Confirmed with Link: Weise and Fleischmann traded to Chicago for Philip Danault and 2018 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
He is just there. Pretty much a younger Flynn. Decent defensively, no physicality or offense to speak of.

Fits in perfectly for therriens expectations of third and fourth liners. Play your shift, dont score, hold on for dear life not to give up a goal

Yeah, I noticed Danault as much as Flynn today, and Flynn wasn't playing. I noticed Mitchell a lot more, but it was for kinda bad readons: bust in to the zone and lose the puck.

Anyway, nit to poo-poo a prospect. Hope he starts turning heads soon.

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
Code:
But the real question is: are we impressed with Danault's play in any way? He seems a non-factor to me, but i might be missing something.

Seems lost and out of sync on the ice. It looks like he is thinking instead of playing. That's maybe a good thing, because it does also look like he can play the game right. No star quality though. With some time to adjust and get some familiarity, we might see him more into the flow. If he does, then I can see him being a useful bottom 6 player.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Code:

Seems lost and out of sync on the ice. It looks like he is thinking instead of playing. That's maybe a good thing, because it does also look like he can play the game right. No star quality though. With some time to adjust and get some familiarity, we might see him more into the flow. If he does, then I can see him being a useful bottom 6 player.

Yeah, he may need some time learning Therrien's system. Hope he gets better. Almost wish we coild send him down.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Yeah, I noticed Danault as much as Flynn today, and Flynn wasn't playing. I noticed Mitchell a lot more, but it was for kinda bad readons: bust in to the zone and lose the puck.

Anyway, nit to poo-poo a prospect. Hope he starts turning heads soon.

The way he's currently playing, he'd be a fine fit as a 4th liner on a good team. But he's not a 3rd line center on a good team unless he gets much better.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Low cap and I saw a few plays that suggested he can hold his own as bottom 6 C. Lower the cap in bottom 6 more cap avail to spend on top6 W.

We are talking about Bergevin there...
Nothing better than having overpriced third liner (Desharnais/Eller) and over the hill veteran (Briere/PAP/Semin) in our top 6 instead than actual top 6 talent...
But I agree that cheaper competent bottom 6 is the way to go.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Yes..he's way smarter than Bergevin..because he keeps saying it.

Leafs are geniuses for picking Marner and Nylander..never mind they were top four and top 7 picks..Habs suck because their picks in the 20-30 range aren't as good yet.

Never mind that the Habs had five players under 24 in the lineup (8 25 and under) last game...Leafs had Nylander play one game so far this season....they are brilliant!!

I still think in five year's time folks will regard Scherbak as a better player than Nylander..but he's not right now...so let's love the Leafs and trash the Habs again and again. The David Perron syndrome all over again.

Never mind that the Leafs core of prime-aged players pales in comparsion to the Hab...they have Nylander..he will singlehandedly trump Scherbak, Juulsen, McCarron, DLR, Lehkonen, Fucale, Hudon, Andrighetto, Vejdemo....he makes me cream my jeans he's so good.

Compare the Leafs core players age 22-30 to the Habs some day just for fun....if you think the Leaf are in better shape you are smoking the good stuff.

But hey..the Leaf have a boatload of draft picks this year that features a very thin crop in terms of depth.. they will all be stars because they were brilliant to pick Marner in the top 4..a players their main scout already drafted once before and knew better than anyone else in the draft...they are sages...Habs' scouts are dunces...because WTK keeps saying so.

If WTK wrote a book it would be one chapter repeated over and over again. Dark indeed.

Then again, aside from Nylander and Marner, the Leafs also have:
Travis Dermott
Jeremy Bracco
Andrew Nielsen
Martins Dzierkals
Jesper Lindgren
Dmytro Timashov
Stephen Desrochers
Nikita Korostolev
Andreas Johnson

Check out their stats just for fun and see how some of these guys are doing. Some are killing their respective leagues.

... as well as
Nikita Zaitsev
Kasperi Kapanen
Stuart Percy
Victor Loov
Frank Corrado
Rinat Valiev
Nikita Soshnikov
Zach Hyman
Josh Leivo
Brendan Leipsic
and even Frederik Gauthier

as well as:
twelve draft picks in 2016 including two first rounders with Mark Hunter doing the picks
seven draft picks in the first two rounds of 2017 and 2018

as well as: JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri, Komarov

as well as the Marlies with a good coaching and training staff

as well as being in great shape salary cap wise

... and then give it all to Babcock and Lemaire.

If even just a half to a third of these guys click, they are far better off than we are. If you think the Habs are in better shape than they are, you are the one smoking the good stuff.

The onslaught is coming and there is no use in trying to hide and pretend it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

habsrule22

May 10, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
Let me know when they actually win something, With a bunch of those players playing now they can t even beat back up goalies. Leaf fan were all gaga when Burkie first arrived and we know how that turned out

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
You can keep trying to stuff words in my mouth Grant, but it doesn't make it true. If you really want to attack me, you should do it properly because everyone here KNOWS that I am a HUGE fan of Scherbak. My only concern with him right now? The idiotic developmental staff in the AHL and NHL levels.

Galchenyuk in the NHL and Scherbak in the AHL are blooming right now. Very idiotic indeed... McCarron will be a top-6. We will pick high this year. Montréal is in a much better shape now than Toronto. Bergevin's plan is going very well and the man had the courage to stick with it this year. Incredible to read a living room GM prentending he is smarter than Bergevin.

At this point there is no possible comparaison between Montréal and Toronto. The Leafs are a pure shame. The first team in the league that is tanking on purpose in a planned manner. They will not make the playoffs for at least the next 5 years. At this point they look like the Oilers 5 years ago. Only Reilly, Khadri and JVR at the NHL level, and two smallish high skill prospects. They are doing the same mistake as the Oilers, which is building from the front to the back. Terrible mistake.

So easy to criticize every move made by coaching staff and management on a daily basis with no perspective. Thank god we have a great GM. He is not perfect, but he is avoiding major mistakes and he has the much needed patience to really build a team through the draft and developpment and trades to bring more youth to the team.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Let me know when they actually win something, With a bunch of those players playing now they can t even beat back up goalies. Leaf fan were all gaga when Burkie first arrived and we know how that turned out

They are rebuilding correctly. In 4 years the leafs will be a good team and we will be on the bubble again.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They are rebuilding correctly. In 4 years the leafs will be a good team and we will be on the bubble again.

"Let me know when they actually win something"

Habs fans that refuse to admit rivals are doing the right thing.

As if we've won anything in 20 years. We're just as ****ing bad.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
We are talking about Bergevin there...
Nothing better than having overpriced third liner (Desharnais/Eller) and over the hill veteran (Briere/PAP/Semin) in our top 6 instead than actual top 6 talent...
But I agree that cheaper competent bottom 6 is the way to go.

A bottom 6 making like 4-5M combined saves so much capspace:
Carr - Danault - Andrighetto
Byron - Mitchell - Lessio
Flynn/Matteau/Friberg/UFA/Waiver pickup/etc

DLR/McCarron in AHL ready for call up in case of injury.

I want to believe that he's not that incompetent though. Overpaying Okposo or someone at UFA for example shouldn't be too hard in theory with the cap going down/staying same. When overpaying top talent on the team, the MB special of adding cheap mediocre bottom 6ers could come in handy.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Then again, aside from Nylander and Marner, the Leafs also have:
Travis Dermott
Jeremy Bracco
Andrew Nielsen
Martins Dzierkals
Jesper Lindgren
Dmytro Timashov
Stephen Desrochers
Nikita Korostolev
Andreas Johnson

Check out their stats just for fun and see how some of these guys are doing. Some are killing their respective leagues.

... as well as
Nikita Zaitsev
Kasperi Kapanen
Stuart Percy
Victor Loov
Frank Corrado
Rinat Valiev
Nikita Soshnikov
Zach Hyman
Josh Leivo
Brendan Leipsic
and even Frederik Gauthier

as well as:
twelve draft picks in 2016 including two first rounders with Mark Hunter doing the picks
seven draft picks in the first two rounds of 2017 and 2018

as well as: JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri, Komarov

as well as the Marlies with a good coaching and training staff

as well as being in great shape salary cap wise

... and then give it all to Babcock and Lemaire.

If even just a half to a third of these guys click, they are far better off than we are. If you think the Habs are in better shape than they are, you are the one smoking the good stuff.

The onslaught is coming and there is no use in trying to hide and pretend it doesn't exist.

:facepalm:........looks like the Leafs are winning the cup in 3yrs boyz.....

Here's one for ya....Leafs don't make the playoffs for another 5yrs....that's what I think of this list

Frederick Gauthier....really??

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
:facepalm:........looks like the Leafs are winning the cup in 3yrs boyz.....

Here's one for ya....Leafs don't make the playoffs for another 5yrs....that's what I think of this list

Frederick Gauthier....really??
The Leafs seem to be commited to the rebuild, it is strange though, that Lebabs was picked as the coach...I don't know if he has the stomach for 3-5 yrs of pain...I guess his salary will take care of that.

If they do turn the corner, and stick with the rebuild, they at least have a real coach.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Posts about the Leafs today = posts about the Oilers five years ago. How's that working out?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Posts about the Leafs today = posts about the Oilers five years ago. How's that working out?

We all know that the Oilers are the only team that ever tried to rebuild with high draft picks.

habsrule22

May 10, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
"Let me know when they actually win something"

Habs fans that refuse to admit rivals are doing the right thing.

As if we've won anything in 20 years. We're just as ****ing bad.

About another 30 years before were in toronto league. By the way Who exactly were they getting to play the right way. Rielly and Kadry maybe. Just wasted a year to get rid of phaneuf and get a high pick

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Hawks
Capitals
Kings
Pens
Anaheim
Nordiques / Avalanche
Oilers of the 80s

etc.

Tankers get an overwhelming % of all cup wins and if they add 2 more teams(they will at some point), this will only accelerate.

The oilers are about to come out of it.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Oilers are only still bad because they had a country club running their team up until this year.

That same type of country club is currently running our team.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
The difference between the Leafs and the Oilers is that the Leafs actually have competent management and coaching.

Funny, don't remember any of the people telling me five years ago that the Oilers were about to dominate mentioning that as an issue.

Last edited:

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Hawks
Capitals
Kings
Pens
Anaheim
Nordiques / Avalanche
Oilers of the 80s

etc.

Tankers get an overwhelming % of all cup wins and if they add 2 more teams(they will at some point), this will only accelerate.

The oilers are about to come out of it.

I like that in your list of how tanking = Stanley Cups you included a team that have never won the cup.

Problem with this kind of analysis is that it there are 30 teams in the league and at least 20 have had a top five draft pick in the past 15 years (just did a quick count, possible I missed one or two and it's actually more). So, it's quite statistically probable that a team winning the cup will have benefited from a high pick. It also doesn't really mean anything.

Mad Brills*

Habs drought in going to reach 23 years this spring.

Almost a quarter century without a cup with this legacy franchise is mind boggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad