Weekly News Roundup (9/26 - 10/2) -- TNA's doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
What the hell would they even do with the video library?

I mean.. it is wrestling history. There are some good matches. They could easily use it for some content on the Network.

And sarcastically speaking, The Rise and Fall of TNA would be available on DVD in 3 minutes. It would feature Steph telling us how bay the McMahon family killed the company.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think the biggest thing for WWE to acquire TNA's video library would be for legends that worked there and had decent-to-great showings at any point. Think legends like Sting and Kurt Angle. Samoa Joe and AJ Styles. Roode, Aries and Young. Matt and Jeff Hardy. Bully Ray. Mainly legends or guys known to the company so they can put it on DVDs and documentaries to have at their disposal whenever they want.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
There are some pictures on twitter of WWE's live event in Vegas tonight. The arena doesn't even look half full.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Corgan's best bet is to preserve the roster and just produce a completely new brand. New name, new identity, new colors, new production. Scorched Earth.

They have quality talent and with good creative they could be a legitimate promotion, but the TNA brand is toxic. It can't be salvaged.

Oct 18, 2011
WWE is always going to need content for the network and dvd's. i mean you figure if they bring kurt angle back into the fold, dvd's of angle and styles alone probably make it financially worth it for WWE

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The only possible reason I can think of for Vince to be the investor is that somehow it gives him a stake in TNA to buy them out at basement level prices.

That is the only way WWE is even in on buying TNA. If Billy's sale fails and no one else steps up, Vince gets the video library really cheap. I would buy the death and burial of TNA DVD. I would read Alvarez's "Dixie sucks" book.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dave Meltzer outlined some of the folks trying out for NXT, and Kimber Lee is one of them. Please sign her! :handclap:

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
he mentioned in the observer that shayna baszler is one of them, and possibly Candace

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Heidi Lovelace is there too. I wasn't sure who Shayna Baszler was, or more aptly, knew how to spell it so I could see who he was talking about since I don't watch UFC.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Does WWE think these turnouts have anything to do with overexposure yet? PPV, Raw, Smackdown, CWC, NXT, and 300 other shows on the network.... why the hell would someone want to pay $20 to park and $20-100 per person for a ticket to see them do the same thing you saw 10 hours a week already?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd cut a date off of each loop if I were them. These wrestlers are investments, you don't want to risk them if they're going house shows in front of a few hundred people.

It's not even like it's a Monday.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Does WWE think these turnouts have anything to do with overexposure yet? PPV, Raw, Smackdown, CWC, NXT, and 300 other shows on the network.... why the hell would someone want to pay $20 to park and $20-100 per person for a ticket to see them do the same thing you saw 10 hours a week already?

I just don't think anyone but hardcore fans are interested in the product anymore. Casuals aren't even spending $15 to attend the live events anymore.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
House shows in towns that get the TV shows, they're basically all for the kids and the odd hardcore fan who wants the chance to get up close for cheaper cost than they would otherwise. Even me, I considered going to the house show in Wildwood, but only because I was there, I could walk there, and it was something to do on my vacation. Yet I didn't go as I had other plans. It would have to take an extraordinary set of circumstances to make me want to do that in Philly. Fans like the ones on this board know that nothing is going to happen to advance storylines, they're just gonna be out there wrestlin'. It's different if you're in a town where WWE rarely shows up.

As far as overexposure, that has to be a factor. I was willing to go to an NXT house show this year because I don't get opportunities otherwise to see NXT live. And the crowd in there was great, so I'm sure a lot of other people felt the same way I did. Chances are over the next year I will only be able to see NXT in Philly or Brooklyn. Although their Baltimore show, which is closer to Delaware than Baltimore proper, has me thinking a little bit.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just don't think anyone but hardcore fans are interested in the product anymore. Casuals aren't even spending $15 to attend the live events anymore.

Maybe we are beginning to see the end of WWE wrestling in a slow burn? I've been on record before saying that I believe in my lifetime, we will see the end of wrestling from a big stage/stadium entertainment perspective (WWE). If casuals have no reason to invest, and realistically they do not, we could be at the beginning of the long journey that ends big stage entertainment wrestling.

And I understand the business side of things with some of the promising numbers coming out from the network, but inevitably as the fanbase shrinks, the ramifications will continue to grow. I'm not saying it will go out in the next 3-5 years. But I do wonder if we will continue to see the product 10-20 years down the road.

House shows in towns that get the TV shows, they're basically all for the kids and the odd hardcore fan who wants the chance to get up close for cheaper cost than they would otherwise. Even me, I considered going to the house show in Wildwood, but only because I was there, I could walk there, and it was something to do on my vacation. Yet I didn't go as I had other plans. It would have to take an extraordinary set of circumstances to make me want to do that in Philly. Fans like the ones on this board know that nothing is going to happen to advance storylines, they're just gonna be out there wrestlin'. It's different if you're in a town where WWE rarely shows up.

As far as overexposure, that has to be a factor. I was willing to go to an NXT house show this year because I don't get opportunities otherwise to see NXT live. And the crowd in there was great, so I'm sure a lot of other people felt the same way I did

Should WWE start changing their venues they go to? Maybe make it harder to get in because only so many seats are available? From a business perspective, 1.5k in a sold out smaller venue over 1.5k in a 8,000 capacity will have a better feel and change the landscape of the evening. Plus it would lower costs, eh?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
not gonna watch the whole show, but keeping an eye here and Twitter for when the Great War starts :laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe we are beginning to see the end of WWE wrestling in a slow burn? I've been on record before saying that I believe in my lifetime, we will see the end of wrestling from a big stage/stadium entertainment perspective (WWE). If casuals have no reason to invest, and realistically they do not, we could be at the beginning of the long journey that ends big stage entertainment wrestling.

And I understand the business side of things with some of the promising numbers coming out from the network, but inevitably as the fanbase shrinks, the ramifications will continue to grow. I'm not saying it will go out in the next 3-5 years. But I do wonder if we will continue to see the product 10-20 years down the road.

Should WWE start changing their venues they go to? Maybe make it harder to get in because only so many seats are available? From a business perspective, 1.5k in a sold out smaller venue over 1.5k in a 8,000 capacity will have a better feel and change the landscape of the evening. Plus it would lower costs, eh?

Smaller venues will give more people better views.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad