was the key underpinning of why ROR asked out. Yes, Granato may have hit the wall with what he could bring out of this roster and I have felt for some time that his loyalty to his friends who he brought in on staff is a potential weakness that seems now to be exposed for what it is. But holy crap he got more out of them than anyone since Ruff.
The assistant coach debacle absolutely confounds me. They pay someone to ”coach” this power play? Really? More than minimum wage? Unf***ing believable..

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Yep. Rolston's unprepared teams or Housley's unprepared teams were considerably worse than what is going on with this stretch of Sabres hockey. Phil's absolutely crushing use of O'Reilly as a d-zone guy was the key underpinning of why ROR asked out. Yes, Granato may have hit the wall with what he could bring out of this roster and I have felt for some time that his loyalty to his friends who he brought in on staff is a potential weakness that seems now to be exposed for what it is. But holy crap he got more out of them than anyone since Ruff.
exactly. Unfortunately it seems like Donnie MAY have hit his ceiling with this roster (we talked about this earlier today - it certainly seems from Granato’s demeanor that he expected more roster moves this offseason and not more young players.) Adams did him no favors asking him to take this team to the next level while basically giving him nothing to do it with.

Asking and expecting a 3rd straight season of strictly internal growth while sitting on your prospect treasure trove is insane. Adams has done 0 favors to Granato and hasn’t given him anywhere close to the personnel he needs to battle back against what teams are throwing at them this year.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Actually it wasn't bad if they had been not losing all the time.
Score was close but the stat sheet doesn't always tell the story. Was curious. Not gonna lie I haven't watched the last handful of games. The football games were/are more entertaining. I dont think I've caught a game since tage got hurt honestly. Outside of watching peterka's growth there isn't much to look forward to...

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Score was close but the stat sheet doesn't always tell the story. Was curious. Not gonna lie I haven't watched the last handful of games. The football games were/are more entertaining. I dont think I've caught a game since tage got hurt honestly. Outside of watching peterka's growth there isn't much to look forward to...
And Benson.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Benson had a real good game too. The kid is rearless.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Agreed. My mistake. I've caught bits and pieces of games but haven't just sat and watched the full thing in awhile so im relying on input from others on how the game collectively went.
I haven’t watched a game in a longer time than you, but people’s responses here about Benson are a single ray of hope.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Hope he has a good belt then...

I haven’t watched a game in a longer time than you, but people’s responses here about Benson are a single ray of hope.
I watched every game of the bad years religiously. Id host friends at my house and buy food and beer etc just to watch it go to waste lol. Now I nap or spend time with my family. When they turn a corner or make moves that show any semblance of intelligence ill tune right back in.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Well said

Adams lack of moves is frustrsting. Botts moves themselves were frustrating.

At this point at least KA didnt pull a GMTM and blow his asset load early when the team wasnt ready to win yet.

Playoffs were/are the hope this season, but its obvious that a deep playoff run was never in the cards.

Adams still has moves to make, My only hope is whats on the ice is enough for him to get a move on it.
Murray had the nearly impossible task of rebuilding the main roster core and the prospect pool. His best assets he had were Hodgson and Ennis. He felt it was more important to get important roles filled with vets (see top 6 forwards, starting goaltending) via using assets he had to utilize and then use the other seasons to build up assets and the pipeline. It was the opposite approach that Adams took. Murray quickly slowed down with his asset overload once he achieved the change which needed to be done. Kulikov, too 4 acquisition was his last spurge which unfortunately sucked because of the bench door.

Where Murray failed was the coaching hires in the AHL and the NHL.

Murray was fired not because of the team results and standings, but because Pegula didn’t like not being involved in day to day actions and felt Murray was difficult to work with.

id take Murray back in a heartbeat. He at least attempted to fill holes.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
1701662443625.png

I am not good at this stuff, but someone can probably clean this up.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Murray had the nearly impossible task of rebuilding the main roster core and the prospect pool. His best assets he had were Hodgson and Ennis. He felt it was more important to get important roles filled with vets (see top 6 forwards, starting goaltending) via using assets he had to utilize and then use the other seasons to build up assets and the pipeline. It was the opposite approach that Adams took. Murray quickly slowed down with his asset overload once he achieved the change which needed to be done. Kulikov, too 4 acquisition was his last spurge which unfortunately sucked because of the bench door.

Where Murray failed was the coaching hires in the AHL and the NHL.

Murray was fired not because of the team results and standings, but because Pegula didn’t like not being involved in day to day actions and felt Murray was difficult to work with.

id take Murray back in a heartbeat. He at least attempted to fill holes.
Murray failed by trading for disturbed personalities like ROR, Lehner, Kane and Bogosian, guys who made sure their innate talent was more than offset by their toxic personalities and lifestyles. Sprinkle in the groundwork he laid for Eichel's insufferable sense of entitlement, and well you just set up a franchise for failure.

But yes, I did enjoy his contempt for the Pegulas opinions on hockey matters, and he's been the only exec in the organization (save for Lafontaine's cameo) to tell these billionaire goobers to piss off and go play on their yacht while the adults take care of hockey business. Granted they were so offended by his brazen disregard for their meaningless ideas about building a hockey team that they doubled down after his ouster by seeking out executives who bow meekly before the House of Pegula and do their master's bidding to the detriment of the greater Buffalo metropolitan area.

He scarred them beyond repair, a metaphorical slappin of the Pegulas pee pees if you will,

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I was at the game tonight and thought we played well enough to win tonight. We a rough 1st period, but played a decent 2nd and great 3rd. Saros is so damn good...Why didn't we trade for him again?

Reactions: hizzoner

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Sabres need to stop playing exciting skill hockey and goon it up by trading all skill players except thompson and dahlin who care for William carrier types play nj trap and might sneak into playoffs w current tech

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad