Weekly News Roundup (9/12 - 9/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Whenever new news is posted in this thread (as long as it isn't legitimate spoilers, which belong in the spoiler thread) I will update the OP. New thread will be up every Monday from here on out for the week.

This also doesn't just have to be WWE news. It can be anything in the world of wrestling. Spoilers for other promotions need [SPOIL] tags, WWE/NXT spoilers need to go in the spoiler thread.

9/12

- Ryback is looking to legally change his name to "Ryback".

- WWE has signed Roderick Strong.

- Dave Meltzer pretty much said the plan is to kill Ziggler's character with constant losses to rebuild him as a heel on the Wrestling Observer Radio.

9/13

- Vince McMahon reportedly tore his quad by squatting.

9/14

- At one point, Alberto Del Rio was offered $500,000 to fight like CM Punk did. Obviously, ADR opted not to take the deal.

- Alberto Del Rio claims Andrade Cien Almas is unhappy in NXT and has talked to Alberto Del Rio about going back home to Mexico. Almas has reportedly asked if things get better on the main roster, but ADR told him they don't.

- Ryback claims his merchandise was #2 seller when he turned heel.

- A student at Seth Rollins "Black and Brave" wrestling school passed away from cardiac arrest while training.

- Paige claims her suspension was due to her not being able to get her test in on time and that she'll be back on television next week.

9/15

- WWE has hid a Randy Orton concussion from the public since Summerslam. They knew he had one, continued to book Orton vs. Wyatt for Backlash and Orton obviously wasn't cleared for the show. He's continued taking bumps on Sunday (Backlash), Monday (live event) and Tuesday (Smackdown) by delivering his RKO.

- At one point over the past few weeks, WWE had the idea that they were going to fire Paige. Obviously that didn't happen. Paige then had the idea to quit and she did at some point over the past two weeks, but rescinded at some point after getting advice from others. She's under contract until 2019 and hasn't fulfilled the certain number of dates in her contract to be let go.

- With Ambrose, Reigns and Rollins being positioned as babyfaces there's a plan to do a mini-reunion backstage at one of the upcoming dual-branded shows - either Survivor Series or Royal Rumble.

- Emma is expected to return to action soon.

9/16

- The Miz and Dolph Ziggler were scheduled to compete in a Steel Cage at No Mercy. The feud is continuing but whether it's a cage match or not isn't known at this point.

- Wyatt vs. Kane was the known backup for Backlash for a while.

- Backlash only drew 7,000 fans in attendance and that includes those who attended the show after receiving tickets for free.

- Alberto Del Rio's booking fee is $4000 a show.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There's reports that Gall took home 30,000$ for beating Former WWE Superstar CM Punk on Saturday, while CM Punk took home 500,000$ for his 2 minutes of work. CM Punk will also receive a percentage of PPV buys, and it's estimated Punk's PPV cut could be as much as 625,000$.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
There's reports that Gall took home 30,000$ for beating Former WWE Superstar CM Punk on Saturday, while CM Punk took home 500,000$ for his 2 minutes of work. CM Punk will also receive a percentage of PPV buys, and it's estimated Punk's PPV cut could be as much as 625,000$.
You know there's a CM Punk thread where this stuff is discussed?

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I don't know if you want to count it as "news" but becky said a replica title belt after her win last night and bidding on it is already at over $1100

:facepalm:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Meltzer pretty much confirmed the plan is to kill Ziggler (bury him) and then rebuild him as a heel.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Was again reiterated that there will not be any Miz/DB match despite them teasing it at Backlash.

Dolph/Miz start was indeed a jab at Punk. Dolph/Miz might also get a cage match at No Mercy.

Cena might come back to TV to work a title match with AJ at No Mercy that also may or may not involve Dean. After that Cena is off to film his reality show.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I didn't say cage, but I said some gimmick of stipulation. You have a coward heel being accused of being a coward, ofc he's going to be a coward and win!

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Cage matches are so bad. When was the last good cage match we had? By far my least favorite gimmick match and it's annoying because they always treat it as a big deal.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Cage matches are so bad. When was the last good cage match we had? By far my least favorite gimmick match and it's annoying because they always treat it as a big deal.

Cage in a Cage! ;)

Before that, I don't know. Maybe Extreme Rules 2011, RAW 800, and Unforgiven 2005? WWE definitely transitioned away from it after the New Generation era, haven't they?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i'm in the minority here, but Strong never impressed me in ROH when I saw him...he's good...but not OMG!

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Dave Meltzer said that at one point, Alberto Del Rio was offered Punk money ($500,000) to fight. ADR obviously didn't take it and wouldn't have drawn the same amount Punk did.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Agreed. The cage isn't even used in any creative way anymore. The Angle moonsault was the highest the spot can go, I guess. That ended it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad