Confirmed with Link: Welcome home Jonas Johansson! 1-year deal

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Wasn't Azkarov supposed to become the next big thing?

Yep, comparable to Knight. Still way to early to say he’s not going to become a very good starting goalie though. If you look at his numbers outside of the AHL they have always been outstanding, so he is likely in an adjustment period.

My own personal take is that he always struggled in the clutch, but that is based solely around WJC viewings.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Askarov has been fine in the AHL. He's had 1 really bad game and a couple mediocre. He's had some beauts of games of late. The battle between him and Wallstedt will be interesting. Wallstedt is the more traditional bigger safer sort of goalie... Askarov is the flashier supremely athletic sort who likely has a much higher ceiling because of that.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The very best goalies always seem to have one thing in common--vision. The ones who can track the puck seemingly everywhere generally don't need to make the big, flashy saves, though a little bit of athleticism helps in that regard.

The ones who rely on pure athleticism remind me more of a guy like Philipp Grubauer or Frederik Andersen then, say, Connor Hellebuyck. I'll be curious to see if Sebastian Cossa ends up having a better NHL career than Jesper Wallstedt, because the athleticism is what Yzerman bet on when he took Cossa.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
The very best goalies always seem to have one thing in common--vision. The ones who can track the puck seemingly everywhere generally don't need to make the big, flashy saves, though a little bit of athleticism helps in that regard.

The ones who rely on pure athleticism remind me more of a guy like Philipp Grubauer or Frederik Andersen then, say, Connor Hellebuyck. I'll be curious to see if Sebastian Cossa ends up having a better NHL career than Jesper Wallstedt, because the athleticism is what Yzerman bet on when he took Cossa.

All goalies have athleticism because they're all athletes. I get what you're saying though, Cossa/Askarov are very agile/mobile. They cover ground and can react very quickly. Add in they have huge frames and you're looking at them like they could be the next Pekka Rinne or Andrei Vasilevskiy. The tough part for Askarov/Cossa is that agility/mobility was a crutch through their U20 careers. You didn't really need to do anything more because you could always just react quickly to get something in front of the puck if need be. What they'll be focusing on developing better decision making and reading how the play is developing.

I'm not exactly enamored with the "Askarov/Cossa have higher ceilings" statements. Wallstedt isn't a slow poke in any form of the word and he understands the goaltending position about as well as Mitch Korn. The only thing that Wallstedt has to worry about (which every goalie has to worry about) is being able to mentally handle the NHL speed. With Wallstedt's structure and technical ability the AHL is more than likely never going to look great for him numbers wise as the chaos there usually doesn't mesh well with goalies like him. You want to get him adjusted to the NA game then see what he has in the NHL, numbers you're not going to pay that much attention to as you just want him to understand how fast the game is on NA ice.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

MacFarland and Sakic right now:

its-mine-lotr.gif

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You know it’s the offseason for the Avs when JoJo thread gets bumped up

Ad