Blue Jays Discussion: :( well it was a hell of a ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Does he take into account the raises to Martin and Donaldson?

We are also paying more to Tulo next year also right, or is that offset by dumping Reyes?

According to Spotrac.com, we have 138 million in salary. 106 million for the main roster, 25 million in retained salaries, a little under 7 million in disabled list money and about 300k in buried salaries.

All but 600k of the 25 million in retained salaries comes off, all of the buried salaries are gone, and most of the ~7 million in disabled list money comes off (1 million buyout on Izturis which I somewhat expect to happen, 600k from Travis comes off and moves to the main roster, and Saunders' 3 million comes off and if we bring him back, it should be at a drastically reduced price. I expect Travis + Saunders to cost 2 million next year.

So let's break it down.
Bautista: 14 million (Cumulative: 14 million)
Encarnacion: 10 million (Cumulative: 24 million)
Martin: 15 million (Cumulative: 39 million)
Tulowitzki: 20 million (Cumulative: 59 million)
Dickey: 12 million (Cumulative: 71 million)
Travis+Saunders: 2 million (Cumulative: 73 million)
Donaldson: 14 million high (Cumulative: 87 million)
Osuna+Goins: 1 million (Cumulative: 88 million)
TC players: 2.9 million (Cumulative: 90.9 million)*
Dead Salary: 1.6 million (Cumulative: 92.5 million)**
Pompey: 200k (Cumulative: 92.7 million)

*Sanchez, Colabello, Stroman, Carrera, Pillar and Hendriks
** Izturis buyout (1 million) + 600k from Romero.

So there is about 45.7 million from last year to spend on whomever of the following from last year's roster: Price, Estrada, Navarro, Cecil, Thole, Revere, Pennington, Smoak, Hawkins, Hutchison, Loup, Schultz, Tepera, Delabar, Barney, Lowe, Kawasaki, Francis, Hague, Jenkins and Diaz.

That is also money we would have to spend on any FA's or trades we want, but that assumes we don't spend more money from last year, which I highly doubt.

Information courtesy of Spotrac.com

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Oh I absolutely do. I just see the value in getting a proven bat and then trading a Pompey for a proven arm (part of a package). That in theory let's us upgrade in two places and helps keep the window wide open.

So we are that against getting rid of Revere? First guy traded I guess. Why not just do what we did with Lind last year? Tender him and then trade him for a pitcher?

Pompey/Saunders not good enough for LF? Maybe not, but then again I'm sure similar doubts were placed on Pillar, Goins, and others last year.

If neither turn out, then we'll have to look for an upgrade like we did with Revere. Who was there before Revere showed up, because it wasn't Pompey or Saunders (whom only played like 4 games all year).

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
It'll be really interesting to see what Gordon and Heyward get.

Heyward is projected to get anywhere from 160M to 200M+ over 7-8 years.

I think Gordon will get around 100-110M over 5 years.

So, while Heyward is better, but he's also going to get a much larger contract.

Regarding, Jordan Zimmerman, I don't really want him. He's going to be asking for too much for a guy who isn't an ace.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
We are also paying more to Tulo next year also right, or is that offset by dumping Reyes?

According to Spotrac.com, we have 138 million in salary. 106 million for the main roster, 25 million in retained salaries, a little under 7 million in disabled list money and about 300k in buried salaries.

All but 600k of the 25 million in retained salaries comes off, all of the buried salaries are gone, and most of the ~7 million in disabled list money comes off (1 million buyout on Izturis which I somewhat expect to happen, 600k from Travis comes off and moves to the main roster, and Saunders' 3 million comes off and if we bring him back, it should be at a drastically reduced price. I expect Travis + Saunders to cost 2 million next year.

So let's break it down.
Bautista: 14 million (Cumulative: 14 million)
Encarnacion: 10 million (Cumulative: 24 million)
Martin: 15 million (Cumulative: 39 million)
Tulowitzki: 20 million (Cumulative: 59 million)
Dickey: 12 million (Cumulative: 71 million)
Travis+Saunders: 2 million (Cumulative: 73 million)
Donaldson: 14 million high (Cumulative: 87 million)
Osuna+Goins: 1 million (Cumulative: 88 million)
TC players: 2.9 million (Cumulative: 90.9 million)*
Dead Salary: 1.6 million (Cumulative: 92.5 million)**
Pompey: 200k (Cumulative: 92.7 million)

*Sanchez, Colabello, Stroman, Carrera, Pillar and Hendriks
** Izturis buyout (1 million) + 600k from Romero.

So there is about 45.7 million from last year to spend on whomever of the following from last year's roster: Price, Estrada, Navarro, Cecil, Thole, Revere, Pennington, Smoak, Hawkins, Hutchison, Loup, Schultz, Tepera, Delabar, Barney, Lowe, Kawasaki, Francis, Hague, Jenkins and Diaz.

That is also money we would have to spend on any FA's or trades we want, but that assumes we don't spend more money from last year, which I highly doubt.

Information courtesy of Spotrac.com

You'd have to expect or at least hope to expect that AA and company will be bringing back: Estrada, Cecil, Revere, Lowe, Loup, Smoak and Thole. Price and Navarro are the 2 that we can expect to chase the money and job elsewhere. The rest of them could very well be back on league minimum deals (minor league deals). Smoak is actually one o believe they'll definitely let walk, have that gut feeling.

mikebel111*

Why do some want Davis, I am perfectly fine with Smoak and Colabello again

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
You'd have to expect or at least hope to expect that AA and company will be bringing back: Estrada, Cecil, Revere, Lowe, Loup, Smoak and Thole. Price and Navarro are the 2 that we can expect to chase the money and job elsewhere. The rest of them could very well be back on league minimum deals (minor league deals). Smoak is actually one o believe they'll definitely let walk, have that gut feeling.

Why Thole? I know he is Dickey's personal catcher, but he only played 18 games last season, with Martin catching Dickey. Isn't he kind of useless now? Or is he good enough to take over Navarro and save us a boat load of money?

Smoak may walk due to his poor hitting percentage, but the fact that he may come cheap (he shouldn't get more than a 500k raise max), he can switch hit, and that we seemed to use him and Colabello in tandem could bring him back.

Revere by the sounds of it may be let go too, but it may be a good idea to keep him around for at least a little bit to see what we have in Pompey and Saunders. On the other hand, he could be used like an Adam Lind in getting us a good bullpen pitcher and opening up a spot for Pompey to try and thrive like Pillar did last year. Probably the only BIG decision they'll have to make out of the positional players this year. Losing Navarro and Smoak would suck a little, but we can easily replace them since they are situation guys.

Otherwise I more or less agree with the results. Let's say we keep all of the guys listed above; what does that cost? 20 million? More? That's the bulk of the list minus Price and Navarro, so I don't expect much. Estrada would cost most of it IMO.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
He's not an unrealistic target, but him signing with the Jays is unlikely to happen. We really don't know what the Jays plans are on the free agent market.

150-200mil for an outfielder with elite defense is a hard sell, especially when you have to take David Price into account. That's why I say it's unrealistic, especially in conjunction with the Rogers cap. As for Jays plan, it seems obvious that pitching and bullpen are the key priorities. The batting line-up doesn't really need much tinkering (find a better #1 etc.)

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
It'll be really interesting to see what Gordon and Heyward get.

Heyward is projected to get anywhere from 160M to 200M+ over 7-8 years.

I think Gordon will get around 100-110M over 5 years.

So, while Heyward is better, but he's also going to get a much larger contract.

Regarding, Jordan Zimmerman, I don't really want him. He's going to be asking for too much for a guy who isn't an ace.

Gordon will probably go about 5 years 70 million.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Does anyone have the stats for Estrada with and without Navarro this past season?

91Kadri91*

Heyward is not a realistic FA target, he's most likely commanding close to 200mil on a nice long-term contract for the age that he's hitting FA. It isn't going to sit well with Rogers, plus there are numerous NL and AL teams that would relish the opportunity at signing Heyward. It's going to be a bidding war for his services.

And he'll be worth every penny.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If we let Price go, I'd go after a couple of the mid rotation FA's and Chris Davis. Snag a couple bullpen arms as well

Travis
Donaldson
Bautista
Encarnacion
Davis
Tulowitzki
Martin
Pillar
Revere/Saunders

Stroman
FA
FA
Sanchez
Dickey/FA/Trade/Hutch

P.S, I'd be perfectly fine with Cola/Smoak again, but getting that upgrade would be nice. First priority would be the starters and bullpen though

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Cecil and Loup are arbitration eligible, so they'll be relatively cheap for what they provide. They'll be back for sure.

Smoak is arb eligible to, but I'm not sure what they'll do with him. My gut says he won't be back, but his trade value is probably zero, so they may be better off keeping him for the bench.

I expect Revere to get the Lind treatment and be flipped to fill a position of greater need, since he'll likely be at nearly $7 million and they have what I consider a better option in Saunders/Pompey.

I've come around one the idea of retaining Estrada, but I still think someone will overpay him. At the very least, I think he'll turn down a QO at this point, and that would help the Jays' chances of bringing him back.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Why do some want Davis, I am perfectly fine with Smoak and Colabello again

Cuz Dingerz!

I'm fine with Smoak and Colabello too.

Price on social media seems to be at a state that if the Jays offered him an extension he'd take it. I would love to see him back here next year.

LeafsFIO*

If you sign Davis then what do you do in interleague play? Bench EE in NL parks? Or trade EE for pitching help? Would that sit well with Bautista?

beer123

Nov 15, 2009
Trade Bautista and Encarnacion for starting/relief pitchers and sign Heyward + Davis.

Revere
Heyward
Donaldson
Davis
Tulowitzki
New DH
Martin
Pillar
Travis

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Cecil and Loup are arbitration eligible, so they'll be relatively cheap for what they provide. They'll be back for sure.

Smoak is arb eligible to, but I'm not sure what they'll do with him. My gut says he won't be back, but his trade value is probably zero, so they may be better off keeping him for the bench.

I expect Revere to get the Lind treatment and be flipped to fill a position of greater need, since he'll likely be at nearly $7 million and they have what I consider a better option in Saunders/Pompey.

I've come around one the idea of retaining Estrada, but I still think someone will overpay him. At the very least, I think he'll turn down a QO at this point, and that would help the Jays' chances of bringing him back.

I'm thinking there's a good chance Estrada would be the first-ever player to accept the QO. I'm also warming to bringing him back, and I'd rather do so on a one year "show me" deal.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
There's a owners/gm meeting thingy mid late Nov
AA seems to like that one

Then winter meetings mid Dec Is the big one when ufa's start signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad