Pre-Game Talk: Week to Start Over (ARZ, ANH, @WPG)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This upcoming stretch of games is where we absolutely have to string together some wins.

5 of the next 6 games are against teams that are out of playoffs with nothing much left to play for, depleted rosters, etc. etc. Arizona on Monday, a very tough game against Anaheim on Wednesday(But we are at home), then WPG, VAN, CGY, and EDM for the Western Canadian road swing.

No excuses for this team if they can't at least go 4-1-1 or something over the next 6 games. And really it should be a 5-0-1 stretch.

If we dont at least go 4-1-1 we wont make playoffs. MIN has an easier schedule then us, and they're ahead of us already in standings. Absolutely have to beat the teams we should be beating.

Here's to hoping!

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
With being down the way Colorado is they need a spark, bring up Zadorov and Rantanen, it's sink or swim time.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
With being down the way Colorado is they need a spark, bring up Zadorov and Rantanen, it's sink or swim time.

What does it say about the team if they "need a spark" to actually show up and play a full 60 minutes and fight--hard--to make the Playoffs?

Neither Zadorov or Rantanen are "saviors". No doubt they could help the team, but it appears that Avs Management are playing the "long game" with both of them.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
What does it say about the team if they "need a spark" to actually show up and play a full 60 minutes and fight--hard--to make the Playoffs?

Neither Zadorov or Rantanen are "saviors". No doubt they could help the team, but it appears that Avs Management are playing the "long game" with both of them.

I know, and I've been on board with these guys staying down, but i think finishing out the season with the big boys will be a benefit to these two in the long run.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It would have been nice but the deadline moves pretty much prevent that.

Not really. Matthias can be bumped down to the 4th line to make room for Rantanen, and Zadorov can easily replace Bodnarsuck/Gelinas in the lineup and we could switch up the defensive pairings. Won't happen though.

Tanguay is going to play a hell of a game against us tomorrow if his game vs Florida is any indication. He looked like 14/15 Tanguay in that game. Who knows, maybe he got complacent here.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Not really. Matthias can be bumped down to the 4th line to make room for Rantanen, and Zadorov can easily replace Bodnarsuck/Gelinas in the lineup and we could switch up the defensive pairings. Won't happen though.

Tanguay is going to play a hell of a game against us tomorrow if his game vs Florida is any indication. He looked like 14/15 Tanguay in that game. Who knows, maybe he got complacent here.

remember when Wolski was lighting the world on fire when we traded him? I think he even scored two goals against us. Its nice seeing tanguay do well. I always liked him just not on this team from November onwards.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Of course they literally can but unless 3-4 guys get injured it won't happen. I guess 12 extra games of Rantanen isn't worth burning the ELC. Would be nice to give Zadorov some minutes but probably won't happen until the push is over. The Rampage is becoming a cesspool of awful. it's a shame either have to be stuck in it right now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
remember when Wolski was lighting the world on fire when we traded him? I think he even scored two goals against us. Its nice seeing tanguay do well. I always liked him just not on this team from November onwards.

Yeah I'm not gonna lie watching those Coyotes highlights had me grinning ear to ear seeing Tanguay like that. Always was one of my favourites. But it also made me wonder where the **** that kind of play was for us this season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs need wins and they need ROW's. Minny losing to STL helps, but they're still two points ahead, and they're tied in ROW's. They can't afford to be tied in points, and tied in ROW's, because Minny has the next tie breaker locked up with points earned in the season series.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Avs need wins and they need ROW's. Minny losing to STL helps, but they're still two points ahead, and they're tied in ROW's. They can't afford to be tied in points, and tied in ROW's, because Minny has the next tie breaker locked up with points earned in the season series.

Yeah, we lose the tiebreakers.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Every game from here on out is basically a must-win. This is going to be a very close race to the finish. If they want to keep playing, they need to crush it for 60 minutes every night.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'

Probably. I think he may have been thinking about retirement/moving on come the end of this season considering his contract was over and Sakic had already told him that the Avs weren't going to sign him. Now that he got moved maybe he realized that he could maybe get another contract this off season and keep playing somewhere that wants him on the cheap. That'd give me some motivation. :dunno:

I'm happy to see him have success early one in Arizona, he'll always be one of my favorites. No doubt he will have a whale of a game tomorrow.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If we beat Minny next game we take back the ROW, which is the first tie-breaker.

That's just one game though and it's not for another three weeks. They need to make sure they're not tied at the end of the year, that's what I was getting at. They can't overtake the seasons series with the next game.

Plus, the Avs beating Minny feels like beating up Mike Tyson right now.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Make the playoffs or not, the last 15 games are going to help us evaluate our players, too.

Last edited:

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
With so many villages being burned down this season I believe it is Varly's turn to burn some down.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Tonight is just about as much of a must win as you can get.

ARZ has not scored more then 2 goals in any of its past 10 road games.

Looks like a 4-1 type victory for the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad