Pre-Game Talk: Week to Sink or Swim (@DAL, DET, @MIN, @WPG)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah, I like how he's using the left circle more but his shots are a bit different.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/i...entType='SHOT',+'GOAL'&r2type=3&r2strength=#5

Yea, looks like the link doesn't work when you set it to compare last year and this year, but I'm assuming that's what you were referring to. There does appear to be a difference in where he's taking the shots from. It's hard to compare the two volume wise since the sample size is so different, but they do have an avg distance, and he's averaging about 3 feet further out. Doesn't sound like much, but it's enough to make a difference I bet. Especially when I think he was still guilty of this at certain times last year as well.

Take a look at a relatively comparable style on the wing in Patrick Kane. His shots average almost 4 feet closer than Nate's this year. Or a guy like Tarasenko, who similarly has a shot that can beat many goalies from far out. His average is even more so, approaching five feet closer.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Really, link does for me and I'm even on my phone now. :dunno: All our top guys are interesting this year vs last year. Duchene is missing the middle, Landy is missing a whole side. So weird. I know sample isn't exact yet but we are getting closer.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Really, link does for me and I'm even on my phone now. :dunno: All our top guys are interesting this year vs last year. Duchene is missing the middle, Landy is missing a whole side. So weird. I know sample isn't exact yet but we are getting closer.

Yea just comes up with Nate's 2014-15 season, and the other side blank for me. Same when I try to copy and paste the link myself. Might be a browser issue, or that the link doesn't change with that flash or whatever based chart they use.

Yea, looks like Landy's suffering from the same distance problem as well compared to last year. Not really that surprised. These guys have to get closer to the net.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
How can it if people can't even discern if it's just bad luck or a change in shooting type/style/mechanics/opportunity? And how much to attribute to either.

This is always my argument with these stats. You have to keep stats simple with hockey to draw any meaningful conclusion. For example this avg shot distance measurement. You know where they're taking the shots from, and you're drawing a conclusion to that based on how big a discrepancy there is between past or other examples. There's not much guess work in the actual stat, because you know that's where he's taking the shot from.

It's akin to a 1+1=2 type of equation, and then you can then decide how much stock to put into the answer.

PDO is shooting % + save % at even strength. Shooting percentage by itself is something that involves a lot more possible influencing factors than simply shot distance. Couple that with adding another influential stat like save percentage, and distill it down to even strength, and you've got a fairly complicated equation.

It's akin to 1+1 / 2 = 1 and you're also left wondering how much stock to put into each variable, let alone the answer.

And PDO is still fairly simple compared to other advanced stats people like to site. Their proponents think they can be more accurate with more complicated stats, but IMO most of the time that just makes them less accurate. You have to see the connection between what you're measuring and the conclusion you're drawing, because every situation in hockey can be influenced heavily by the fact that it's an emotional game driven a lot by momentum, and the play of your teammates. The more complicated the stat, the bigger the chance those things could have influenced the result.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
PDO doesn't know why it is low. it only cares about regression towards mean. so to speak. in mack's case it will go up.

But the why is still important to how much stock you put into each variable of a complicated equation. They're not simply a measurement of numbers, there are many things that can influence that number.

+/- is a regression towards the mean of sorts as well. It's goals scored while you're on the ice - goals against, not including PP goals.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
But the why is still important to how much stock you put into each variable of a complicated equation. They're not simply a measurement of numbers, there are many things that can influence that number.

+/- is a regression towards the mean of sorts as well. It's goals scored while you're on the ice - goals against, not including PP goals.

sure, but that's an different issue.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
sure, but that's an different issue.

I don't' think they have quite the same issues, and my argument isn't necessarily against PDO per se, just advanced stats in general. And I fully realize this is a matter of opinion that's rather polarized, and others might not agree with it. I think that stats suffers a bit from what other advanced stats suffer from in terms of complicating it with other measured stats that may or may not have been heavily influenced by unaccounted for variables. There's just so much potential for variance, and situational factors at play.

I just don't think a regression towards the mean in most situations in hockey can be as helpful as when it's used in other settings, or other types of statistics. I think it has the potential to do more harm than good.

Take baseball for example. There's much fewer factors on each eventual play that you're measuring. The pitcher makes one play when he throws the ball. The hitter makes another when he swings, and then one or sometimes two outfielders have an influence after the ball is hit. The entire at bat or game events could have had a small influence, but no where near as much as the actual "plays" made during the at bat, and those inning/game factors come into play with hockey during a period or game as well.

In hockey, during a shift where a goal is scored, there's infinitely more "plays" that had influence on the the result. Did the goalie just make a big save allowing the play to keep going rather than a goal against happening. What kind of plays did the defenseman have to make to keep the goal out of the net. What kind of plays did he have to make to get the puck out of the D zone. What kind of plays did the three forwards have to make to set up the play. What kind of goalie were they shooting on. What penalties were possibly let go during that shift. What kind of coaching decisions like line match ups or combos did the coach make. That's just off the top of my head things that heavily influenced the play, and not even adding in whether a big hit or fight or something happened prior to that shift that gave them a tremendous amount of momentum, or x factors like battling through emotional play and pressure to make a clutch play, or confidence and chemistry between linemates.

These things just aren't accounted for in advanced hockey stats, and don't have nearly the influence they do in a game like baseball where the actions are much more a direct result of a few "plays."

I think in theory many of these stats have a chance to be fairly accurate in what they're trying to tell, because over the long haul a regression towards the mean can do this, but in hockey it requires a much bigger sample size than people realize, to weed out all the variance, and unaccounted for variables. Much bigger than one season's worth in many cases, and that's not the measurement most people use.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i don't think stats in hockey are even close to as accurate as in many settings. i think they leave lot of things unexplained and there are so many things i disagree with them that i can't even list them all.

i've never watched a full baseball game in my life and don't know much about it but from what i've gathered, baseball is way ahead of hockey in advanced stats. and due to differences in how it is played, it might stay that way.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't dismiss stats, as I've always said I actually love stats but my problem is that people are generally forced into accepting them all or rejecting them all. I know that not everyone agrees with everything but still people usually fall into a "for" or "against" camp. I'm neither. PDO has to be one of the most nonsensical stats ever created though. I won't get into it unless someone wants to.

Baseball its easier because everything can be broken down into a single action between 2 people. Hockey there are 12 people doing actions all the time. Football everything can be broken down into lengths and yardage plus there is a defined start and stop of a play even though it involves 22 people it is generally an action between 2 people.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't dismiss stats, as I've always said I actually love stats but my problem is that people are generally forced into accepting them all or rejecting them all. I know that not everyone agrees with everything but still people usually fall into a "for" or "against" camp. I'm neither. PDO has to be one of the most nonsensical stats ever created though. I won't get into it unless someone wants to.

Baseball its easier because everything can be broken down into a single action between 2 people. Hockey there are 12 people doing actions all the time. Football everything can be broken down into lengths and yardage plus there is a defined start and stop of a play even though it involves 22 people it is generally an action between 2 people.

Exactly, and that's not even including matchups, chemsitry with linemates, and momentum swings during games which all heavily influence plays.

I think stats can be helpful if you keep them simple in hockey. Even shooting percentage, by itself can tell part of the story, if you know a players history. That avg distance stat can be helpful. Zone time I think is a great stat. Actual clocked time of possession with the puck tells you a lot.

Stats that try to come up with a formula for possession, or something else get into a territory though where there's just too much going on. For every variable they introduce to the equation, they need to increase the sample size, but they don't ever do that. They just measure it over the course of a season at most, and sometimes less, and that's just not enough to draw an accurate conclusion from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad