GDT: Weekend GDT| WBS @ Bingo | Friday January 4th, 2013 | 7 pm w/ stream

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I can't find the link, but I am certain I read the rules regarding players playing in the AHL during the lockout was "players must be on a 2 way contract or have played in the AHL last season" That is why Bishop was allowed to sign an AHL contract. You can have 5+1 vets per 18 skaters on your AHL team. Bishop took that +1 spot.

Thanks for the info.

Neil, Methot, Cowen (although injured atm), Smith, Greening. We are not as soft as people make us out to be.

Other than Neil, all of those guys would get severly beat down by Lucic. I expect Boston to push us around this year, while Konopka didnt bring much other than organized fights, he did play a role for us, and Carkner was arguably the best in the league, you have to be realistic about these things. Smith can take on a guy like Horton, but Horton is only Boston's 5th or 6th option, while Smith is our 2nd option. Neil can only do so much.

Not to mention that I would not want Cowen fighting guys like Lucic anyways. I was usually ok with a star defenseman like Chara fighting because he at least had a huge size advantage over anyone, Cowen is on a level playing field in size and significantly less experienced as a fighter that Lucic types (or even Chara early in his career).

Gryba has been a dissapointment in the fighting/enforcing department, I hope Sdao can take on a bit of that when he makes the jump to the pros. It's past time to be looking for a Neil replacement in the draft.

Last edited:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

Other than Neil, all of those guys would get severly beat down by Lucic. I expect Boston to push us around this year, while Konopka didnt bring much other than organized fights, he did play a role for us, and Carkner was arguably the best in the league, you have to be realistic about these things. Smith can take on a guy like Horton, but Horton is only Boston's 5th or 6th option, while Smith is our 2nd option. Neil can only do so much.

Not to mention that I would not want Cowen fighting guys like Lucic anyways. I was usually ok with a star defenseman like Chara fighting because he at least had a huge size advantage over anyone, Cowen is on a level playing field in size and significantly less experienced as a fighter that Lucic types (or even Chara early in his career).

Gryba has been a dissapointment in the fighting/enforcing department, I hope Sdao can take on a bit of that when he makes the jump to the pros. It's past time to be looking for a Neil replacement in the draft.

If you're greatest concern is to have someone to match up with Lucic, you're probably not going to be satisfied. Lucic is a unique player.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
If you're greatest concern is to have someone to match up with Lucic, you're probably not going to be satisfied. Lucic is a unique player.

What about Thornton, or McQuaid, are they unique too?

I only mentioned Lucic because he's a major goalie running culprit, i'm sure everyone remembers the Miller incident; you can expect NHL teams to run Lehner even more with his temper and the potential benefits.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I wouldn't be surprised if a few players were scratched from today's game: Silfverberg, Weircoch, and Benoit are my guesses, maybe more.

I doubt any of them are scratched for this afternoon's game.

However for next week's game Luke may have some major holes to patch.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Thanks for the info.

We've got a guy, darren kramer

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

I only mentioned Lucic because he's a major goalie running culprit, i'm sure everyone remembers the Miller incident; you can expect NHL teams to run Lehner even more with his temper and the potential benefits.

I think he's arguably one of the most feared physical specimens in the league (whereas guys like Neil, Thornton, etc are more ordinary, most teams have a few guys like that) and he's also a very good player (better than the Neil's of the world). So you can bring in a goon, a Matt Carkner, but there is no guarantee that having that guy will dissuade Lucic from anything, because Lucic isn't scared of them and probably isn't going to fight a goon very often anyway.

John Holmes*

If Lehner gets run, he'll probably deliver the beatdown himself.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I always find it funny how goalies are wearing pounds of padding and protection yet they whine about a little contact. If I were Lucic I would have shoved that fact right back in Miller's whining face.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I always find it funny how goalies are wearing pounds of padding and protection yet they whine about a little contact. If I were Lucic I would have shoved that fact right back in Miller's whining face.

As a goalie I find this offensive - some whine and complain after little bumps just like some players do (many players) - however until you've played in net at a high level you don't realize how many injuries goalies get because of these bumps. Its different when you're standing on your feet usually but when you're on your knees in a butterfly or in an awkward position and you get hit, it takes a huge toll on your muscles. Additionally even with the "pounds of padding" a lot of shots still hurt. I've played both as a player and a goalie in competitive hockey and I can tell you that unless you experience it (the knocks goalies take) - you really can't know for yourself.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
As a goalie I find this offensive - some whine and complain after little bumps just like some players do (many players) - however until you've played in net at a high level you don't realize how many injuries goalies get because of these bumps. Its different when you're standing on your feet usually but when you're on your knees in a butterfly or in an awkward position and you get hit, it takes a huge toll on your muscles. Additionally even with the "pounds of padding" a lot of shots still hurt. I've played both as a player and a goalie in competitive hockey and I can tell you that unless you experience it (the knocks goalies take) - you really can't know for yourself.

That's a load of crap when you consider the Lucic / Miller situation. If Miller is going to go out there and play the puck he might as well have charged Lucic and I can think of a lot of ways to plow into an opposing player with all that padding and do some significant damage.

Miller didn't even brace himself. You can sure as hell bet Hextall would have found a way to clear the puck and give Lucic an injury at the same time.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa

I've got to agree with main. In the position Miller was, getting hit while you're up doesn't do much. I'm a goalie, played competitive hockey until 20.

On the other hand, when you're down in a butterfly, I agree with you. It can be very dangerous. I dislocated my shoulder covering up a puck while getting rammed into.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I've got to agree with main. In the position Miller was, getting hit while you're up doesn't do much. I'm a goalie, played competitive hockey until 20.

On the other hand, when you're down in a butterfly, I agree with you. It can be very dangerous. I dislocated my shoulder covering up a puck while getting rammed into.

I agree the butterfly opens you up to injuries. But in Miller's situation I think there are much better ways of handling the situation. You think Tim Thomas would be whining?

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I agree the butterfly opens you up to injuries. But in Miller's situation I think there are much better ways of handling the situation. You think Tim Thomas would be whining?

Not to mention if youre trying to make a save and a guy blocks your leg from moving or pushes you aside with these shoves, they may not hurt you but that affectsyour ability to make the save.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->