Confirmed with Link: Weise and Fleischmann traded to Chicago for Philip Danault and 2018 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
-3 in 2 games so far

Danault was just traded and his life is probably upside down.

Absurd to judge him at the moment.

I hear he's a good team guy. He's big and plays good d. And He's a gars.

And he's fast apparently. This is very important in the nhl now.

Silly to judge him. And he's going from a winning team to a struggling team

And he's freaking out as it is the habs.

Watch him the last 10 games.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The problem with Weise is that he'll command a lot of money and ultimately he'll get paid a lot more for what intangibles he brings rather than actual product on the ice. He's a real good 3rd liner but he is a 3rd liner. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team open up the wallet too much and these deals usually end badly.

It all depends, Weise is a good player, I'm guessing Bergevin explored a future deal with Weise agent to see if there was a match but most likely there wasn't. Weise is the type of player you enjoy at relatively low salary.

A 2nd in 2018 is definitely not ideal, that is true, but the way I see it this pick (or another 2nd) can be used to land assets to help today.

I hope that bergy finally understands the Chicago model: pay your top six 8 mill each on average. Pay the other 17 as little as possible.

Weiss at 3 mill is stupid. So is dd at 3 mill. So is emelin at 4 mill. Pleks is borderline also. These are lower class players that should be on 1 mill. Disagree. Fine. Welcome to the new reality. Chicago knows it. You do not pay mediocre non playoff performing players 3 and 4 mill. Not anymore.

The nhl is now class divided. Top six players on your team earn 8 mill. The rest will earn 1 mill.

Habs have far too many 4 mill contracts. Absolutely idiotic. And bergy made them. It is the reason I dislike him most. He should have known this was stupid coming from Chicago. Is he a dimwit for not understanding this simple concept?

I fear it is so.

Last edited:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
The truth hurts. I agree with you. You should write dark novels.

Yes..he's way smarter than Bergevin..because he keeps saying it.

Leafs are geniuses for picking Marner and Nylander..never mind they were top four and top 7 picks..Habs suck because their picks in the 20-30 range aren't as good yet.

Never mind that the Habs had five players under 24 in the lineup (8 25 and under) last game...Leafs had Nylander play one game so far this season....they are brilliant!!

I still think in five year's time folks will regard Scherbak as a better player than Nylander..but he's not right now...so let's love the Leafs and trash the Habs again and again. The David Perron syndrome all over again.

Never mind that the Leafs core of prime-aged players pales in comparsion to the Hab...they have Nylander..he will singlehandedly trump Scherbak, Juulsen, McCarron, DLR, Lehkonen, Fucale, Hudon, Andrighetto, Vejdemo....he makes me cream my jeans he's so good.

Compare the Leafs core players age 22-30 to the Habs some day just for fun....if you think the Leaf are in better shape you are smoking the good stuff.

But hey..the Leaf have a boatload of draft picks this year that features a very thin crop in terms of depth.. they will all be stars because they were brilliant to pick Marner in the top 4..a players their main scout already drafted once before and knew better than anyone else in the draft...they are sages...Habs' scouts are dunces...because WTK keeps saying so.

If WTK wrote a book it would be one chapter repeated over and over again. Dark indeed.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

Leafs are geniuses for picking Marner and Nylander..never mind they were top four and top 7 picks..Habs suck because their picks in the 20-30 range aren't as good yet.

Never mind that the Habs had five players under 24 in the lineup (8 25 and under) last game...Leafs had Nylander play one game so far this season....they are brilliant!!

I still think in five year's time folks will regard Scherbak as a better player than Nylander..but he's not right now...so let's love the Leafs and trash the Habs again and again. The David Perron syndrome all over again.

Never mind that the Leafs core of prime-aged players pales in comparsion to the Hab...they have Nylander..he will singlehandedly trump Scherbak, Juulsen, McCarron, DLR, Lehkonen, Fucale, Hudon, Andrighetto, Vejdemo....he makes me cream my jeans he's so good.

Compare the Leafs core players age 22-30 to the Habs some day just for fun....if you think the Leaf are in better shape you are smoking the good stuff.

But hey..the Leaf have a boatload of draft picks this year that features a very thin crop in terms of depth.. they will all be stars because they were brilliant to pick Marner in the top 4..a players their main scout already drafted once before and knew better than anyone else in the draft...they are sages...Habs' scouts are dunces...because WTK keeps saying so.

If WTK wrote a book it would be one chapter repeated over and over again. Dark indeed.
Gm I think you've responded to the wrong guy. Look at my posts above. Nothing to do with drafting. I was commenting on paying the top six big money, and paying the rest as little as possible.

The draft debate is a separate matter. One that we can debate at our leisure.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

You can keep trying to stuff words in my mouth Grant, but it doesn't make it true. If you really want to attack me, you should do it properly because everyone here KNOWS that I am a HUGE fan of Scherbak. My only concern with him right now? The idiotic developmental staff in the AHL and NHL levels.

I am smarter than Bergevin. That's not an accomplishment, that's not me bragging myself up, it's really easy to be smarter than Bergevin. We disagree, a lot, but I think you're smarter than Bergevin. I don't even know why you support him, since a lot of the problems you constantly tweet about, are, directly his responsibility.

Where did I say the Leafs were geniuses for selecting Nylander or Marner? I said they were smart because they identified a plan and they've gone through with it. Getting Nylander and Marner were the result of a management team that said, you know what, we're tired of just trying to squeak in the play-offs (sound familiar) and hope for the best. We're gonna tear this thing down and we are going to rebuild it up the right way. We're going to get the best people in hockey, we're gonna instill a winning culture in the AHL, we're going to get some of the best scouts and developmental staff out there in the junior leagues and bring it to our team. We're going to get a lot of picks and we're going to use them on skill. Not on truculence, size, if they are there, great, but we're going to identify skilled players, we're gonna draft them and we're gonna make sure we develop them the right way.

Who cares about the amount of under 25 players the team has playing right now? I disagree with McCarron and DLR in the NHL right now because they should be developing their offense in the AHL, rather than just trying to tread water in the NHL. Problem is, SL can't develop offense either. They're between a rock and a hard place. I guarantee you, if SL is back and either Big Mac or DLR are in the AHL, their PPG pace will be identical to their first year in the league. Stagnation on every front with our best prospects.

I'm not comparing Nylander to Scherbak. I don't know where this argument came from. If you were around during the great Perron v. Pacioretty debate, I was on the Pacioretty side. Don't accuse me of being one of those people because I'm not.

Are we really going to play the prospects game? So, you're saying the only player in that organization worth their weight is Nylander and Marner? Don't do that because you hyped Dermott HARD and who drafted him? Don't knock a scouting staff who went out and drafted a BUNCH of players that you were all about in their draft year. Don't do it.

Again, I've never had a problem with our scouting staff. I've always defended Timmins. I disagree with his picks when he goes out and takes Louis Leblanc because of local pressure and when he trades up for a behemoth defenseman without any puck skills.. especially over guys who are way better skilled on a team that's starved for skill. However, I recognize that he has been literally the only thing keeping this team afloat since he's been here. There's very little on this team that you can't trace back to Timmins. I get it, Timmins is your friend, you rush to defend him at every turn, but when I insult management, I'm not insulting the scouting staff (except Churla, that guy sucks).

This board is terrible for a lot of this. We all hate the Leafs, I get it. But, lets not put our heads in the sand and say they're not doing things right. They're hiring some of the best people from some of the best teams in juniors for a long time. They've identified talent in management. We've identified friends, teammates, sons, uncles, fathers and daughters.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site

And he's coming into a new system, a crap one, but still new.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You can keep trying to stuff words in my mouth Grant, but it doesn't make it true. If you really want to attack me, you should do it properly because everyone here KNOWS that I am a HUGE fan of Scherbak. My only concern with him right now? The idiotic developmental staff in the AHL and NHL levels.

I am smarter than Bergevin. That's not an accomplishment, that's not me bragging myself up, it's really easy to be smarter than Bergevin. We disagree, a lot, but I think you're smarter than Bergevin. I don't even know why you support him, since a lot of the problems you constantly tweet about, are, directly his responsibility.

Where did I say the Leafs were geniuses for selecting Nylander or Marner? I said they were smart because they identified a plan and they've gone through with it. Getting Nylander and Marner were the result of a management team that said, you know what, we're tired of just trying to squeak in the play-offs (sound familiar) and hope for the best. We're gonna tear this thing down and we are going to rebuild it up the right way. We're going to get the best people in hockey, we're gonna instill a winning culture in the AHL, we're going to get some of the best scouts and developmental staff out there in the junior leagues and bring it to our team. We're going to get a lot of picks and we're going to use them on skill. Not on truculence, size, if they are there, great, but we're going to identify skilled players, we're gonna draft them and we're gonna make sure we develop them the right way.

Who cares about the amount of under 25 players the team has playing right now? I disagree with McCarron and DLR in the NHL right now because they should be developing their offense in the AHL, rather than just trying to tread water in the NHL. Problem is, SL can't develop offense either. They're between a rock and a hard place. I guarantee you, if SL is back and either Big Mac or DLR are in the AHL, their PPG pace will be identical to their first year in the league. Stagnation on every front with our best prospects.

I'm not comparing Nylander to Scherbak. I don't know where this argument came from. If you were around during the great Perron v. Pacioretty debate, I was on the Pacioretty side. Don't accuse me of being one of those people because I'm not.

Are we really going to play the prospects game? So, you're saying the only player in that organization worth their weight is Nylander and Marner? Don't do that because you hyped Dermott HARD and who drafted him? Don't knock a scouting staff who went out and drafted a BUNCH of players that you were all about in their draft year. Don't do it.

Again, I've never had a problem with our scouting staff. I've always defended Timmins. I disagree with his picks when he goes out and takes Louis Leblanc because of local pressure and when he trades up for a behemoth defenseman without any puck skills.. especially over guys who are way better skilled on a team that's starved for skill. However, I recognize that he has been literally the only thing keeping this team afloat since he's been here. There's very little on this team that you can't trace back to Timmins. I get it, Timmins is your friend, you rush to defend him at every turn, but when I insult management, I'm not insulting the scouting staff (except Churla, that guy sucks).

This board is terrible for a lot of this. We all hate the Leafs, I get it. But, lets not put our heads in the sand and say they're not doing things right. They're hiring some of the best people from some of the best teams in juniors for a long time. They've identified talent in management. We've identified friends, teammates, sons, uncles, fathers and daughters.

:handclap:

quoted for excellence of rebuttal.

sad when people let their fan googles completely cloud any attempt at actually evaluating what's happening in front of them.

Hating the leafs is a noble sport, one i engage in regularly. Doesn't change the fact that under Shannahan's leadership, they are rapidly moving in a very positive direction.... nor deny the fact that under Bergevin, we've been heading in exactly the opposite one.

And he's coming into a new system, a crap one, but still new.

He actually coming into a "no real system". I want to correct that for you.

all very true...

Danault has some very solid upside as the kind of bottom-6 player good teams rely on. Hopefully he's allowed to grow into that role without over-the-top expectations or criticism just b/c of his last name.

Solid young player to have added, let's give him some time to prove his value.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Now we basically got a 2018 3rd rounder for Weise.

it very likely could be a late 2nd rounder in '18 but it's hard to predict where a team will end up in 2 years, injuries to top players, etc.. We'll just have to see where the pick ends up, if we even keep it. Hopefully by then we are in a much better spot then we are this year and can use picks/prospects to get us scoring help.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
I think this is a fine move from a neutral perspective but could really be a great move if Danault's presence triggers Desharnais or Eller, and hopefully the former, to be moved, allowing for room to be made to acquire a top 6 forward.

To those wishing that we acquired someone with a bit more upside, remember that it is for that reason that Danault was available. If you acquire a top 6 forward prospect for Weise, very likely it is the case that he has some hurdles in his way before making the NHL. Again, Danault being an NHL player is mostly convenient when you consider who he could replace.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
But the real question is: are we impressed with Danault's play in any way? He seems a non-factor to me, but i might be missing something.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Of course they miss Weise. Would Weise have helped win some more points in the last 4 games. Debatable. Unlikely, too.

But it's more important for us to lose right now.

Can we lose enough to get to the top 5? Unlikely with all the other teams tanking as well.

Boardish

Mar 3, 2004
But the real question is: are we impressed with Danault's play in any way? He seems a non-factor to me, but i might be missing something.

He's a 23 years old kid in his first full NHL season that we got from Dale Weise. What do you expect, seriously? What are you looking for here?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Danault is growing on me, no really skill but I wouldn't hate if Habs decide he's 3rd line C next season and move out DD/Eller.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
He is just there. Pretty much a younger Flynn. Decent defensively, no physicality or offense to speak of.

Fits in perfectly for therriens expectations of third and fourth liners. Play your shift, dont score, hold on for dear life not to give up a goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad