Post-Game Talk: Welcome To The Mitch Marner Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Well it is looking more and more that Nylander is not an NHL center.

Funny I see him as a centre.
He doesn't dog the puck at times because he is positioning himself in the centre of the ice. He still needs to figure out that in the nhl the spacing is tighter than in the wider euro ice.
I have patience for him.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Based on what?

I'm sure most people still think he'll be a center.

I'm convinced he'll be a center by the end of this season and our #2c long term. I think most feel this way.
He has played 22 NHL games lol

Better to just smile and nod at that kind of stuff :laugh:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Hey guys - how is every one, I hope every is looking forward to this upcoming season

I have been extremely busy and wasn't active for a while, so can some one please fill in on how our prospects are doing, if Kadri, Gardiner, JVR, Rielly and other vets are mature enough to take the leadership role and if any of these guys are showing any improvement to go to another level, would be specially interested to know how our following prospects coming up

- Matthews (we all know, who is he and what his potential is)
- Marner
- Nylander
- Zaitsev (is he going to be a legit NHLer)
- Carrick
- Dermott
- Kapanen
- Soshnikov
- Brown
- Hyman
- Any one else?
- Goaltending?

Would appreciate unbiased comments

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
oh it's going to be rather :popcorn: if Babcock decides to keep Will at centre.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hey guys - how is every one, I hope every is looking forward to this upcoming season

I have been extremely busy and wasn't active for a while, so can some one please fill in on how our prospects are doing, if Kadri, Gardiner, JVR, Rielly and other vets are mature enough to take the leadership role and if any of these guys are showing any improvement to go to another level, would be specially interested to know how our following prospects coming up

- Matthews (we all know, who is he and what his potential is)
- Marner
- Nylander
- Zaitsev (is he going to be a legit NHLer)
- Carrick
- Dermott
- Kapanen
- Soshnikov
- Brown
- Hyman
- Any one else?
- Goaltending?

Would appreciate unbiased comments

- Matthews -Stellar
- Marner -Offensively gifted with gaffs from time to time.
- Nylander -Looks solid
- Zaitsev -If worlds is an indicator he is Top 4 Material
- Carrick -Looks great to me and is on the team for sure in top 4
- Dermott -Not ready
- Kapanen -Not ready but promising
- Soshnikov -Uncertain
- Brown -Should make the team
- Hyman -He is just ok

There you go.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Patrick Kane belongs on the wing as he is a 100ft player...Marner is a two hundred foot player

Not all 2-way players are centers. Hossa is a 200ft player on the wing, for example.

I expect Marner will be a RW his entire career, and that's just fine. We can't have Matthews, Kadri, Nylander, Bozak, and Marner down the middle.

And a sidenote: Patrick Kane, when it matters, backchecks like a boss, and is one of the few players who can disarm a 2-on-None against by catching the puck carrier, quite regularly.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not sure why Mitch couldn't be a C/RW swingman ... I think he could do well in that role. Predominately wing but can fill in down the middle for stretches, and take draws if a centre is tossed out by the ref

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
- Matthews -Stellar
- Marner -Offensively gifted with gaffs from time to time.
- Nylander -Looks solid
- Zaitsev -If worlds is an indicator he is Top 4 Material
- Carrick -Looks great to me and is on the team for sure in top 4
- Dermott -Not ready
- Kapanen -Not ready but promising
- Soshnikov -Uncertain
- Brown -Should make the team
- Hyman -He is just ok

There you go.

Ya I don't see Hyman making the team out of camp. I know Babcock is high in him and he does have a style that could work in the bottom 6 but Brown has definitely shown he's better, Marners been awesome, and I think Leivo get a long look. With all the vets in the mix as well I really see Hyman as our 14/15 forward right now

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ya I don't see Hyman making the team out of camp. I know Babcock is high in him and he does have a style that could work in the bottom 6 but Brown has definitely shown he's better, Marners been awesome, and I think Leivo get a long look. With all the vets in the mix as well I really see Hyman as our 14/15 forward right now
Hyman could make the team as a 4th line energy/penalty killer. Brown needs to be in a top 9 role, if not he'll be with the Marlies on the first line til an injury or a trade. I think the organization feels they have very different ceilings, and it would be a diservice to Brown to give him 4th line minutes.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Brown, Leivo, (Soshnikov = IMO he's better than Leivo but we can keep him down) would be the 6 rookies on the team IMO.

Komarov - Kadri - Marner
JVR- Matthews - Nylander
Leivo - Bozak - Brown
Martin - Laich - Soshnikov/Holland

On D, I love Carrick but I don't think he's impressed enough to land a spot. Corrado's impressed more IMO.

If we assume:

Marincin - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaistev
Hunwick - xxx
xxx

That leaves one of Polak or Corrado for the last spot.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Not sure why Mitch couldn't be a C/RW swingman ... I think he could do well in that role. Predominately wing but can fill in down the middle for stretches, and take draws if a centre is tossed out by the ref

He'll be a bit like Zetterberg, Parise or even Patrick Kane (who has played a decent amount of C in the NHL). All are wingers but can slot in as centre from time to time.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
He'll be a bit like Zetterberg, Parise or even Patrick Kane (who has played a decent amount of C in the NHL). All are wingers but can slot in as centre from time to time.

His usage should be exactly like Patty Kane. Not that Marner is a bad/below average defensive player, but Matthews is better and should be on a different like than Marner (just like Toews and Kane). In addition, Marner is much more valuable for his offensive skills than his defensive skills. That means he should be allowed to feast on 2nd pairing defense and be relied on in offensive situations while Matthews takes up the bulk of the defensive situations.

He can take a draw when the C gets kicked out (depending who the other winger is), move to center when injuries occur, and perform other center duties when necessary, but he should/will be a winger for the majority of his career.

This could change with trades, if he gets chemistry with Matthews, etc. but I think the obvious option looking at our line-up right now is to use him like Kane gets used in Chicago.

Edit: If Matthew's line can score more goals than allowed (or even the same amount) while playing defensive matchups against top competition (which the hope is one day), then Marner feasting on 2nd pairings will be a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad