Confirmed with Link: Weisbrod named Assistant GM, Judd Brackett named Director of Amateur Scouting

The Jesus*

I mean the Aquilinis. I can try to understand their blind ignorance to the player moves that Benning is making but not the organizational hires (his son, scouts from 1 region, promotion choices, 70 yr old)..

They knew what they were getting with Benning. He's giving them exactly what they wanted. They want the team to be a different style, and Benning has went out and created that style.

Now when we transition youth into the lineup, it will be done with a different tone than it was previously. Say buh-bye to possession hockey and fancy stats, and say hello to rolling lines, dump and chase, and physicality.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
They knew what they were getting with Benning. He's giving them exactly what they wanted. They want the team to be a different style, and Benning has went out and created that style.

Now when we transition youth into the lineup, it will be done with a different tone than it was previously. Say buh-bye to possession hockey and fancy stats, and say hello to rolling lines, dump and chase, and physicality.

But that's in defence to the ignorance of his roster moves not organizational hires.

I love that we're looking into the US leagues. Reminds me of what the Blues have done but promoting and giving a larger voice to only scouts of that 1 region screams trouble.

If Benning's drafting philosophy is as off as everything else we are so ****ed.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Looks like Vancouver is cornering the market on New England based scouts eh.

It's absolutely incredible they need 5 guys who are masters of that region.

Probably a combination of Benning hiring guys he knows from the Boston area and Weisbrod's fetish for US college players.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Really can't get much done when you have that many voices in 1 region screaming over the rest - also causes group think in the drafting process

:(

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
You can't do anything but laugh. The hypocrisy in this thread is delicious.

personally im shocked that you posted a weak opinion and then spend the rest of it sniping people

“I look at it (hiring Addesa) based on the man I know,” said Weisbrod.

“I was playing at Harvard when Mike was coaching RPI and I didn’t know him then. But I know the man I met in 1993 and working with Mike, he’s exceptional and a high-character guy.

“He made a mistake 25 years ago, as we all do, and the contrition over that mistake has allowed him to become the person he is today. I’m proud to stand next to this guy.

“He’s heavily involved in New England with the high school and junior leagues and he’s had a positive impact on a lot of kids. I wouldn’t speculate on what happened in 1989, but I feel comfortable with the character and qualities of the guy we hired.”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/h...ry.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

im glad it took the scummiest snake in the team days to barely give it lip service

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
And I'm shocked you chose to attack me rather than addressing the issue of your prejudice. Today is full of surprises.

if i was hiring or someone i trusted was hiring, there would be a pretty thorough process that involved making sure that he isn't a dinosaur - but an entire organization of stupid dinosaurs hired him. its outrageously likely that he is a dinosaur. the racial thing that you refused to address other than a short personal anecdote is just further indication of that. but by all means, continue to avoid that

if the maple leafs hired a 70 year old scout right now, their age would be of absolutely no concern to me were i leafs fan.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
to be fair to scurr, he hasn't defended the guy. as i said, all he did was relate a personal anecdote and then snipe people

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I am shocked that people like you are so quick to defend a man who dehumanized some one badly enough that they had to go through therapy.

I never did that. I relate to the player on a personal level -racism aside. I haven't been a victim of racism so I'm not going to speak to it. I'm happy to join the march but I don't think it's my place to step to the podium.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I never did that. I relate to the player on a personal level -racism aside. I haven't been a victim of racism so I'm not going to speak to it. I'm happy to join the march but I don't think it's my place to step to the podium.

Have you not learnt from twitter? Just pick up a stone and start throwing...

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
if i was hiring or someone i trusted was hiring, there would be a pretty thorough process that involved making sure that he isn't a dinosaur - but an entire organization of stupid dinosaurs hired him. its outrageously likely that he is a dinosaur. the racial thing that you refused to address other than a short personal anecdote is just further indication of that. but by all means, continue to avoid that

if the maple leafs hired a 70 year old scout right now, their age would be of absolutely no concern to me were i leafs fan.

It is easy to attack everyone in the organization as dumb dinosaurs. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

How is it sad?

Success is subjective.

I could argue that all Benning did was leech of others success in Boston and in Vancouver (We all know he had very little to do with the 101 point season aside from bringing Vrbata in).

Is that what you define as successful? He is the worst NHL general manager in the NHL right now. Is that success?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

you're right. when everyone in the organization is a dinosaur and they fired all the smart people, its very easy to attack them as dumb dinosaurs. its also very easy to identify colours, shapes, letters

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It is easy to attack everyone in the organization as dumb dinosaurs.[MOD]

[MOD]

It doesn't surprise me when it was reported that most GMs are thinking Benning is way over his head. I think he won't last long here and I think he will get probably one more chance somewhere before getting run out permanently.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
you're right. when everyone in the organization is a dinosaur and they fired all the smart people, its very easy to attack them as dumb dinosaurs. its also very easy to identify colours, shapes, letters

The thing I don't like about Benning is he has a low level of education and looks and sounds like the chief of police in a sitcom from 1957. The thing I don't like about Weisbrod is he studied literature at Harvard and skates by on his eloquence - plus he looks like the mayor from that same sitcom. If you're searching for a point in this paragraph, good luck to you.

I was upset when all those "smart" people were fired, especially, for some reason, Lorne Henning, but I'm sick of reading statements about how dumb this current group is, an opinion that is usually unshaded, without nuance, without hedging, with no sense that there is the slightest chance that the opinion could be wrong. The group has also made some good moves, and I think it's foolish to dismiss them completely at this point.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The thing I don't like about Benning is he has a low level of education and looks and sounds like the chief of police in a sitcom from 1957. The thing I don't like about Weisbrod is he studied literature at Harvard and skates by on his eloquence - plus he looks like the mayor from that same sitcom. If you're searching for a point in this paragraph, good luck to you.

I was upset when all those "smart" people were fired, especially, for some reason, Lorne Henning, but I'm sick of reading statements about how dumb this current group is, an opinion that is usually unshaded, without nuance, without hedging, with no sense that there is the slightest chance that the opinion could be wrong. The group has also made some good moves, and I think it's foolish to dismiss them completely at this point.

I based my opinion on their actions more than words. Their actions are mmmm questionable. All of them. Nothing makes sense, well they can make sense but that would require some twisted logic.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
but I'm sick of reading statements about how dumb this current group is, an opinion that is usually unshaded, without nuance, without hedging, with no sense that there is the slightest chance that the opinion could be wrong.

you're free to not read them, i guess? i dont really care.

smart people can make mistakes, dumb people can get lucky

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, signs ducks to absurd contracts and loses trades to ducks, I go with the strong evidence for the duck even though it, like everything else in the world, could prove to be incorrect.

I don't see the need to preface every post with "This is just my opinion and it could be wrong," but that's just my opinion and it could be wrong.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, signs ducks to absurd contracts and loses trades to ducks, I go with the strong evidence for the duck even though it, like everything else in the world, could prove to be incorrect.

I don't see the need to preface every post with "This is just my opinion and it could be wrong," but that's just my opinion and it could be wrong.

You last sentence is on the mark. I won't go on with this, as even though I brought it up I don't care enough to rehash an argument that's probably taken place a dozen times already. As you were.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
How is it sad?

Success is subjective.

I could argue that all Benning did was leech of others success in Boston and in Vancouver (We all know he had very little to do with the 101 point season aside from bringing Vrbata in).

Is that what you define as successful? He is the worst NHL general manager in the NHL right now. Is that success?

He made the NHL on hard work and talent, more than any of us have done

Benning is more successful than any of us.

And if you're making the princes are born form kings argument than gratz???

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It is easy to attack everyone in the organization as dumb dinosaurs. The sad thing is you probably could only dream to be half as successful as any one of the people you are insulting

What does that have to do with anything?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Wait, on what basis did you make the assumption that Benning is more successful than all of the posters here?

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I don't personally care about his comments in the 80's. If Detroit found him good enough to hire for 15 years then he's certainly qualified to scout for the Canucks. If you held everyone's feet to the fire over comments made 25 years ago we'd all be labelled something or other. Imagine if our fathers, Grandfathers, friends, family were on record for every comment they made? They'd all be racist and prejudices in some form.

The only thing I don't care for is the direction our scouting is taking. Seems we're going to be heavily focusing on American high schools and American leagues. How come we aren't focusing on our own backyard?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad