Tribute Welcome to the Hockey Hall of Fame - Daniel Alfredsson, Herb Carnegie, Riikka Sallinen, The Sedin Twins and Roberto Luongo.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1656358044575.png

The Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2022 features a trio of former Vancouver Canucks.

Goaltender Roberto Luongo and star forwards Daniel and Henrik Sedin headline the class, alongside Daniel Alfredsson and Riikka Sallinen. Black hockey pioneer Herb Carnegie has been inducted as a builder.

This marks the first time the Hall of Fame has elected a new class in two years. The Class of 2020 — which included Marian Hossa, Jarome Iginla, Kevin Lowe, Kim St-Pierre, Doug Wilson and Ken Holland — was honoured last fall in a ceremony that was delayed a year by the COVID-19 pandemic.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Everyone seems to get into the NHL HOF these days, no suprise. I don't think Alfreddson ever made an NHL 1st or 2nd all star team, very good player but never great. As long as you had a long career and put up numbers you get in. Yet many people questioned Neely's nomination because his career was cut short by injuries, the difference is he truly was a great player instead of a very good player.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
yet, still no Tim Thomas
Thomas' career was really good, but he was a No. 1 starter for only 5-6 years. The longevity of his career (and the fact that much of it was spent in the minors/Europe) would likely leave him as a "Hall of Very Good" player.

Sedin twins & Luongo ... might as well hold the ceremony in Vancouver. Seeing those names again gives me a lot of happy memories.

Reactions: Bradely and TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Everyone seems to get into the NHL HOF these days, no suprise. I don't think Alfreddson ever made an NHL 1st or 2nd all star team, very good player but never great. As long as you had a long career and put up numbers you get in. Yet many people questioned Neely's nomination because his career was cut short by injuries, the difference is he truly was a great player instead of a very good player.
Alfie was a great player as good as a two way winger as there was during his playing days and on top of that he scored over 400 goals and had over 1100 points. If he had played in a more marketable city than Ottawa, there would be no question from anyone of his inductee. He also led his country to an Olympic Gold Gold while leading them on the score sheet as well.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Thomas' career was really good, but he was a No. 1 starter for only 5-6 years. The longevity of his career (and the fact that much of it was spent in the minors/Europe) would likely leave him as a "Hall of Very Good" player.

Sedin twins & Luongo ... might as well hold the ceremony in Vancouver. Seeing those names again gives me a lot of happy memories.

Thomas is certainly an odd case.

The guy can't make it to the NHL until he's 31 but wins two Vezina Trophies when he's 34 and 36.

If he were a baseball player you'd think he was a steroids case.

Alfie was a great player as good as a two way winger as there was during his playing days and on top of that he scored over 400 goals and had over 1100 points. If he had played in a more marketable city than Ottawa, there would be no question from anyone of his inductee. He also led his country to an Olympic Gold Gold while leading them on the score sheet as well.

His prime was also in a very low scoring era.

Reactions: TCB

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
yet, still no Tim Thomas
Thomas absolutely gets in the HHOF if his play didn't sink after the whitehouse snub.
I think people forget he was the hands down favourite to win the Vezina again, then after the snub, his play cratered. Four major awards would probably get him in the HHOF (think Bernie Parent).

I am kind of suprised Luongo is in, I thought it would take him a while, but his resume is impressive even if he didn't win anything.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Zero Stanley Cups in the entire class.

Looking at historic classes, only 2010 (Dino Ciccarreli) and 2005 (Cam Neely) have that honor in the last 35 years

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
He also never won a cup despite playing for some stacked Sens teams. He was never on an NHL 1st or 2nd all star team, that hardly qualifies as great, he was a very good player.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto

And yet he still accomplished more than Luongo in that short time

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
He also never won a cup despite playing for some stacked Sens teams. He was never on an NHL 1st or 2nd all star team, that hardly qualifies as great, he was a very good player.
we will have agree to disagree on this one. Watched him many times live, and on a whole lot of the those nights he was great and the best player on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: BTO

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
we will have agree to disagree on this one. Watched him many times live, and on a whole lot of the those nights he was great and the best player on the ice.
Fair enough, I guess we just have differ on the meaning of " great ".

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Thomas absolutely gets in the HHOF if his play didn't sink after the whitehouse snub.
I think people forget he was the hands down favourite to win the Vezina again, then after the snub, his play cratered. Four major awards would probably get him in the HHOF (think Bernie Parent).

I am kind of suprised Luongo is in, I thought it would take him a while, but his resume is impressive even if he didn't win anything.
That situation had nothing to do with the White House. Tuukka struggled mid season and asked for time off or fewer starts to work with Essensa. Then him and Khudobin got hurt and Marty Turco came in and couldn't give him a break. His workload was ridiculous down the stretch, something like 5 back to backs in 35 days, and he was still probably their best player in that Caps series.

As for the short career arguments, MVP of the Finnish league during the lockout isn't the NHL but it isn't nothing. Best save percentage in AHL history the season before isn't nothing. Those are pretty strong indications that he had been an NHL goalie for some time before he caught a break, and the only thing missing from his HoF resume are the mediocre seasons that pad out most other careers. Two Vezina's/two 1st team all-star's is automatic. Conn Smythe on top of that.

Thomas deserves the whole nine, hall of fame, number retired, patronage job. As we've seen in the last 10 years, it's hard to win, and as we've seen recently, coming back from hip surgery is hard, and people can walk away for their family without being a weirdo. But too many people spent too much time making him out to be that while even now he's trying to recover from brain damage because some idiot on his team hit him with a slapshot in warmups. Nobody wants to own up to that, it's easier to be dismissive.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
All 4 of those guys played most of their careers in Canada, were popular with the media, so they're in the club ahead of Tkachuk, Fleury, Mogilny, Elias, Roenick, Bondra, and the rest. That's all this is.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

mikelvl2

Jun 9, 2022
Rasks is about half the size
Combine longevity with aggregation then. I just think he was never the best goalie in the league yet he's in on the first ballot. They already proved last year(?) when they inducted Carbonneau that the Hall of Fame is still the old boys club. If someone in that group of 19 or 20 doesn't like you, they can make a spirited pitch to the group and you're out. Mogilny is getting screwed.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
They must have changed the standard for a goalie getting into the HHOF. Luongo has none of the awards and honors that every other NHL goalie inductee has over recent decades. He's actually not even close in that regard. The word "almost" defined his career, and should also be the case when it comes to the HHOF. Him being first ballot goalie choice is laughable when you look at precedent. Based on Luongo getting in there should be an avalanche of very good but not elite goalies getting into the hall over the next decade.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Yet you can count the # of goalies in history with 2 Vezinas and a Smythe on 1 hand. The list is Roy, Parent, Hall, Dryden and Thomas.

The Thomas case is infuriating because the only knock is low # of games played. They are saying if he had tacked on a few more years regardless of sucking or not, he'd be in. That's absurd.

Realistically, Tim Thomas is the Kurt Warner of the NHL. Both didnt get into the league until nearly 30, both came out of nowhere to win titles and major awards, both had 2-3 year peaks and short careers. Yet the NFL had no issues inducting Kurt Warner as soon as he was eligible.

It's annoying because Thomas highlights how voters pick and choose when to apply the whole "Its the HOCKEY hall of fame". If it were applied consistently, Thomas is an even better case with his SM-Liiga record. SM-Liiga is a major Euro league, and Thomas dominated winning a title, an MVP and the equivalent of a Vezina and Pearson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad