GDT: Weekend GDT| WBS @ Bingo | Friday January 4th, 2013 | 7 pm w/ stream

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
How was Lehner? He let in 4 goals on 40 shots but it seems it was a poor team effort by all so who knows.

Edit: Looks like he got the 3rd star despite the loss so I guess that answers my question.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Edit: Looks like he got the 3rd star despite the loss so I guess that answers my question.
Last two goals he had no chance, one was a beautifully executed 3 on 1, the other was bad defensive coverage leading to a player all alone in front of the net. I missed the 1st two goals.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Boro/Gryba played very well, Eckford and Wiercioch were terrible defensively all weekend.
I don't know what games you were watching. Boro has made terrible decisions with the puck all season.

Wier on the other hand has to play with a Benoit that has forgotten how to not be beat wide by forwards apparently.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
I don't know what games you were watching. Boro has made terrible decisions with the puck all season.

Wier on the other hand has to play with a Benoit that has forgotten how to not be beat wide by forwards apparently.

I saw todays game and both Benoit , Wiercioch and Eckford were brutal. they were running around and continually got beat outside regularly. Considering the number of minutes Wiercioch gets he isn't getting and better defensively..his play is detrimental. Thank goodness he gets a few points or he would be in the Coast.

Berserker*

Other than Neil, all of those guys would get severly beat down by Lucic. I expect Boston to push us around this year, while Konopka didnt bring much other than organized fights, he did play a role for us, and Carkner was arguably the best in the league, you have to be realistic about these things. Smith can take on a guy like Horton, but Horton is only Boston's 5th or 6th option, while Smith is our 2nd option. Neil can only do so much.

Not to mention that I would not want Cowen fighting guys like Lucic anyways. I was usually ok with a star defenseman like Chara fighting because he at least had a huge size advantage over anyone, Cowen is on a level playing field in size and significantly less experienced as a fighter that Lucic types (or even Chara early in his career).

Gryba has been a dissapointment in the fighting/enforcing department, I hope Sdao can take on a bit of that when he makes the jump to the pros. It's past time to be looking for a Neil replacement in the draft.

IMO the sens will have sufficient toughness next season If Dziurzynski along with two of Gryba, Borowiecki and Sdao make the team and they sign Pierre Cedric Labrie and one of Perry, Morrow, Clowe, Iginla or Clarkson.

The way the league has evolved you can't use a pure goon to solve a team toughness issue. The league has far too much skill now, so all the "enforcer" type of players on the roster have to be able to skate and contribute offensively and defensively.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
IMO the sens will have sufficient toughness next season If Dziurzynski along with two of Gryba, Borowiecki and Sdao make the team and they sign Pierre Cedric Labrie and one of Perry, Morrow, Clowe, Iginla or Clarkson.

The way the league has evolved you can't use a pure goon to solve a team toughness issue. The league has far too much skill now, so all the "enforcer" type of players on the roster have to be able to skate and contribute offensively and defensively.
Very true!

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Second goal was a fluke deflection off of Weircioch.

And 1st goal beat him cleanly from atop the right faceoff circle.

How was Lehner? He let in 4 goals on 40 shots but it seems it was a poor team effort by all so who knows.

Once again - the first assumption is that Lehner can do no wrong and of course the team let him down. Sens are 2nd in their division to the 1st overall Syracuse Crunch, 21 wins, 5th overall in goals scored and averaging 3.5 goals per game, but the team let him down.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

So we would need Neil, Smith, Cowen, Dziurzynski, Borowiecki, Sdao Methot, Greening, Latendresse, Pierre Cedric Labrie, and Ryane Clowe in order to be considered a sufficiently tough team?

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Borowiecki
Phillips-Sdao
Wiercioch

Uuuuuugly.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
So we would need Neil, Smith, Cowen, Dziurzynski, Borowiecki, Sdao Methot, Greening, Latendresse, Pierre Cedric Labrie, and Ryane Clowe in order to be considered a sufficiently tough team?

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Borowiecki
Phillips-Sdao
Wiercioch

Uuuuuugly.

Smh, I know David Dziurzynski is a forward but we can slot him somewhere on the defense for more grit.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

So they won't have sufficient toughness next season, by your standard.

Berserker*

So they won't have sufficient toughness next season, by your standard.

Well for one, Bryan Murray was quoted as saying he wanted to add more toughness when he signed Neil to an extension last summer. He also stated that because the remaining tough players in the free agent market were lacking in skill he would have to address the issue later in the season possibly through a trade. IMO we can address that issue with a few prospects making the team next season and the sens signing a few players in the off season.

In terms of prospect, Dziurzynski, Gryba, Browiecki and possibly Sdao are very close to making the team. Dziurzynski could slot right into the 4th line this season and has a very good chance of making the team next season. That should be pretty evident for anyone who has watched most/ all of Bingo's games this season. Gryba has had a solid season and Borowiecki and Sdao are highly touted by the organization and shouldn't be that far off from making the jump. Those three will be competing for the bottom defensive pairing of the 7th d man role so it in't out of the question that two of them will make it.

In regards to free agent additions, the main player I had in mind is Pierre Cedric Labrie. Labrie is somewhat of a heavyweight fighter who can put up some points and contribute defensively. He also is an agitator which is something that this organization lacks. IMO he would be an ideal player for the 13th forward role; he would play against the tougher teams in the league or if the sens wanted an added physical edge. Last season Murray had Konopka in that role so I could see the sens using Labrie in that role next season.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Where is all this Sdao talk coming from?

You really think he is going to jump from the ECAC into the NHL? Sure he's played four years at Princeton, but let's keep in mind that Boro played three years at Clarkson and it has taken him three season to really get to the point of cracking the NHL.

Don't you think Sdao needs some time in the AHL before making that leap of faith?

Also, Labrie is a joke of a player. Please, let's keep the talented players rolling in, not the goons of the leagues.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

You really think he is going to jump from the ECAC into the NHL? Sure he's played four years at Princeton, but let's keep in mind that Boro played three years at Clarkson and it has taken him three season to really get to the point of cracking the NHL.

Don't you think Sdao needs some time in the AHL before making that leap of faith?

Also, Labrie is a joke of a player. Please, let's keep the talented players rolling in, not the goons of the leagues.
There was some sort of chatter that he was very well liked by the team. Can't recall the specifics though, maybe someone else has a better memory.

Berserker*

What is wrong with Labrie? He is an enforcer who can play the game. Even Guy Boucher had good things to say about him
"What sets him apart from some of the other big, physical guys that you might think are fighters is he plays very smart — very, very smart," Lightning coach Guy Boucher said. "He's never caught out of position. He's very safe, very reliable. He's just not a guy you have at the end of the bench that you put him out there when you need a hit or a fight or whatever. He can play the game."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/pierre-cedric-labrie-savors-stint-with-tampa-bay-lightning/1212291

IMO he fits in well as the 13th forward.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Labrie is a goon. Plain and simple.

I could care less what Guy Boucher thinks of him. I've watched him play. I saw him jump Boro for no good reason and beat him which caused Boro to miss two-three weeks worth of games.

We don't need a player like that. I'd rather have a guy that has skill that will drop gloves when needed. See David Dziurzynski. We already have that player in the system.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

I could care less what Guy Boucher thinks of him. I've watched him play. I saw him jump Boro for no good reason and beat him which caused Boro to miss two-three weeks worth of games.

We don't need a player like that. I'd rather have a guy that has skill that will drop gloves when needed. See David Dziurzynski. We already have that player in the system.

yeah, there is no room for guys like that on the sens. i'd rather give dd a chance than sign some bum off the street.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Don't forget we also have Darren Kramer whom BM drafted exactly for these reasons. Has less offensive upside at the moment compared to DD but he is also 2 years younger.

Berserker*

You have Labrie mistaken with Eric Neilson. Neilson was the player that jumped Boroweicki and continued to punch him while the referee's tried to pull him off. Neilson is a pure goon; his highest point total in any given AHL season has been three points. He is a plug who can barley take a regular shift in the AHL, and doesn't stand a chance of playing in the NHL. I am also not a fan of that kind of goonery and hope that Neilson gets knocked the **** out at some point for what he did to Borowiecki.

Labrie on the other hand put up 35 points in the AHL last season and managed to get 12 NHL games as well. So far this season he has 7 goals and 5 assists, which isn't that bad considering the increased skill level across the league. Labrie also plays a regular shift and has been shuffled around among all four lines if I am not mistaken. So Labrie actually does have some skill and is not a pure goon.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
You have Labrie mistaken with Eric Neilson. Neilson was the player that jumped Boroweicki and continued to punch him while the referee's tried to pull him off. Neilson is a pure goon; his highest point total in any given AHL season has been three points. He is a plug who can barley take a regular shift in the AHL, and doesn't stand a chance of playing in the NHL. I am also not a fan of that kind of goonery and hope that Neilson gets knocked the **** out at some point for what he did to Borowiecki.

Labrie on the other hand put up 35 points in the AHL last season and managed to get 12 NHL games as well. So far this season he has 7 goals and 5 assists, which isn't that bad considering the increased skill level across the league. Labrie also plays a regular shift and has been shuffled around among all four lines if I am not mistaken. So Labrie actually does have some skill and is not a pure goon.

You are right. I'll eat my crow. For some reason I remember Labrie being involved in a few cheap shots that game. But I was mistaken, it was Nielson that jumped Boro not Labrie. Boro got jumped twice in that game though, maybe it was Labrie in the first altercation.

My point however remains the same. DD is already there, why do we need to bring in a FA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad