GDT: Welcome to the Black Parade: WCQF Game 2, (1) Vegas Golden Knights vs (WC1) LA Kings @7:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Gravel and his 10 minutes of ice time are completely irrelevant compared to the other 85 minutes of ice time the Kings failed to convert into any offense.

Those things aren't mutually exclusive. It's totally relevant that a guy who played about 1/5 of the game and had the softest minutes and by FAR softest zone starts was out there for the 2 goals against. With those kind of minutes, he should have been helping generate offense as well, instead of relatively bleeding goals, especially given the razor-thin margin for error.

The rest of the Kings not creating offense is a separate--though related--issue to a lot of d-men not being able to do a god damn thing with the puck, and Gravel was really noticeably bad in that regard, too.

Don't worry there's plenty of blame to go around, pick your favorite punching bag and go to work, but don't imply posters are wild for criticizing Gravel as a focal point of concern.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Relatedly, Kempe-Toffoli-sometimes Pearson was our best line last night and they didn't do much. That's concerning. Theoretically that line could create a mismatch for VGK's 3rd line, but they haven't shown up yet. If Kopitar-Carter play Karlsson-Haula to a stalemate (and they shouldn't--they should come out on top, that's a problem in itself), Kempe SHOULD be able to create something on his own, and it's a shame that the not-so-youngsters like Toffoli are sagging into the playoffs as well, since they're key depth players. Kempe gets a little bit of a pass from me because he's showing heart and spice out there and he's a rook. The 25-30 year old crew, not so much.

Jun 30, 2006
Lombardi for one deserves a ton of blame, he was in charge of the Kings for 11 years and while he did a great job of building on the stars he was left with, it's 2018 and three of our five best players were drafted by Dave Taylor who was fired a dozen years ago. The Kings woeful drafting and development of skilled players has been on display now for for a long time, that's how you end up with Reider and Lewis in scoring line roles.

And Sutter should have been gone after the collapse in 2016. He also did some great things here but just like Lombardi it was a complete and total disaster from basically the moment after they won that 2nd cup.

Lombardi brought in a lot of leadership and grit to the club through the rebuilding years. The Stoll/Greene/Richards/Carter/Gaborik trades were essential in the cup runs. Goaltending and defense development were a priority under DL. He hired Ranford and lot of the scouting staff remains behind. Some of our ex-goalies are elsewhere, one led San Jose to their first cup appearance.

The problem is, once the core started getting large and lengthy contracts, they also had to start filling the leadership void. We are still waiting on that to take hold. This core has been through a number of staff changes and at some point the finger needs to be pointed in their direction.

Still a lot of hockey left this season but they need to turn it around fast.

Reactions: Herby

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lombardi brought in a lot of leadership and grit to the club through the rebuilding years. The Stoll/Greene/Richards/Carter/Gaborik trades were essential in the cup runs. Goaltending and defense development were a priority under DL. He hired Ranford and lot of the scouting staff remains behind. Some of our ex-goalies are elsewhere, one led San Jose to their first cup appearance.

The problem is, once the core started getting large and lengthy contracts, they also had to start filling the leadership void. We are still waiting on that to take hold. This core has been through a number of staff changes and at some point the finger needs to be pointed in their direction.

Still a lot of hockey left this season but they need to turn it around fast.

The crazy thing is, I can't even identify anyone remotely like those guys around the league right now (Stoll, Greene, Mitchell, Regehr). Phaneuf is similar but he's no Justin Williams, for example. Like who would a team even target to do that anymore?

Reactions: WHOneedsSOX

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
The crazy thing is, I can't even identify anyone remotely like those guys around the league right now (Stoll, Greene, Mitchell, Regehr). Phaneuf is similar but he's no Justin Williams, for example. Like who would a team even target to do that anymore?
Those guys not only had great leadership but they were all really good and clutch players. I'd say Phaneuf is more like Regehr but with much better offense. He's no where near Mitchell defensively.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

For D, Polak in Tor would fit a Regehr type, stoll, probably a Bonino or Cullen etc they are out there but not common

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Oh well then add Richards, Carter, phaneuf, Gaborik etc.

Your argument was drafting, they are relatively equal I'll give Anaheim the edge with Rakell being a very very good late round pick,

Lol.yes Maroon was established. I'm talking about one player they took a chance on. Anaheim has insane games played by draftees

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The officiating was atrocious all night long, both sides,

The slash on Marchessault, WTF was that, one of the weakest calls I've seen, the one on Phaneuf, that is a call you make in game 1 when everyone was scrumming it up, a day late and a dollar short to the party on that one, just...absolutely garbage last night, but, it was for both sides.

Yeah, well it even worse in OT. Brown first gets his legs kicked out by McNabb, then gets up and is crosschecked to the ice. Nothing called, yet both were called on Lewis during the series in game 1. I don't care if it's OT, you have to still call the obvious ones like that.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Apparently the Kings had less than 6 minutes of possession time with the puck inside Vegas' end of the ice.

That's probably not going to result in much success if that kind of putrid possession time continues.
There’s the Kings main problem this series. Half the time they can’t get out of their own zone due to the pressure. If they do, they have to bang it off the boards or lob it out. If they make it to the red line, they have to dump it in and can’t retrieve the puck. The sum is one goal in over 150 minutes played.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
There’s the Kings main problem this series. Half the time they can’t get out of their own zone due to the pressure. If they do, they have to bang it off the boards or lob it out. If they make it to the red line, they have to dump it in and can’t retrieve the puck. The sum is one goal in over 150 minutes played.
One power play goal.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Lombardi for one deserves a ton of blame, he was in charge of the Kings for 11 years and while he did a great job of building on the stars he was left with, it's 2018 and three of our five best players were drafted by Dave Taylor who was fired a dozen years ago. The Kings woeful drafting and development of skilled players has been on display now for for a long time, that's how you end up with Reider and Lewis in scoring line roles.

And Sutter should have been gone after the collapse in 2016. He also did some great things here but just like Lombardi it was a complete and total disaster from basically the moment after they won that 2nd cup.

If Stevens rolls with the same forward lines or makes some stupid change like inserting Iafallo for Mitchell or Amadio then he deserves to be heavily criticized. There should not be a single line tomorrow that was used in games 1 or 2.

Totally.There was an interview with Bob Miller he did where he talked about blowing a 12 point and Sutter and you could tell he still was sticking with him even though everything pointed to him being finished as coach. DL then gives him a 3 year extension. That was the same interview DL said the speed thing is just a fad.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
honestly nbc didn't even show a replay of marchessault's penalty that i remember

it was just "behind the play marchessault takes a slashing penalty" then commercials straight into the PP

They didn;t show Kopitar getting elbowed by McNabb either. But boy, they had 57 angles of the Doughty hit.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Apparently the Kings had less than 6 minutes of possession time with the puck inside Vegas' end of the ice.

That's probably not going to result in much success if that kind of putrid possession time continues.

These stats, WOW!

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 7.17.52 PM.png

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, well it even worse in OT. Brown first gets his legs kicked out by McNabb, then gets up and is crosschecked to the ice. Nothing called, yet both were called on Lewis during the series in game 1. I don't care if it's OT, you have to still call the obvious ones like that.

Yeah I loved on the feed how they were talking about it's just a strong hockey play watching Brown get totally mauled like that. THATS why McNabb felt like he could get away with anything when he plugged Kopitar.

Contrast that with Phaneuf riding Karlsson away from Quick and him exploding into a 2 minute penalty.

Props to the guys and the org for just going hard and not complaining one iota in contrast to the f***ing stormcloud of whining coming from Vegas after the Doughty hit, they're better, more composed men than me. But I'd be surprised if someone on our side doesn't take a fine at some point if that continues.

Complete domination. Let’s hope they don’t get embarrassed at home tomorrow.

I mean it was but is that not the game we expected with our top 3 dmen out? I'm pretty sure the common near-consensus before the game was "hold on to your butts and hope Quick plays well and we fluke into a couple of lucky goals that win."

This was the game 1 version, you'll notice it's a shitload closer:

Reactions: yankeeking

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yeah I loved on the feed how they were talking about it's just a strong hockey play watching Brown get totally mauled like that. THATS why McNabb felt like he could get away with anything when he plugged Kopitar.

Contrast that with Phaneuf riding Karlsson away from Quick and him exploding into a 2 minute penalty.

Props to the guys and the org for just going hard and not complaining one iota in contrast to the ****ing stormcloud of whining coming from Vegas after the Doughty hit, they're better, more composed men than me. But I'd be surprised if someone on our side doesn't take a fine at some point if that continues.

I mean it was but is that not the game we expected with our top 3 dmen out? I'm pretty sure the common near-consensus before the game was "hold on to your butts and hope Quick plays well and we fluke into a couple of lucky goals that win."

This was the game 1 version, you'll notice it's a ****load closer:

It just shows how ineffective and invisible the forwards have been. If they go out on a whimper, all the blame will be on them not showing up.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad