Weekly News Roundup (9/12 - 9/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
How much money does he actually have? Like will he need investors to keep it going or does he have enough just to piss it away on TNA?

Google is telling me his net worth is $50 million.

NYPost estimated that TNA is worth $40 million, so ya I'm not sure how this is going to work.

Should note the story only says he plans to become majority owner. Not buy the company 100%.

http://nypost.com/2016/09/16/billy-corgan-in-talks-to-become-majority-owner-of-tna-wrestling/

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Billy needs to make sure he's not gonna have a mental breakdown first. So much of his genius (like so many before him) is attributed to the fact he lives on the fringe. It's that instability that is both a gift and a curse but I can't see how it will help in in a major business venture.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Edge interview bits:

How he feels not wrestling and being prepared to retire in 2011

Retiring as champ

Why he distanced himself from WWE

Saving money

His distancing himself from the company comment is pretty much what and why Daniel should have stayed away. I know they wanted him to do the Cruiserweight thing and the general manager spot on Smackdown, but Bryan hanging around is seeing all these guys perform and he can't. Edge stuck around to help build Christian vs. ADR for a few weeks after his retirement, was there to embrace Christian when he won the World title for the first time and then he disappeared except for a few spots here and there (promo on Christian before his SS11 match vs. Randy and the segment with Seth Rollins and John Cena).

I miss Edge. :( If he wanted to come back as SD GM I'd be open to that :P

The guy just gets it. I'm glad he's going to be successful his whole life. Really like everything he said.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Billy needs to make sure he's not gonna have a mental breakdown first. So much of his genius (like so many before him) is attributed to the fact he lives on the fringe. It's that instability that is both a gift and a curse but I can't see how it will help in in a major business venture.

We still live in a world where Billy Corgin is considered a genius?

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
Who is even wrestling for them anymore? Lashley, Galloway, the Hardys? Is James Storm even with them anymore? Abyss has to be 40+ years old now. God I don't even want to look. Last time I did I wasn't sure whether or not to feel sadness or say, "Well that's what happens"

well Andrew Everett, Davey Richards & Eddie Edwads, Drew Galloway, ECIII, Mark Andrews & Trevor Lee is a talented enough group of young-ish wrestlers to build around. But something Meltzer seems to say everytime he reviews PWG is that Everett, Lee and Andrews look a million bucks in PWG, but in TNA...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
well Andrew Everett, Davey Richards & Eddie Edwads, Drew Galloway, ECIII, Mark Andrews & Trevor Lee is a talented enough group of young-ish wrestlers to build around. But something Meltzer seems to say everytime he reviews PWG is that Everett, Lee and Andrews look a million bucks in PWG, but in TNA...

Yeah, well, it's not like the grass hasn't always been greener for underutilized talent. But they do have talent, it's not like the product is unwatchable.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah, well, it's not like the grass hasn't always been greener for underutilized talent. But they do have talent, it's not like the product is unwatchable.

Definitely watchable. Nothing earth shattering outside of the Broken Hardys IMO, but it is watchable. Not the literal joke TNA was for a long while there.

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
I didn't bother much with the TNA/Ownership in they Observer recap, cause it's nothing we haven't heard before, but seeing as it's blown up...

Billy Corgan has publicly talked of wanting to buy a majority interest in TNA. It is believed that as of right now, TNA is owned by Dixie Carter, Corgan and Aroluxe. Corgan and Aroluxue got their points in the company by funding the recent television tapings. Carter at this point still owns in the neighborhood of 70 percent of the company, but Corgan was able to get control and the Presidency of the company for putting recent money in. Aroluxe didn’t raise enough money by the end of August to buy the company, which had been expected to happen. Corgan and his investors are working on putting together a deal. The winner in this appears to be John Gaburick. The feeling was he was gone if Aroluxe had gotten the company, while he’s apparently on Corgan’s good side. Carter apparently wants at least $4 million for her stock in the company. There is the feeling this deal needs to go through because they need the money to do the next set of tapings which start on 10/2, which will cost somewhere between $600,000 and $800,000 total. If they get the tapings done, TNA will at least have everything in the can through the end of November, at which point the new ownership would have to fund another set of tapings

So October 2 is the crunch date for this round

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We still live in a world where Billy Corgin is considered a genius?

Genius is a subjective term. It's what you do with it that counts. Let's take what we know about I call "typical motivated geniuses" because many TRULY gifted and intelligent people are lazy and unmotivated as **** because nothing interests them. Life is boring and uninteresting to them.

So here's the list

1. They do things the whole world recognizes but not all of them are in it for the fame
2. They typically suffer from some form of psycho/social disorders including drug habits. Some are total hermits who do not want to be bothered
3. They reach a creative apex that does not typically last very long. In about a dozen years give or take they do their finest work
4. They tend to be very particular in their line of work
5. They just wanted to change the world
6. They sometimes have an assortment of several talents i.e are exceptional artists as well as musical composers
7. For some reason or another they die early

How much of this sounds like Billy? His work lasted a shining moment in the 90's and faded out.

You can say this about musicians in general because the curse is what brings out the gift. The human mind has a hard time being truly exceptional without something being very SERIOUSLY wrong along with it.

That's why I question him going into the world of pro wrestling. He needs to make sure he's not gonna go bonkers first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad