Pre-Game Talk: Week to Sink or Swim (@DAL, DET, @MIN, @WPG)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
After a couple light weeks on the schedule, we enter another big week for this hockey team. Three divisional games on the road including a back to back, big points at stake and possibly after a good week could result in residing in a playoff spot.

How many points will the Avs get? How many will it take to have a successful week? When will Elliott see action? Will Varly play every game (I'm thinking yes)? Any other line up surprises?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm gonna say loss in Dallas, win against Detroit, OT loss to Wild, and regulation loss to Jets

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I have a real bad feeling about this week. I can see us getting blown out in Dallas against that speedy offence. I then see us losing to Detroit seeing as that's basically a home game for them and they're playing real good lately. Devan Dubnyk seems to always beat us and Minnesota has picked it up since they got him, plus their players turn on God-Mode when they play us in Minnesota, and I don't think we can beat Winnipeg in Winnipeg.

Don't want to be too negative, but I can absolutely see us going 0-4 this week, all in regulation, effectively ending our playoff hopes.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Nah, not 0-4. They will probably keep teasing us. 4 points would be just enough to keep it up. I think they will lose to Dallas and beat Minnesota (we are due for each against those teams), then the points up in the air are Detroit and Winnipeg. I could easily see us going to OT in each, especially Winnipeg. Depending on how OT goes in those games we could end up with 4-6 points. Or we'll lose to a Dallas and Detroit and everyone will talk about the tank and then we'll beat Minnesota and pull out some miracle shootout win in Winnipeg and we'll sit here a week from right now in the exact same spot.

Last edited:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'm hoping for 6 points just to stay in playoff race, but I think 3-4 would be more realistic. :/ Anyway, GO :avs GO!!! It's time to play.. These games are so crucial for us.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Interesting to see how we play Minny.

Also if Picks or Berra gets the nod for Minny or Winny.

Just start Berra against Minny so we can use it as an excuse when they man handle us again.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
We need a GDT maker for the game against the Wild.

TV, as I said in the sign-up thread, I can take the game against the Jets.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Dal: W
Det: W
Min: L
Wpg: OTL

5 points is what I expect. Just enough to stay relevant but not enough to push us over the edge.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I was speculating that DAL is the reason Roy wanted to bring up Elliott. That fast offense would kill our slow D without EJ there to eat most of the minutes.

I'd love to have another good week and continue gaining ground in the playoff race, but my highest goal this week is to just please beat the **** out of the wild...

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I wonder if Roy will go with 6 or 7 D vs Dallas. I doubt he wants to take out Guenin/Holden, but if you're calling up Elliott to play against a fast skating Stars team, why dress 7 defenseman and only play him 8-10 minutes, the majority of which will probably be PP minutes?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Nah, not 0-4. They will probably keep teasing us. 4 points would be just enough to keep it up. I think they will lose to Dallas and beat Minnesota (we are due for each against those teams), then the points up in the air are Detroit and Winnipeg. I could easily see us going to OT in each, especially Winnipeg. Depending on how OT goes in those games we could end up with 4-6 points. Or we'll lose to a Dallas and Detroit and everyone will talk about the tank and then we'll beat Minnesota and pull out some miracle shootout win in Winnipeg and we'll sit here a week from right now in the exact same spot.

I can't see us beating Minnesota the way they've played since acquiring Dubnyk. Heard a crazy stat yesterday: Minnesota has only been outshot 10 times this season. That's crazy. I think, at the very most, we'll end up with 1 win. I hope for more, but I'm not optimistic about this week. Especially death valley Minnesota

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is the week all Avs fans look back on as the real turning point to our season. Building on the impressive game against the leagues top team in Nashville on Friday.

We're going 4-0-0

Easy 5-1 win against Dallas. Hard fought 2-0 win against Detroit. Another hard fought 2-1OT win against Minny, and a 3-1 win the next night against Winnipeg.

Varly starts all 4 games, goes 4-0-0 allowing just 3 goals in that stretch.

member 116861

We usually play well against the Stars and Wings so I'm not too worried about those two teams. Minny will be tough especially when they trap the hell out of us. The joke is on them though, we already can't move the puck so they will be sacrificing offense for something they don't need to do. Winnipeg will be a close game with us losing in OT because we can't handle their physicality.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I can't see us beating Minnesota the way they've played since acquiring Dubnyk. Heard a crazy stat yesterday: Minnesota has only been outshot 10 times this season. That's crazy. I think, at the very most, we'll end up with 1 win. I hope for more, but I'm not optimistic about this week. Especially death valley Minnesota

*11 times.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Leg lift, crop dusting

Haha, maybe that's a superstition he has like touching the goal posts. After every big save, he's got to rip ***. Hejda knows this, that's why he's getting the hell outa there.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
We lose all 4 games in heartbreaking fashion causing us to spiral to the bottom of the standings by the season's end.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Didn't we get some of PP goals last game against Dallas? Like actually more than 1 in a game?

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Also Roy said Elliott will be a scratch tomorrow. Dam I'm getting anxious to see him play.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Also Roy said Elliott will be a scratch tomorrow. Dam I'm getting anxious to see him play.

I read the quote. Lots of "hope" "might" and "maybe." I'm looking for "will" and "definitely". Elliott isn't Ryan Wilson. He needs to play. Maybe not in the most important game of the year, but soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad