Welcome DSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
AK46 was the wrong pick at 10 in 2003......that's all. He proved it and the draft class of 03 shows this.

DSP has a long carrer ahead of him. It's a big change the first time a player is traded, he will be fine.
If he becomes a 15-15 guy who hits I'll be happy.

I'm not as optimistic as you with regards to him having a long career or ever coming close to 15 goals in a season. Maybe he will suddenly put some pucks in but nothing he has shown so far leads me to think he will.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I'm not as optimistic as you with regards to him having a long career or ever coming close to 15 goals in a season. Maybe he will suddenly put some pucks in but nothing he has shown so far leads me to think he will.

This is my exact sentiment. Sure he may have potted 6 goals last year in the playoffs, but that has a high probability of luck and "right place at the right time" instead of him being a playoff beast. I have not been happy with his regular season play. He doesn't show much of anything to support the trade. Sekac may not have been as good as a lot of posters (myself included) give him credit for, but he at least had some games where you were like "Wow Sekac!". I think I had maybe 2 moments in his 10 games where I thought DSP was doing something worthwhile.

Ok I know he is young. I understand that with the right nutritionist, the right people around him encouraging him, etc. He can potentially become something of value. But right now, this team is desperately in need of a flash in the pan style player, that was Sekac. DSP could offer the hitting we lack, but I find he is always out of the play when he hits...

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't believe DSP can even be a 15-15 player.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He publicly admitted that he has been an alcoholic (and that he took harder stuff) for more than 10 years. Crazy life, I remember people saying they saw the guy at 3h in bars completely finished and he had a practice the next morning.

that's not what got him traded though.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
This is my exact sentiment. Sure he may have potted 6 goals last year in the playoffs, but that has a high probability of luck and "right place at the right time" instead of him being a playoff beast. I have not been happy with his regular season play. He doesn't show much of anything to support the trade. Sekac may not have been as good as a lot of posters (myself included) give him credit for, but he at least had some games where you were like "Wow Sekac!". I think I had maybe 2 moments in his 10 games where I thought DSP was doing something worthwhile.

Ok I know he is young. I understand that with the right nutritionist, the right people around him encouraging him, etc. He can potentially become something of value. But right now, this team is desperately in need of a flash in the pan style player, that was Sekac. DSP could offer the hitting we lack, but I find he is always out of the play when he hits...

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't believe DSP can even be a 15-15 player.

High probability of luck. I guess that fits for anyone, including Bourque, including Eller.

You guys are unbelievably negative.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
High probability of luck. I guess that fits for anyone, including Bourque, including Eller.

You guys are unbelievably negative.

But your comment is extremely naive? What proof do we have that he will be good? None from what I see on the ice. Sure you could be optimistic, but **** doesn't turn to gold no matter how you polish it.

For all I know, I could be completely wrong, but how am I going to say he was great and that it will be consistent when to date he can't show me a consistent effort? Sorry if you believe I am negative, I think I am fairly realistic in my expectations of a player that has 1 point in 15 games. Small sample size, I understand, but the playoffs last year are even smaller of a sample size.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
But your comment is extremely naive? What proof do we have that he will be good? None from what I see on the ice. Sure you could be optimistic, but **** doesn't turn to gold no matter how you polish it.

For all I know, I could be completely wrong, but how am I going to say he was great and that it will be consistent when to date he can't show me a consistent effort? Sorry if you believe I am negative, I think I am fairly realistic in my expectations of a player that has 1 point in 15 games. Small sample size, I understand, but the playoffs last year are even smaller of a sample size.

I didn't say there's any proof that he will be good. There's no proof of anything by your logic, so we may as well say he's gonna suck and pout about it some more.

I don't see anything "naive" in my comment any more than yours. I'm just saying that he could be good, he has had success. You're saying he's probably going to be bad heading into the playoffs - I just enjoy being positive a little better.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Smith-Pelly was definitely helped by legitimate top talents last playoffs. No coincidence that 3 of his goals come from Getzlaf and Perry assisting him and Selanne on the others. This is consistent with his career paces during the regular season as well; the man has been helped by Anaheim's big duo quite a bit or else his career numbers would be disastrously bad. Which means his current slump should have been totally expected due to not being used in the top 6 at all.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I didn't say there's any proof that he will be good. There's no proof of anything by your logic, so we may as well say he's gonna suck and pout about it some more.

I don't see anything "naive" in my comment any more than yours. I'm just saying that he could be good, he has had success. You're saying he's probably going to be bad heading into the playoffs - I just enjoy being positive a little better.

What success? 5 goals in a 12 game playoff? What success? You're not being positive if you think he has had success and calling it optimism... That is being naive.

Granted he is young. But telling me that 14 goals in 144 games isn't more indicative than his 5 goals in 12 playoff games. Call it whatever you want, he has to show me a lot more than NOTHING for me to be optimistic about it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It had to be a factor, otherwise what would be enough ?

It's never been confirmed but from what I had heard Bob Gainey was told by his boss to trade Ribeiro and it came from the very top and had to do with a female family member of someone at the top of the organization. Guess we'll never really know though.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
will he.....ever.......score.....ever?

i like the hits tho we need more of that

Lol @ him hitting. He's too slow to even catch up to throw a good hit. His only good hits are people bouncing off of him. We would have been better off keeping one of Moen,Bourque, any other player that everyone wanted gone.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Every team has the need for tough players that can play the defensive game on their bottom six. If those players are capable of producing 30pts. in a season, and stopped the opposition as well as scoring some goals, they are worthy players to have in the playoffs. This is what the Habs want from DSP, giving him the opportunity to bring his game back to the levels once expected, is the development the Habs are putting on DSP to prove in this season and in Camp @ Pre-Season, IMHO.:nod:

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite

I am very concerned with our coaches ability to implement an offensive scheme ???

Crosby eluded to this while MT was in Pitt. and WOW are we witnessing now.........?

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Lol @ him hitting. He's too slow to even catch up to throw a good hit. His only good hits are people bouncing off of him. We would have been better off keeping one of Moen,Bourque, any other player that everyone wanted gone.

hey ill take people bouncing off people at this stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad