Proposal: Columbus - St Louis

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Would it really be an awful thing for Columbus to be even worse next season? I would think another top-5 overall pick would be a good thing for the Blue Jackets. While Thomas would undoubtedly improve the Blue Jackets and has a good contract (not ELC good, though), I doubt his addition gets them anywhere close to the playoffs. We are talking about a team that finished last in their conference, was 10 points behind the 15th-place team and 28 points behind the 8th-place team.
If they're bad again next season, that really puts the development of their key young players (Johnson, Jiricek, Fantilli) at risk and also creates potential for other important players to want out.

They need to start winning next year or else they could see key guys walk or fail to develop.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Would it really be an awful thing for Columbus to be even worse next season? I would think another top-5 overall pick would be a good thing for the Blue Jackets. While Thomas would undoubtedly improve the Blue Jackets and has a good contract (not ELC good, though), I doubt his addition gets them anywhere close to the playoffs. We are talking about a team that finished last in their conference, was 10 points behind the 15th-place team and 28 points behind the 8th-place team.

They didn't finish last because of a lack of talent. The team is lost, it's largely young kids who don't know how to play yet and don't have enough great veterans to follow.

So yes another bad season would hurt the development of the elite young players they already have, while an elite veteran player would help them.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yes, it would be awful. We have the prospects needed; at this point it's about teaching them how to play the right way to succeed at the NHL level.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
If they're bad again next season, that really puts the development of their key young players (Johnson, Jiricek, Fantilli) at risk and also creates potential for other important players to want out.

They need to start winning next year or else they could see key guys walk or fail to develop.
Columbus needs a lot more than Robert Thomas to go from a 66-point team to a winning team next year.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Just for fun

To St Louis
4th overall pick

To Columbus
Robert Thomas

St Louis goes into rebuild with two top 16 picks, Columbus gets their 1C long term
Not even close to enough value for the Blues to consider moving Robert Thomas. Horrible proposal.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The Blues are in no business of rebuilding when they already have a good core of forwards. Stay the course, they almost made the playoffs with little changes.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
The Blues are in no business of rebuilding when they already have a good core of forwards. Stay the course, they almost made the playoffs with little changes.
Agreed. They have the core of thomas buch kyrou neighbors schenn. Kessel parayko binning and hofer. Then we newcomers bolduc and dean. Then we have dvorsky who will make team of camp. After that we have stenberg lindstein snuggerud plekrick and now we just signed a really good swede. We also have ellis and vaidem zherenko.

Blues will have 3 picks in firat two rounds. So blues have what it takes. To get to the playoffs.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Columbus needs a lot more than Robert Thomas to go from a 66-point team to a winning team next year.
Sure but what they need is already in the room aside from a league average goalie and an assistant coach who isn't Mark Recchi.

A major part of why they only got 66 points compared to their roster (on paper) was a massive amount of injuries again this year and some key guys playing below their abilities.

Reactions: ViD

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Sure but what they need is already in the room aside from a league average goalie and an assistant coach who isn't Mark Recchi.

A major part of why they only got 66 points compared to their roster (on paper) was a massive amount of injuries again this year and some key guys playing below their abilities.
The Blue Jackets improved by seven points over the previous season and have plenty of teams in front of them who can also claim a massive amount of injuries and some key guys playing below their abilities. Columbus should be patient with a rebuild (not that the Blues are making this trade).

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
This is the worst Thomas proposal yet. 4ov doesn’t pull a 24 year old all situations 1C on a great long term contract.

I’m not convinced you’d pull Thomas for 4ov and Jiricek but least the value is there to have the discussion.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The Blue Jackets improved by seven points over the previous season and have plenty of teams in front of them who can also claim a massive amount of injuries and some key guys playing below their abilities. Columbus should be patient with a rebuild (not that the Blues are making this trade).
The Jackets have been at the top of man games lost the last 2 seasons. Very few teams can claim that injuries have played as big of a role in their results as Columbus.

As for remaining patient - they were. The rebuild started in 2021. The fact that they showed only minimal improvement over last season is the major reason why Jarmo got fired.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
You don’t take that chance if you’re the Blues. You do it all day long if you’re Columbus.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Ok forget the thomas prop. How about stenberg ans 1st 2025 for jircrek.
Jiricek isn't going anywhere. We're not trading NHL ready prospects, in an area of need, for picks. Unless an equal level prospect is coming to fill his spot, it's a no.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Would the Blues even trade Thomas for Celebrini? Do we know Celebrini is an 86 point player who can play well on all 200 feet of the ice?

The chance that Celebrini ends up better is certainly there but is it a sure enough thing to justify the risk?

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Would the Blues even trade Thomas for Celebrini? Do we know Celebrini is an 86 point player who can play well on all 200 feet of the ice?

The chance that Celebrini ends up better is certainly there but is it a sure enough thing to justify the risk?

I think the value is pretty fair, but would not do that at this point, because the way the team is structured. Not having a bona fide #1 center would definitely hurt the development of the young forwards that are coming up.

There needs to be some sweetener for us to bite, I think (again, not because of value). If we ever trade Thomas, I would want to completely fix our defense for the foreseeable future in that deal. Otherwise, there is no reason to.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Hell no. Nobody is moving a 24-year old, top 10 center locked in for the forseeable future at a reasonable contract for that pick.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
And if that draft pick turn into Luke Schenn we just traded a proven 30 goal scorer and another 1st rounder into a 2nd pair defenseman.
I wouldn’t make that trade, but at some point we will need to take a swing, whether that is drafting or trading for a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad