Weiss...How He Has Fallen!

Thunderheart

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Posted on Spector's site:

MLIVE.COM: Ansar Khan believes Detroit Red Wings center Stephen Weiss’s contract is untradeable, speculating he’ll either be bought out or brought back next season

Thunderheart

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Injuries have taken a toll on him. It's too bad, his last somewhat healthy season here he still looked like a 2nd line center.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
feel sorry for him. glad we didn't sign him. he can take all his $$$$ to the bank. it's not all bad.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I hate to see him possibly end his career in this way. Injuries really have brought him down as he had eleven overall good years down here. We certainly dodged a bullet by not re-signing him. Of course, I didn't think that when we let him go to free agency.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Never that good to begin with. He was an over valued commodity with misplaced faith put into him by Florida. Weiss is a great guy, hard worker, but just never was very talented. Yet another horrid draft pick to go along with the others.

Last edited:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
One of my favorite Panthers of all time. How any Panthers fan can hate him baffles me. If anyone seriously thought he was going to be a legimate #1 center and hate him because he never turned into that thats just wrong. He was overhyped and too big expectations in Florida by many because well.. he was all we had. In his better years he would been one of the better 2nd line centers in the league.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Weiss fell under the same malaise that infected the whole team during his career here. There was never a light at the end of the tunnel. When you could get him excited about something, he would perform.......otherwise he played most of the time like the rest of the team. I think he was 18 when he started here, so the guy has taken a pretty good NHL beating for his age. Never could understand what Detroit saw in him. You could see his body was breaking down and he didn't have that jump in his step. That's one of my pet peeves is that these guys feel the NHL owes them a big long term contract at the end of the careers. Detroit will probably buy him out, but if not he could still be a serviceable 3rd or 4th line center if his durability holds up.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Never that good to begin with. He was an over valued commodity with misplaced faith put into him by Florida. Weiss is a great guy, hard worker, but just never was very talented. Yet another horrid draft pick to go along with the others.

Lol, what a joke. He was one of the few bright draft picks out of a horrendous bunch. He had little to play with, was asked to be more than he was, and played well out there. Never floated, unlike other draft picks, and stayed with the team. If they could've gotten a true #1, he'd have shone as the #2.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Lol, what a joke. He was one of the few bright draft picks out of a horrendous bunch. He had little to play with, was asked to be more than he was, and played well out there. Never floated, unlike other draft picks, and stayed with the team. If they could've gotten a true #1, he'd have shone as the #2.

This and it seems not many remember how freaking lost this team was every time Weiss was not in the lineup.

I think a lot people expected him to be the next Steve Yzerman because he was compared to him in his draft year and Yzerman was his favorite player. The hype machine

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

I agree somewhat, but Weiss is still a sad case. There are 8 players who were drafted in 2001 who surpassed Weiss in career points and two more that are close to his career point total. Weiss was picked 4th overall. You can't blame fans who had high expectations for the guy. I'll agree that Weiss probably would've been a solid number two on a great team, but we didn't have one at the time and still don't so what's done is done. I appreciate what Weiss did for us and helped us win the division the year the Caps regressed a bit. As far as offense goes, Weiss wasn't that great.

c10ne

Jun 10, 2011
Was my Favorite Panther Many Years Shoulda Woulda Coulda I guess glad while he played for the wings they were worse just a diff system oh well he will live even if bought out

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I agree somewhat, but Weiss is still a sad case. There are 8 players who were drafted in 2001 who surpassed Weiss in career points and two more that are close to his career point total. Weiss was picked 4th overall. You can't blame fans who had high expectations for the guy. I'll agree that Weiss probably would've been a solid number two on a great team, but we didn't have one at the time and still don't so what's done is done. I appreciate what Weiss did for us and helped us win the division the year the Caps regressed a bit. As far as offense goes, Weiss wasn't that great.

:facepalm: He was a Panther. During some of the worst years in the team's awful history, under one of the worst owners in all of sports. He got little help while he was here. And dude, 4th overall or not, 8 people ahead of him, while he was a Panther? During the time that he was? That's pretty friggin incredible. Period.

Sorry, but I think you need to start looking at things a bit differently.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I'd take him for 800k to a million on a two-way. maybe can be an effective 4th liner, and move up if effective, if not, he can mentor in Portland.

Loved Weisser, shoulda stayed but not for what he got offered.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I'd take him for 800k to a million on a two-way. maybe can be an effective 4th liner, and move up if effective, if not, he can mentor in Portland.

Loved Weisser, shoulda stayed but not for what he got offered.

No room for him.
Barkov
Bjugstad
Bolland
Trochek
Mackenzie

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
:handclap:
:facepalm: He was a Panther. During some of the worst years in the team's awful history, under one of the worst owners in all of sports. He got little help while he was here. And dude, 4th overall or not, 8 people ahead of him, while he was a Panther? During the time that he was? That's pretty friggin incredible. Period.

Sorry, but I think you need to start looking at things a bit differently.
:handclap:

Seriously. I was pissed to see him not get an offer. Of any kind. He very well may have taken less than Detroit offered, but it's impossible to take an offer if it doesn't come.

He deserved the C, not Joverthehillski. In most fitting manner, who sent us to game 7 OT? Who ruined it? Very symbolic.

To boost what Mogo said, how anyone could think any but good of him...

No room for him.
Barkov
Bjugstad
Bolland
Trochek
Mackenzie

While this is unfortunately true, is he not capable of a wing slot? Wouldn't hurt to havr insurance as often as guys are tossed from the dot.

Just occurred, is it weird that while we aren't prez cup contenders, I don't want to get rid of anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Trocheck will be a winger on this team come on now. no way he stays at center. just no way

and yes he can wing it on the 4th, if not, like I said, he can Heatley it up in Portland.

Doesn't matter, he's still here and there's no room for Weiss.

The 4th line is a checking line, not a "you're not good enough to be 1st line, but we want you on the team" line. It's a change of pace line, Weiss doesn't fit that description. He won't be re-signed.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I must add.. I'd take grippled Weiss @ 1M$ over Bolland :)

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I think the stats I saw showed that Weiss scored at a better rate than all but three(?) other players on the Red Wings. Once he got in Babcock's doghouse, that was it.

Ekblast

"We're still learning." -Coach Brunette.
Nov 9, 2002
Flori-duh
www.Reddit.com
This post makes my heart happy!!!!!!!

No one, and I mean no one on this board, hated him more than I did, and I caught a lot of crap for it for a lot of years.

:naughty:

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
This post makes my heart happy!!!!!!!

No one, and I mean no one on this board, hated him more than I did, and I caught a lot of crap for it for a lot of years.

:naughty:

And it's still completely absurd that anyone would hate a guy like Weiss from his time in Florida. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad