Player Discussion: Welcome to Winnipeg, Nick Shore

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I keep smelling a trade....... we have too many people who do the same things, and too few legitimate top 4 Dmen....

I would like to see the team move on from Buff and clear out a some of the crowd in supporting roles(I'm looking at Perrault) and bring in that legit top pairing guy. It will cost us.....maybe even some future stars... but I think it'll be worth it.

No way to move on from Buff until his grievance is settled.
What team has a legit top pairing RHD, still young that is willing to move him?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ummm I think you vastly under value Appleton as a prospect.

Good college Hockey career, Good AHL Career with Rookie Of The Year award...and 10 (3 G 7 A) points in 45 games of playing 8 minutes TOI average in the NHL.......that's not horrible numbers for a 23yr old rookie. He also had a roster spot this year meaning the Organization had faith in him so he isn't just a throwaway AHLer who "might make it some day". Oh yeah he was a sixth round pick... Oh yeah he's on his entry deal so we have lots of control left on his contract.......

Maybe you are the one who doesn't know how to evaluate a player.....

Every team has 2-3 prospects whose resume's are similar to Appleton's. I have high hopes for him - but he hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet. Very low trade value. Rosie's is twice as much and he won't return a 2nd pair D unless it is one with some question marks or a promising but unproven prospect.

Reactions: sipowicz

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Good college Hockey career, Good AHL Career with Rookie Of The Year award...and 10 (3 G 7 A) points in 45 games of playing 8 minutes TOI average in the NHL.......that's not horrible numbers for a 23yr old rookie. He also had a roster spot this year meaning the Organization had faith in him so he isn't just a throwaway AHLer who "might make it some day". Oh yeah he was a sixth round pick... Oh yeah he's on his entry deal so we have lots of control left on his contract.......

Or maybe you make too much of his accomplishments. Let's go back a few years to when this franchise was in Atlanta. They had a guy named Brett Sterling. Similar draft position, good college career, good AHL career, won the Rookie of the Year award in 2006-07 with a 55 goal 42 assist season. Did SFA in the NHL and has bounced around the AHL and Euro leagues.

I'm not saying Appleton will be another Sterling, but the possibility is there.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Again, I wasn't referring to Appleton's ability, merely his value to other teams. Which has way more to do with raw scoring than rate scoring.

AHL success does not count for much.

I will say this, though--and whether either or both reach it remains to be seen--there's no way Appleton has anywhere near Roslovic's ceiling.

Or maybe you make too much of his accomplishments. Let's go back a few years to when this franchise was in Atlanta. They had a guy named Brett Sterling. Similar draft position, good college career, good AHL career, won the Rookie of the Year award in 2006-07 with a 55 goal 42 assist season. Did SFA in the NHL and has bounced around the AHL and Euro leagues.

Even NHL Rookie of the Year doesn't count for much--Myers, Steve Mason, Barrett Jackman all winners, none terribly special players.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014

Problem is Bret Sterling was that he was around in the wrong era. He was 5’7” and 175 lbs. those guys didn’t get much of a chance back then. Unless they really blew the competition out of the water.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I think Roslovic is worth quite a bit on the trade market. And I think Appleton is has every chance of becoming as good as Roslovic which means we can afford to let one of them go why not keep the one that we have the control on ....Appleton... and trade Rosslow as part of a package including picks and possibly someone else like Perrault to a team that needs a bit of cap relief for a D.

I don’t think that’s a crazy trade or an irreplaceable loss.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Which brings us to mr shore and the dearth of 1-2 Dmen and the abundance of 5-6 and 7th D men and 4th line type guys on this team.

I keep thinking there’s a trade to be made once the Buff thing is resolved.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Problem is Bret Sterling was that he was around in the wrong era. He was 5’7” and 175 lbs. those guys didn’t get much of a chance back then. Unless they really blew the competition out of the water.

Good point. I was so captivated by his scoring stats I didn't even notice his size.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
So Shore draws in against the Ducks, have a feeling he'll be closer to Jersey Shore than Eddie Shore!

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Appleton and Bourgue will do a lot more to shore up our impressively underwhelming 4th line but I guess the Shore can' t be any worse than Shaw or Luoto or slower than Gus for that matter!

Luoto is off the coast compared to shore. Uh I don’t think I can make a good pun about this, but between Laine, Luoto and Shore we pretty much got all of that watery stuff covered.

Luoto = small rocky (treeless) island

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Which brings us to mr shore and the dearth of 1-2 Dmen and the abundance of 5-6 and 7th D men and 4th line type guys on this team.

I keep thinking there’s a trade to be made once the Buff thing is resolved.
At the beginning of the season this would be a no brainer. However, looking at how these bottom pair guys have performed, I'm not sure. I think we can put together a pretty damned effective if not glamorous D with these guys.

Sure, if a good deal can be made, you need to see if you can secure a top 4 guy but I don't think you remove one of our key forwards to achieve that.

The guys I see as trade bait at F are Vesalainen, Perreault and maybe Roslovic, and they aren't getting you a top 4 guy (maybe Roslovic with a draft pick add, especially if our trade partner is cap challenged).

We need Beaulieu to get healthy and a string of games to see if he can be effective with Morrissey. Pionk can anchor the second pair and then the rest of the guys can slot in depending on situation and how they are playing.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
At the beginning of the season this would be a no brainer. However, looking at how these bottom pair guys have performed, I'm not sure. I think we can put together a pretty damned effective if not glamorous D with these guys.

Sure, if a good deal can be made, you need to see if you can secure a top 4 guy but I don't think you remove one of our key forwards to achieve that.

The guys I see as trade bait at F are Vesalainen, Perreault and maybe Roslovic, and they aren't getting you a top 4 guy (maybe Roslovic with a draft pick add, especially if our trade partner is cap challenged).

We need Beaulieu to get healthy and a string of games to see if he can be effective with Morrissey. Pionk can anchor the second pair and then the rest of the guys can slot in depending on situation and how they are playing.

I agree with most of this post --except trading Roslovic, and or any of our top forwards. It makes no sense to me right now, as we're doing fine with the defenceman we have. We have not allowed that many goals against as of late, and I think we're OK there.

Roslovic is just coming into his own -he's cheap on the Cap, and he's turning out to be a great player. I say --stay the course.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

I agree with most of this post --except trading Roslovic, and or any of our top forwards. It makes no sense to me right now, as we're doing fine with the defenceman we have. We have not allowed that many goals against as of late, and I think we're OK there.

Roslovic is just coming into his own -he's cheap on the Cap, and he's turning out to be a great player. I say --stay the course.

We give up a ton of shots against most nights and rely on Helly to be a Veznia candidate.
We need a legit top 4 D
Just so we can slide some of these guys back to the third pairing/press box where they belong.

Reactions: sipowicz

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We give up a ton of shots against most nights and rely on Helly to be a Veznia candidate.
We need a legit top 4 D
Just so we can slide some of these guys back to the third pairing/press box where they belong.
Except with our current patch work defense we have gradually been improving in both Corsi and shots on net. Puck on Net has us 13th in Event, Score and Venue adjusted (ESVA) Corsi at 50.60 and 14th ESVA shots on net at 50.67. These numbers have been steadily improving over the last several games. At this point I'd be very reluctant to give up on good young players making big jumps forward in their development to try and fix a problem that has been working itself out. We have the Buff situation to resolve itself and some really good defensive prospects on the way. If we could squeeze out an expiring contract top 4 for relatively cheap to help out, I'm in. But Rosie is looking more and more like a player you shouldn't let go of.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
After one game I think its safe to say he's Shored up the 4th line.

Shore did, and just in the Nick of time. Nice to see them finally put up some halfway-decent possession numbers, and his face-off prowess and experience on the PK Shorely increases the odds of a Shorethanded goal.

Also be nice to see Mason A. come back, and save PoMo from dumping out yet on another half-Bourqued 4th line for a few brief unAppletizing minutes.

Reactions: ocdaddy

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Shore did, and just in the Nick of time. Nice to see them finally put up some halfway-decent possession numbers, and his face-off prowess and experience on the PK Shorely increases the odds of a Shorethanded goal.

Also be nice to see Mason A. come back, and save PoMo from dumping out yet on another half-Bourqued 4th line for a few brief unAppletizing minutes.
Well done, sir :laugh:

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
I think Roslovic is worth quite a bit on the trade market. And I think Appleton is has every chance of becoming as good as Roslovic which means we can afford to let one of them go why not keep the one that we have the control on ....Appleton... and trade Rosslow as part of a package including picks and possibly someone else like Perrault to a team that needs a bit of cap relief for a D.

I don’t think that’s a crazy trade or an irreplaceable loss.
You don’t get rid of top 6 talent with no depth to replace him... Apples is a 3-4 liner... Roslo has to stay, Littles future isn’t with us, he may retire, exposed at Xdraft.. too much uncertainty

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad