Weiss to Detroit -- farewell

Slick Cat

Nov 17, 2007
Weiss signs for five years at five mill per with Detroit. Congratulations, he deserves to be going to a true hockey market that will appreciate his talents. I wish him nothing but the best!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Was gonna make a post asking about him, but this is is a great place to start.

How's his game? He'd be a #2 C here most likely, or #3 even if we ever split up D and Z.

I only know what I see in the game or two a year we play against you guys, what I read in the reports, and Youtube. But there's nothing like hearing from the fans who've watched the guy night in and night out.

He's replacing Filppula. A softish 35-45 point guy. Good 2 way player. Moved from Center to Wing. Is Weiss an upgrade?

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Unlike the toilet floater and Jay-Blo. I have no hard feelings towards Weisser and wish him nothing but the best! Good luck go get a ring!

Slick Cat

Nov 17, 2007

How's his game? He'd be a #2 C here most likely, or #3 even if we ever split up D and Z.

I only know what I see in the game or two a year we play against you guys, what I read in the reports, and Youtube. But there's nothing like hearing from the fans who've watched the guy night in and night out.

He's replacing Filppula. A softish 35-45 point guy. Good 2 way player. Moved from Center to Wing. Is Weiss an upgrade?

Very solid but unspectacular game. Strong defensively and if you put him with decent linemates, he can poduce offensively. Plays in all situations. Ideal #2 center, but unfortunately everyone here expected first line production. Only concern would have is that he has a five year deal and has had some injury isssues including a bad wrist injury that could cause problems.

Can play in all key situations and I believe his idol was Stevy Y. Should be the next unappreciated recent former panther to contribute to a cup win after leaving this team.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Very sad day. Seems as hard as they try to move forward, this team takes two steps forward only to take one step back every season. Thus they fail to reach their goals quickly enough to avoid rebuilding again as each wave of promising prospects goes to free agency.

Still...Weiss doesn't deserve $5M per. He cashed in, good for him, but it shows how out of whack the free agent market still is.

Nothing to do now but look forward.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
i found Weiss to be one of the softer players in the league. Very easy to knock off the puck, and while defensively he can get gritty, on the forecheck, he is not going to give you much.

GernBlanston

May 20, 2011
Smyrna, GA
is he gritty? physical? does he play with any intensity?

I really think he is one of the better 2-way centers in the league. The only frustrating thing for me is that he often tended to play one way or the other... he's either playing a little soft and being very responsible in his own end, or being really aggressive, but slow to get back on the back-check. When he puts both parts of his game together, he's one of the better centers around. But don't expect a ton of grit.

That said, he's gonna become a fan favorite in Detroit very quickly. We have nothing but respect for him, and will miss him.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
i found Weiss to be one of the softer players in the league. Very easy to knock off the puck, and while defensively he can get gritty, on the forecheck, he is not going to give you much.

Poor description, which makes me think that you don't know much about him. He is going to shine on the Wings second line, and I expect him to have career numbers, as long as he stays healthy.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

I would say you guys made a very nice pick up because he will fit in well on the second line.

He's a defensively responsible player who can contribute offensively and play in all key situations. He isn't a physical, gritty type player, and he's not the strongest player, but he has good positioning and is defensively sound. He won't be knocking guys off the puck or dishing out big hits, but he won't shy away from taking some punishment.

Panthers607

If I hear booing at Stephen's first game back........

Imma flip

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
weiss will be recognized as a top 2C in the league now that he play for the wings

Aug 6, 2012
Weiss will likely be centering two of Franzen, Nyquist or Alfredsson. Excited to have him in Detroit as he seems to be a really solid and appreciated player. Lets hope his wrist is close to normal by the time the season runs along.

OT but think Brunner would be a good fit in Flordia.

Jan 19, 2006
It says something that as much as I think the Panthers need a top 6 center for next season, I am very happy that Weiss' long term contract is not here.

I wish him the best and hope he can stay healthy and productive with talented line mates.

I'm just glad the last piece of that disappointing Panthers youth movement is gone.

Sad. :(

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009

I think Weiss will be an upgrade for you. 50-60 points, maybe a little more with your team, good 2-way. He is not very strong but he's definitely not soft.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
:( im really unhappy.
Why do we have to keep watching our boys leave to win elsewhere? This one looks like it.

I know you read this ****, good luck dude, you deserved a C here, you'll get your C U P there :) You and Datsyuk and Zetterberg and Alfredsson...have fun brotha!!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad