Weiss to Detroit -- farewell

handbanana

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Mar 18, 2008
Thread name: Congrats Weiss?

For what? Being signed by a much better organization than us?

Well, yes. Last time he signed with the Panthers, I thought it wasn't the best thing for him personally to do. A cheap, losing franchise that's apparently dead set on not getting anywhere (and don't wave shiny new talent at me before we see if they're flushed down the loo as well). Good for him for getting out, even if his hand was forced.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Thanks for changing the thread name. It just came off kind of like the time they threw confetti on the ice after the season's end. But that's all behind us now right?!

Right?!

JPG

Jul 31, 2002
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Visit site
Weiss played for Plymouth in the juniors which is not too far from Detroit. I'm sure he's at least partly a Red Wing fan and this will make him happy. He gave us his prime years in service, sweat and blood. He stuck with us and kept a positive attitude when many didn't. I wish him nothing but the best.

Detroit you will have an extremely valuable second line center. Consider that position filled as long as he stays healthy. He is a warrior and plays through injuries but this past year he played through some he shouldn't have. I think he is a great fit on Detroit because he will be utilized correctly and will shine.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I will sorely miss Weiss. I know he wasn't the greatest player or anything, but he did actually mean a lot to this team and its fans. He had something few players had here: loyalty. He wanted to win here and he finally saw the playoffs with us, even winning the division title.

Weiss has always been hungry to win and do what's right, he will push himself to the point that it goes too far and he plays injured to his and his team's detriment.

People can say what they want about him and his ups and downs, but there's no doubting he was one of the few stable things here. I know I'll miss him and his dedication to this team. He had something guys like Horton and Bouwmeester never had: he cared about this team.

Good luck to you in Detroit, Stephen.

Well said man, well said.

Weiss was supposed to be a lifetime Panther. For over a decade I dreamt of this guy being our foolproof 2nd line center when we finally built a contender. I wished so badly to watch him lift a cup in a Panther sweater.

His loyalty cannot be ignored. He stuck it through some absolutely horrible seasons with this franchise. He stayed when EVERYONE else wanted to go. He stayed through lockouts, injuries, terrible losing streaks, draft busts, everything. For every dark day this franchise has had over the last decade+, he was there.

To see him leave like this is bittersweet. In one way, he gets to move onto a contender after suffering here for so long. Don't be bitter guys, he deserves it. He sat through a lot worse **** than most players have had to over the first half of their career.

I also wish management just gave him what he wanted and rewarded him for his loyalty.

In reality, the move is good for both sides. IF Bjugs and co. develop, there wasn't really a spot for Weiss. Losing him sucks and is a tough pill to swallow, but he deserves to play for a good team.

It's also going to be rough when the Red Wings run over us during the season.

But fans that will be at the game, I ask one thing. Please, don't boo Stephen. Give him a nice ovation, because he deserves it. He was the closest thing we can to to having a franchise player. He obviously didn't mean those expectations, but he was the face of this team for a while.

Let him know he is still loved in South Florida.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
No way do I boo Stephen. All of the crap that he put up with over the years with this franchise. True professional. Never complained. Loyal until the end. Wish it would have panned out differently.

Gonna miss #9.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
I'll miss him, he was always one of my favorite Panthers. Seemed like a straight-up honest guy.
Now I'll have to change my avy dammit.

On another note, it sucks that the Wings are in our division. It will be hard for me not to root for them now that Weiss and Alfredsson are in their top six.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
I won't miss him.

Different strokes....

tumblr_m8bim2ZBbi1rpga6zo1_500.jpg

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
And I'm the exact opposite. I'm ecstatic and bouncing off the walls. Never liked Weiss and have been calling for his trade/dismissal/retirement/walking the plank for years and years.

Last piece gone from the draft bust era.

I would never have guessed from your new username.

Not into hip-hop-R&B anymore? :naughty:

Erick*

The one guy who was actually PROUD to wear our jersey.

Kick him aside.

It's not right..

You actually think he wanted to comeback?
Thinking players are loyal to the organization they play for is about as silly as thinking that organizations are 100% loyal to their players.

Weiss left because both parties probably felt it was best to move on. Don't kid yourself.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
The one guy who was actually PROUD to wear our jersey.

Kick him aside.

It's not right..

I am pretty sure he wants to raise the Cup..He gets a good chance in return. Everyone would take a shot..Even a loyal player..

Look at Alfie..

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
If Red Wings win the Cup this year... Weiss gets his name on it?

To get your name on the cup you need to have played in either half of your team's regular season games or 1 Cup final game. Weiss will have done neither so his name probably wouldn't be inscribed, however the Wings can petition the league to add it.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
To get your name on the cup you need to have played in either half of your team's regular season games or 1 Cup final game. Weiss will have done neither so his name probably wouldn't be inscribed, however the Wings can petition the league to add it.

I doubt the Red Wings win it, but still... I feel for the guy. It's pretty obvious he won't ever be 100% again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad