Confirmed with Link: Weisbrod named Assistant GM, Judd Brackett named Director of Amateur Scouting

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Wait, on what basis did you make the assumption that Benning is more successful than all of the posters here?

I would guess based off of net worth, which is probable a reasonable assumption given the average Canadian makes about $35k/year.

The real issue is that that's a ridiculously one-dimensional definition of success.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I feel like Benning is more successful than me because he makes a good living doing what he loves. I make a good living but I don't even like what I do.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I don't personally care about his comments in the 80's. If Detroit found him good enough to hire for 15 years then he's certainly qualified to scout for the Canucks. If you held everyone's feet to the fire over comments made 25 years ago we'd all be labelled something or other. Imagine if our fathers, Grandfathers, friends, family were on record for every comment they made? They'd all be racist and prejudices in some form.

The only thing I don't care for is the direction our scouting is taking. Seems we're going to be heavily focusing on American high schools and American leagues. How come we aren't focusing on our own backyard?

Great post.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
heh, you really have to ask that question? (eg., take a look who's in charge of Western Canada - not that our Quebec scouts have been great either)

It's mind blowing how many successive management teams we have had have refused to address this issue. And now, the last two at least - Benning and Gillis - have gone on record saying some version of "they haven't been given the right direction". Like it's been a management issue rather than a scouting issue. How many different GMs is it going to take before the change is made? Hell, even an ownership change didn't effect Delorme et al.

Probably off topic for this thread, so I'll stop there. Pet peeve. :D

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
It's mind blowing how many successive management teams we have had have refused to address this issue. And now, the last two at least - Benning and Gillis - have gone on record saying some version of "they haven't been given the right direction". Like it's been a management issue rather than a scouting issue. How many different GMs is it going to take before the change is made? Hell, even an ownership change didn't effect Delorme et al.

Probably off topic for this thread, so I'll stop there. Pet peeve. :D
Delorme... I'm at a loss for words. Only person in the entire world that prob goes to sleep every night knowing his job is safe

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I feel like Benning is more successful than me because he makes a good living doing what he loves. I make a good living but I don't even like what I do.

So you're applying your own situation to the majority of the posters here, if not all, and making an assumption about Benning.

It's unlikely to be all of them, but most of them for sure.

By what metric?

well he has a cup ring from that time the bruins beat the canucks, right?

What if I don't value the championship ring that highly?

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
By what metric?

One metric might be the amount of time one spends arguing about life success metrics on an internet forum.

Basically, since you have free time to do things like this, it's highly unlikely you are anywhere near as successful professionally as Mr. Benning.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
One metric might be the amount of time one spends arguing about life success metrics on an internet forum.

Basically, since you have free time to do things like this, it's highly unlikely you are anywhere near as successful professionally as Mr. Benning.

And how did you come that conclusion?

Perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that some folks here may have retired from a very successful career and are quite well off? Or maybe you completely ignored investors or perhaps entrepreneurs with self-sustaining businesses who have the time to chat about hockey online?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto

What if you measure success by the amount of free time you have to do what you love?;)

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
And how did you come that conclusion?

Perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that some folks here may have retired from a very successful career and are quite well off? Or maybe you completely ignored investors or perhaps entrepreneurs with self-sustaining businesses who have the time to chat about hockey online?

No, it did not occur to me. I would think that very successful and professionally driven individuals would not have the time or motivation to argue on an internet forum about subject matter as trivial as this.

I suspect Jim Benning is more successful than 99% of the posters here.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
hes also a lot older... but [MOD] cares about this. like really? [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Or as millbury.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
No, it did not occur to me. I would think that very successful and professionally driven individuals would not have the time or motivation to argue on an internet forum about subject matter as trivial as this.

Yeah but it's he as successful as millbury? No.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I would think that very successful and professionally driven individuals would not have the time or motivation to argue on an internet forum about subject matter as trivial as this.

I think it would be wise to speak for yourself.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Way too many appeals to authority in this thread.

Claiming that Benning is "smarter than all the posters on HF" because he's been part of a Stanley Cup winning management team is the same argument that Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish used when they claimed to "know a thing or two about winning."

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Way too many appeals to authority in this thread.

Claiming that Benning is "smarter than all the posters on HF" because he's been part of a Stanley Cup winning management team is the same argument that Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish used when they claimed to "know a thing or two about winning."

And we all laughed and mocked them for that, now it's suddenly grounds to defend Benning and company. Wow. Say it ain't so Canucks fans.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

well that's pretty passive aggressive. and also a logical fallacy.

Is Benning still considered more successful when his moves bomb? how about when he flames out as GM and is busted back to assistant scout guy with another organization?

I won't ever make pro-sports money in my career, but at least I can be reasonably certain I'm good at what I do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad