Player Discussion: Welcome to Winnipeg, Nick Shore

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Nick Shore is 24th in the league in faceoff percentage of all players who've taken at least 150 faceoffs this year...that's pretty damn good. This would actually allow Maurice to put the 4th line out for a D-zone draw if he wanted to. So...they got that going for them....which is nice.

Copp is 19th, Wheeler is 20th and Lowry is 30th, which is also kind of cool. Four guys in the top 30, too bad two of them play on the same line though.

Scheifele is 95th, which is not cool.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I keep smelling a trade....... we have too many people who do the same things, and too few legitimate top 4 Dmen....

I would like to see the team move on from Buff and clear out a some of the crowd in supporting roles(I'm looking at Perrault) and bring in that legit top pairing guy. It will cost us.....maybe even some future stars... but I think it'll be worth it.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I keep smelling a trade....... we have too many people who do the same things, and too few legitimate top 4 Dmen....

I would like to see the team move on from Buff and clear out a some of the crowd in supporting roles(I'm looking at Perrault) and bring in that legit top pairing guy. It will cost us.....maybe even some future stars... but I think it'll be worth it.

Given that Nick Shore can't do what Roslovic or Ehlers can--they being minimum main piece in a top-4 D trade--I don't think his addition is indicative of anything at all.

Other than where Gustafsson is spending his holidays.

Reactions: blues10 and Huffer

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Given that Nick Shore can't do what Roslovic or Ehlers can--they being minimum main piece in a top-4 D trade--I don't think his addition is indicative of anything at all.

1. Any trade that involves Ehlers is a no go. Roslo...not so much. there's a very good chance Appleton can do what Roslo"does" so OK. There's also more on the farm so i'm OK with Roslo going. some picks, some roster guys who provide cap relief...who knows.

2. There's a lot more in play than just the value of a player on ice....there are losing teams with big caps who need to rebuild. the Leafs spring to mind. there has to be a dance partner if the Jets are willing to go. Contrary to Popular opinion I think the Jets window is just beginning to open now, and IMHO it's OK to trade futures away to obtain current success.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
1. Any trade that involves Ehlers is a no go. Roslo...not so much. there's a very good chance Appleton can do what Roslo"does" so OK. There's also more on the farm so i'm OK with Roslo going. some picks, some roster guys who provide cap relief...who knows.

2. There's a lot more in play than just the value of a player on ice....there are losing teams with big caps who need to rebuild. the Leafs spring to mind. there has to be a dance partner if the Jets are willing to go. Contrary to Popular opinion I think the Jets window is just beginning to open now, and IMHO it's OK to trade futures away to obtain current success.

If other GMs agree with you about Roslovic and Appleton, then Roslovic would merely be a small piece of a top-4 rental.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Yeah the Jets can release Gus when Apples and Bourque are good to go. As the Moose have a pretty solid top 9 in place I would expect the remaining forwards to remain up. Unless there is an injury on the farm. Kulikov being on IR means that the Jets will likely only carry one extra d-man, Dahlstrom or Bitetto, and send Schilling back to the Moose.

I'd also be shocked if the Jets organization considered trading anyone but Buff for a top 4 defenseman, or at least that they will battle it out until the TD.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
If other GMs agree with you about Roslovic and Appleton, then Roslovic would merely be a small piece of a top-4 rental.

Can you expand on this? I'm not sure what it is you are saying.
are you suggesting Roslo is no good? Or, are you suggesting Appleton is no good?
I don't see any evidence to support either of those statements.... Appleton has a prety good pedigree

Also there are picks to be moved, maybe a roster player....and I'm not talking about a rental....I'm talking about a trade for a player we can count on for a few seasons.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Can you expand on this? I'm not sure what it is you are saying.
are you suggesting Roslo is no good? Or, are you suggesting Appleton is no good?
I don't see any evidence to support either of those statements.... Appleton has a prety good pedigree

Also there are picks to be moved, maybe a roster player....and I'm not talking about a rental....I'm talking about a trade for a player we can count on for a few seasons.

I meant that Appleton's not really worth anything. If he was traded at this point in his career, it would be as a throw-in "prospect" whose inclusion was mostly meant to settle down the receiving fanbase under the auspices that there was something included 'for the future' without having any of the value be there.

That's not a knock against Appleton, but low-pedigree guys need to score in the NHL before they lose that stigma.

If you--and other teams' GMs--don't think that Roslovic is an appreciable upgrade over that, then his value won't be very significant either.

Is it me or does Shore look like McDavid ?

It's you.

He does look like the lovechild of Stannis Baratheon and Bernard Sumner, though.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Nick Shore is 24th in the league in faceoff percentage of all players who've taken at least 150 faceoffs this year...that's pretty damn good. This would actually allow Maurice to put the 4th line out for a D-zone draw if he wanted to. So...they got that going for them....which is nice.

Copp is 19th, Wheeler is 20th and Lowry is 30th, which is also kind of cool. Four guys in the top 30, too bad two of them play on the same line though.

Scheifele is 95th, which is not cool.
Jets must practice faceoffs alot or have a great faceoff coach.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I assume you mean when he is standing still?
Yes, his face kind of looks like McDavid with less hair on his head . I wish he played like McDavid :laugh: but then again it was Dubas that had to put him on waivers because of no cap room so maybe he does play like McDavid . :sarcasm:

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I meant that Appleton's not really worth anything. If he was traded at this point in his career, it would be as a throw-in "prospect" whose inclusion was mostly meant to settle down the receiving fanbase under the auspices that there was something included 'for the future' without having any of the value be there.

That's not a knock against Appleton, but low-pedigree guys need to score in the NHL before they lose that stigma.

If you--and other teams' GMs--don't think that Roslovic is an appreciable upgrade over that, then his value won't be very significant either.

Ummm I think you vastly under value Appleton as a prospect.

Good college Hockey career, Good AHL Career with Rookie Of The Year award...and 10 (3 G 7 A) points in 45 games of playing 8 minutes TOI average in the NHL.......that's not horrible numbers for a 23yr old rookie. He also had a roster spot this year meaning the Organization had faith in him so he isn't just a throwaway AHLer who "might make it some day". Oh yeah he was a sixth round pick... Oh yeah he's on his entry deal so we have lots of control left on his contract.......

Maybe you are the one who doesn't know how to evaluate a player.....

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hearing the scouting reports on this guy is bringing back James Wright flashbacks. Did that guy ever score for us?

James Wright with Jets - 97 games - 2 goals - 5 assists.

The 2 G and 3 of the A came in his first season - 38 games.
Lowry this year, 27 games - 2 G - 2 A. Hmmmmm?
James Wright was also a C with some size. Much better skater than Lowry. Not nearly as physical nor as defensively effective. Of course Wright never had Copp on his wing.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yup. He’ll sure help shore up the 4th line.

Appleton and Bourgue will do a lot more to shore up our impressively underwhelming 4th line but I guess the Shore can' t be any worse than Shaw or Luoto or slower than Gus for that matter!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad