Weiss to Detroit -- farewell

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
I will sorely miss Weiss. I know he wasn't the greatest player or anything, but he did actually mean a lot to this team and its fans. He had something few players had here: loyalty. He wanted to win here and he finally saw the playoffs with us, even winning the division title.

Weiss has always been hungry to win and do what's right, he will push himself to the point that it goes too far and he plays injured to his and his team's detriment.

People can say what they want about him and his ups and downs, but there's no doubting he was one of the few stable things here. I know I'll miss him and his dedication to this team. He had something guys like Horton and Bouwmeester never had: he cared about this team.

Good luck to you in Detroit, Stephen.

Ruston*

**** him for not being straight with DT early last season about whether or not he'd re-sign, only to have him get injured shortly thereafter, thus making him untradeable. And, to ice the cake, he gets the Panthers to pay for his surgery so he can get himself fixed up for his next team.

Jack of all trades. Master of none. Excels at nothing.

A shame we didn't get Mikko Koivu in 2001.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
:( im really unhappy.
Why do we have to keep watching our boys leave to win elsewhere? This one looks like it.

I know you read this ****, good luck dude, you deserved a C here, you'll get your C U P there :) You and Datsyuk and Zetterberg and Alfredsson...have fun brotha!!!!!
Because this is a losing franchise. Players are motivated to win and/or get paid, this franchise usually does neither. You can also add history, hometown and weather to that list, but we have no control over where players are born or who they cheered for growing up. As for weather, the big payday will get them a nice house in Florida if they love it that much. ;)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I don't like the fact that he was dishonest about his intentions, but I wish him nothing but good.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I don't like the fact that he was dishonest about his intentions, but I wish him nothing but good.

In his defense, he's not going to come out and say he's definitely leaving. A lot of people knew the writing was on the wall. If he was healthy at the deadline, we would have moved him.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
In his defense, he's not going to come out and say he's definitely leaving. A lot of people knew the writing was on the wall. If he was healthy at the deadline, we would have moved him.
He could have said during the season ending surgery interview that "it's been good years here and I've enjoyed my time, but it's time to move on", but instead, all we heard him saying was "I'd like to be a one franchise player like Yzerman or Sakic" and "I realise this could have been my last game as a Panther".

I've been saying since that interview that he's gone (wrong team thou), but I would have preferred to hear it from himself, instead of this "we're still talking" BS.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
He could have said during the season ending surgery interview that "it's been good years here and I've enjoyed my time, but it's time to move on", but instead, all we heard him saying was "I'd like to be a one franchise player like Yzerman or Sakic" and "I realise this could have been my last game as a Panther".

I've been saying since that interview that he's gone (wrong team thou), but I would have preferred to hear it from himself, instead of this "we're still talking" BS.

Well, he doesn't know who will be interested so we may have been a possibility for him. Just not a first or even second choice. He wasn't allowed to talk to other teams until very recently.

PanFan

Jul 5, 2013
get the facts

Not sure where you get your info ... he was never dishonest about his intentions, always intended/wanted to stay ... he never got an offer!

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I really hoped this day wouldn't come as Weiss as always been one of my all-time favorite players and always will be. I don't know if even many years from now if we'll have many Panthers that are as dedicated to the team as much as Stephen was. He didn't turn out as well as the organization originally predicted, but he gave this team his best. Last season, he tried as hard as he could to contribute while he was injured until he realize that it was hurting the team. I do think he wanted to end his career in Florida, but knows he wouldn't be given top minutes long-term once our future prospects develop.

I wish him the best of luck in Detroit where he gets his chance in the near future to win a Stanley Cup. I could never think of him like a Bouwmeeser or Horton because I know his heart in a way will always stick with the team that drafted him.

PanFan

Jul 5, 2013
**** him for not being straight with DT early last season about whether or not he'd re-sign, only to have him get injured shortly thereafter, thus making him untradeable. And, to ice the cake, he gets the Panthers to pay for his surgery so he can get himself fixed up for his next team.

Jack of all trades. Master of none. Excels at nothing.

A shame we didn't get Mikko Koivu in 2001.

Seriously! he as totally straight and never changed his position ... had he got an offer he still be playing here ... he got hurt playing for, who the heck should pay for the surgery???

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Not sure where you get your info ... he was never dishonest about his intentions, always intended/wanted to stay ... he never got an offer!
Well, he said in the conference call (which had Alffie too) that it was an easy decision to sign with Detroit.

I don't get where you're thinking that he's never got an offer, Tallon has been trying to negotiate with him since the last offseason when he became able to sign a new deal.

At the end of the day, it was his call. He wouldn't have stayed even if we offered 10M per, if he really wanted to move on.

PanFan

Jul 5, 2013
Well, he said in the conference call (which had Alffie too) that it was an easy decision to sign with Detroit.

I don't get where you're thinking that he's never got an offer, Tallon has been trying to negotiate with him since the last offseason when he became able to sign a new deal.

At the end of the day, it was his call. He wouldn't have stayed even if we offered 10M per, if he really wanted to move on.

Your 100% right ... it was his call, and it was an easy one ... choose between St Louis and Detroit, there was no offer from the Panthers. Guaranteed he stays, if they put 4.5-4.8 for 5 years in front of him ... just didn't happen. Sad way to end.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
yea i wouldve offered him 4.9per, if he wanted 5.5 then no but i wouldve paid 4.9per. oh well, at least hes on my 3rd favorite team, just sucks hes in the division. i guess we're going with matthias/barkov/goc as the top-3 centers? id still like to sign grabovski. and we still need a top-6 rw, id like to offer a 1yr deal to jagr (or iginla), or a normal contract to brunner.

Hockeypuckhead

Apr 27, 2012
Wow I remembere when he was drafted. As one of my favorite panthers this is heartbreaking. I hope he succeeds in Detroit and gets the respect he deserves.

Back to lurking.

:(

Last edited:

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
If he wanted to leave I would have appreciated that he took another year here, so we could at least get something from him. I know his been a class act, but leaving here for nothing sucks big time..

Too much to ask for I guess.. even Bouw took another year..

Lola

Future Panthers
Mar 30, 2006
Central Florida
Bummed that we couldn't hang on to him. I wish him nothing but the best for his personal career, but there is simply no way in hell I could ever cheer for the Wings. Hell would freeze over first.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
You guys are taking it lighter than I am.

Hard to imagine Weiss as anything but a Panther and the fact that we're going to see him a few times during the season is going to burn. I know he was never a #1C but he was the heart and soul of this team for a long time.

Feel absolutely gutted.

Ekblast

"We're still learning." -Coach Brunette.
Nov 9, 2002
Flori-duh
www.Reddit.com
You guys are taking it lighter than I am.

Hard to imagine Weiss as anything but a Panther and the fact that we're going to see him a few times during the season is going to burn. I know he was never a #1C but he was the heart and soul of this team for a long time.

Feel absolutely gutted.

And I'm the exact opposite. I'm ecstatic and bouncing off the walls. Never liked Weiss and have been calling for his trade/dismissal/retirement/walking the plank for years and years.

Last piece gone from the draft bust era.

handbanana

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Mar 18, 2008
If I hear booing at Stephen's first game back........

Imma flip

There better not be anything but applause or I won't be responsible for my actions.

Wishing Stephen the best of luck. My favorite Panther since I've been living in Florida for something like a decade now.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Your 100% right ... it was his call, and it was an easy one ... choose between St Louis and Detroit, there was no offer from the Panthers. Guaranteed he stays, if they put 4.5-4.8 for 5 years in front of him ... just didn't happen. Sad way to end.

Stephen, is that you?

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
And I'm the exact opposite. I'm ecstatic and bouncing off the walls. Never liked Weiss and have been calling for his trade/dismissal/retirement/walking the plank for years and years.

Last piece gone from the draft bust era.

Having Weiss was like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole from day one. We thought we were drafting a 1C when he was just a 2C. Hope Barkov isn't the same story. As far as Weiss goes, he actually loved to wear the Panther jersey.. That's why it hurts to see him jump ship.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00