Blue Jays Discussion: :( well it was a hell of a ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Jays need a 1B to play every day . With Encarnacion being just a DH it can cause problems, it can disrupt the team when you have to make room for him over at first. If the Jays had reached the World Series there's no doubt that Encarnacion would have played over at first while Colabello would be on the bench but with the way he played in the playoffs he wouldn't deserve to sit on the bench. EE is the perfect trading piece to getting a starting pitcher

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Jays need a 1B to play every day . With Encarnacion being just a DH it can cause problems, it can disrupt the team when you have to make room for him over at first. If the Jays had reached the World Series there's no doubt that Encarnacion would have played over at first while Colabello would be on the bench but with the way he played in the playoffs he wouldn't deserve to sit on the bench. EE is the perfect trading piece to getting a starting pitcher

Not really. EE is purely a DH, which limits trade partners to AL teams. Then there's his 10 and 5 rights, and the fact he's on the last year of his deal, and that narrows potential suitors even further. Also, anyone picking him up is likely going to want to flip prospects, because they'll be contenders and won't want to sacrifice significant ML pieces. People who are advocating trading Jose and EE are forgetting that trading is a two-way street, where the needs of both teams have to be considered.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
You could trade EE if you sign Davis with Smoakabello dh
But the Latin contingent would be in tears

this. If we traded EE than you go out and try and sign Davis. Other than that how the hell are we going to replace his bat? I'm not too keen on trading big pieces unless we're rebuilding and I'm not sure how good the upgrade would be on the pitching front if we moved him for a pitcher.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Smoakabello did a damn good job for us this year. I would hope they're back at first base next year. If we're targeting a free agent bat, then I'd go after Alex Gordon.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
If we let Price go, I'd go after a couple of the mid rotation FA's and Chris Davis. Snag a couple bullpen arms as well

Travis
Donaldson
Bautista
Encarnacion
Davis
Tulowitzki
Martin
Pillar
Revere/Saunders

Stroman
FA
FA
Sanchez
Dickey/FA/Trade/Hutch

P.S, I'd be perfectly fine with Cola/Smoak again, but getting that upgrade would be nice. First priority would be the starters and bullpen though

Well this will never happen, but if it did I guarantee Davis would be hitting ahead of EE.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
They NEED 2 top 3 pitchers and a top bullpen arm. After that if there is still money, they can either upgrade 1b or lf. If not, I am fine with the position players. But the pitching as of right now is a steaming pile of ****.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
And he'll be worth every penny.

It isn't to say he's not worth every penny, but I wonder if Rogers would be fine with it on the assumption that they sign Price to a similar contract. An outfield with Heyward - Pillar - Bautista is no joke.

As for people who are slotting in Sanchez on the rotation, I highly doubt he's ready to take on the starting job. He's still young and hasn't had the greatest outings in some of the games he's played. Osuna on the other hand could very well be someone with starting potential. I'd be fine with keeping them in the bullpen to develop further before giving them a rotation job.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
You could trade EE if you sign Davis with Smoakabello dh
But the Latin contingent would be in tears

they seemed to move on from Reyes pretty easily. Winning >. Plus who's the latin contingent now? Bautista, Edwin, and... .... .... ...

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Smoakabello did a damn good job for us this year. I would hope they're back at first base next year. If we're targeting a free agent bat, then I'd go after Alex Gordon.

If you were to get another top bat I'd go after Upton. Younger player that has upside, had a down year, and he hits for power which would bode well in the Rogers center.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
They had the fastest runner on our team on third, nobody out.
And couldn't score him.
I just can't get over it. I'm trying, but can't.

If they were trying to NOT score the runner, it would be difficult.
I just don't understand how it happened. Pretty much hit the ball in any way possible, and we will score.

What are the actual odds of getting your fastest runner on third, none out, and not scoring him?
I don't mean to hyperbolize, I'm speaking honestly, and I think the odds of that are approximately 1 in 17.6 billion. But that's just an approximation.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
They had the fastest runner on our team on third, nobody out.
And couldn't score him.
I just can't get over it. I'm trying, but can't.

If they were trying to NOT score the runner, it would be difficult.
I just don't understand how it happened. Pretty much hit the ball in any way possible, and we will score.

What are the actual odds of getting your fastest runner on third, none out, and not scoring him?
I don't mean to hyperbolize, I'm speaking honestly, and I think the odds of that are approximately 1 in 17.6 billion. But that's just an approximation.

A walk, 2 strikeouts which each had a borderline call for strike 2 (and thus affected what the plays swung at next pitch), and then a groundout. Really not that hard to fathom.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
A walk, 2 strikeouts which each had a borderline call for strike 2 (and thus affected what the plays swung at next pitch), and then a groundout. Really not that hard to fathom.

True, but shouldn't a runner score more than 90% of the time in that situation? What's the major league average? Bad umpiring or not, it was a huge fail.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
True, but shouldn't a runner score more than 90% of the time in that situation? What's the major league average? Bad umpiring or not, it was a huge fail.

Can you even fathom a world where KC had their fastest runner on third, none out, and couldn't score him?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

Well this was that 10%. The first player up after got a walk, hard to get a hit and advance the runner when you get a walk. The bad umpiring then made it two out. Navarro was at 1-1 when the bad call came, and guess what he swung at the next pitch which was in the exact same location, there's your first out. Revere was at 2-1 and the bad pitch should have been 3-1, but instead it was 2-2, so Revere swung at the next pitch well now there's two out, then Donaldson ground out, there's your 3.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Well this was that 10%. The first player up after got a walk, hard to get a hit and advance the runner when you get a walk. The bad umpiring then made it two out. Navarro was at 1-1 when the bad call came, and guess what he swung at the next pitch which was in the exact same location, there's your first out. Revere was at 2-1 and the bad pitch should have been 3-1, but instead it was 2-2, so Revere swung at the next pitch well now there's two out, then Donaldson ground out, there's your 3.

We know exactly what happened.
We're just saying it was an epic fail.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
they seemed to move on from Reyes pretty easily. Winning >. Plus who's the latin contingent now? Bautista, Edwin, and... .... .... ...

Osuna and Estrada? Do they count? Carrera?

Plus they may bring in more :laugh:

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Idk if I can call what happened a fail. The umpire's terrible strike calls completely changed the game as far as Navarro and Revere's hitting were concerned.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Can you even fathom a world where KC had their fastest runner on third, none out, and couldn't score him?

Well the Royals did have 1st and 2nd none out in the bottom half of the previous inning, with a 3-0 count to Moustakas, and they didn't bring one of them home. Batters struck out like 50% of the time with 2 strikes against Wade Davis. You could conceivably expect one of Navarro or Revere to strike out in that situation while the other one groundout, but if you were to look at Wade Davis in high leverage situations you'd know that he was stingy all season. He allowed 6 hits with runners in scoring position this year, and only 3 earned runs. The OPS also swings roughly .600 points when Davis gets ahead of the batter. So a 2-1 count for Navarro or a 3-1 count for Revere likely resulted in a much better opportunity for them, which is pretty obvious considering they weren't at 2 strikes against one of (if not the) best relievers in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad