Pre-Game Talk: Weekly Thread | @DAL, vs NSH, vs CBJ

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I’m not really all that worried. Yeah, we suck at the moment but it’s a long season and we’re missing some really key dudes. A lot of the rest of our key players are new to the system and just getting to know each other anyway.

That being said - I’ve been a pretty big fan over the years, but Bednar seems to be a little slow on the draw with answers at the moment.

I agree. This feels like a funk to me, not that they fell back to earth or anything. I think their start was much closer to what they're capable of.

A lot of key guys like Nate, Landy, Makar, and Girard weren't really playing their best during their winning streak anyway.

Get more focused for the starts, work on executing passes and finishing shots in practice, keep working on the PP, stop running into stellar goaltenders and poor officiating, get Mikko back relatively soon, and hopefully they can get back up in the standings.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
To be fair, they're on as much of a hot streak as the Avs are on a cold one.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I agree. This feels like a funk to me, not that they fell back to earth or anything. I think their start was much closer to what they're capable of.

A lot of key guys like Nate, Landy, Makar, and Girard weren't really playing their best during their winning streak anyway.

Get more focused for the starts, work on executing passes and finishing shots in practice, keep working on the PP, stop running into stellar goaltenders and poor officiating, get Mikko back relatively soon, and hopefully they can get back up in the standings.
Yeah I agree with the bolded, for sure.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
The Avs are not playing really well since the begining of the season. At first they were getting results while not having complete efforts. Now they can’t be buoyed by talent.

I think they are still lucky to have their current record.

Something is not right and has to be fixed. I worry about players tuning out Bednar somewhat.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Avs are not playing really well since the begining of the season. At first they were getting results while not having complete efforts. Now they can’t be buoyed by talent.

I think they are still lucky to have their current record.

Something is not right and has to be fixed. I worry about players tuning out Bednar somewhat.
100% correct. Of the 8 wins I would say 2 maybe three of those were well deserved wins. Tampa and Vegas although you can argue that Francouz was stellar to give us that win against Tampa. Against Vegas we were great start to finish. It was no different last season when we had that amazing start but I didnt feel like we were playing good hockey....and then our goaltending went to shit and we went into a spiral. So far our goaltending hasnt been the problem although Grubauer five hole is beginning to concern me a bit.

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Finally some people remember how it was. It's not because we were winning that we were playing well.

When you win despite not playing well you create bad habits and when you lose your puck luck you go on long losing streaks.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs rarely put together a 60 minute solid effort even when they win games. The last time this team put together a solid season where they were just that, a solid team through and through all season long was probably the 2001 season when they won the president's trophy and the cup. I mean that was the perfect season

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Avs had their Gala last night? Am I wrong in thinking that historically they’ve gotten stomped in games following the Gala?

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Rantanen and Landeskog combined for 25 percent of the team’s goals last year. It’s not surprising a ton of flaws get exposed when a team loses 1/4 of it’s goal scoring at once.

Would Dallas be on a heater right now without Seguin and Benn?

Toronto without Matthews and Marner?

Would the Blues still be winning if they lost O’Reilly in addition to Tarasenko?

Even a team like Boston, if they were missing Krecji and Pastrnak at the same time, they would probably stumble too.

These are all combos who make up about the same scoring that Landeskog and Rantanen did.

There are few teams in the NHL that could survive a loss like this. It is not surprising that Avs aren’t one of them.

Avs need great goaltending, and to have the best line in the NHL in order to be successful. They don’t have either right now. Once Grubauer heats up, or the injured players come back, they will get back to winning like they did at the start of the year.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Rantanen and Landeskog combined for 25 percent of the team’s goals last year. It’s not surprising a ton of flaws get exposed when a team loses 1/4 of it’s goal scoring at once.

Would the Blues still be winning if they lost O’Reilly in addition to Tarasenko?

Even a team like Boston, if they were missing Krecji and Pastrnak at the same time, they would probably stumble too.

These are all combos who make up about the same scoring that Landeskog and Rantanen did.

There are few teams in the NHL that could survive a loss like this. It is not surprising that Avs aren’t one of them.

Avs need great goaltending, and to have the best line in the NHL in order to be successful. They don’t have either right now. Once Grubauer heats up, or the injured players come back, they will get back to winning like they did at the start of the year.
I would not be worried about the losses if I liked the way they played. I don’t see a team adjusting to those missing pieces. I don’t see a team that is focused and putting in the required effort. I don’t see anyone raising to the challenge of increase responsibilities. This is what I find worrying.

Last edited:

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Avs had their Gala last night? Am I wrong in thinking that historically they’ve gotten stomped in games following the Gala?
With or without the Gala, I’m fully expecting the Avs to get slaughtered tonight by the Predators based on their play alone.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Sammy G will step up and show the Preds what they lost out on in the Duchene trade - right?!. 3-2 Avs. The slump can't continue forever - right?! Shit. I want to watch as I do every game, but I also don't want another disappointment.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca

In terms of importance it's more like the Bruins losing Pasta & Bergeron but your point still stands. The thing is though it's not an excuse for playing poorly. They were playing poorly and finding ways to win earlier, now the tide is turning. I'd rather lose playing a solid game than win with terrible habits

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe the Montreal media was right and we’re just trading for Price
Small font is better than a sarcasm emoji.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad