Pre-Game Talk: Week to Make it Rain (@MIN, FLA, NAS)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You can name it " Apocalypse now" or " Armageddon".

"Armageddon Begins @TiME" is a nice one lol

"Apocalypse Wild" is good as well haha

"The Colorado vs Mild Crisis" is good too, like "Cuban Missile Crisis" haha

I'm going to need alcohol for that game, can't have a proper melt down without it.

Oh, one more... "Apocalypse Mild" :D

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
"Armageddon Begins @TiME" is a nice one lol

"Apocalypse Wild" is good as well haha

"The Colorado vs Mild Crisis" is good too, like "Cuban Missile Crisis" haha

I'm going to need alcohol for that game, can't have a proper melt down without it.

Oh, one more... "Apocalypse Mild" :D

This board is going to be " gold" tomorrow. I can't see us win, this team has fold everytime it faces pressure. Of course, I would love to be wrong :D

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy was pretty fired up about the game last night, and had a mini Corsi rant that I won't repeat on here. People can listen if they want.

Had nothing but great things to say about Bigras and his play so far.

He said Sakic wasn't going to give up Bigras or Zadorov, as they feel they'll make a big difference in the future. I'm sure Rantanen is in there too, but he was only talking about the D.

I thought it was interesting that he said they told Gelinas that if he makes a mistake, they'll put him back out there and build up his confidence. I'm pretty sure he got benched after his last turnover filled shift last night.

They're hoping Boedker likes it enough that he'll stick around for a while.

AvsFanRCN

Dec 21, 2011
Victoria, BC, Canada
Roy was pretty fired up about the game last night, and had a mini Corsi rant that I won't repeat on here. People can listen if they want.

Had nothing but great things to say about Bigras and his play so far.

He said Sakic wasn't going to give up Bigras or Zadorov, as they feel they'll make a big difference in the future. I'm sure Rantanen is in there too, but he was only talking about the D.

I thought it was interesting that he said they told Gelinas that if he makes a mistake, they'll put him back out there and build up his confidence. I'm pretty sure he got benched after his last turnover filled shift last night.

They're hoping Boedker likes it enough that he'll stick around for a while.

I noticed I didn't see him much in the second half of the 3rd period, but I assumed it was because they just wanted their top defenders out there as much as possible trying to climb back.

Thanks for the write up.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It'll be interesting to see what happens if Pickard plays well. While Varlamov hasn't looked sharp lately, I'm not sure I agree with Roy putting it on him. Lots of bad turnovers, bad backchecks and blown coverages.

Just because Varlamov has bailed out the team in the past you can't expect him to do that every time.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It'll be interesting to see what happens if Pickard plays well. While Varlamov hasn't looked sharp lately, I'm not sure I agree with Roy putting it on him. Lots of bad turnovers, bad backchecks and blown coverages.

Just because Varlamov has bailed out the team in the past you can't expect him to do that every time.
Completely agreed. A goaltending controversy is really the last thing I want to deal with down the stretch.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Thank you!

I've said it a couple of times in the past, for as much as Varly has bailed this team out, he will have games where he's less than superhuman. In those games the team has to look at him and basically say "It's alright, we'll get this one". Needless to say, last night they helped hang him out to dry with the 3 goals in the 1st.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We all trumpet Varly as a top 10 goalie in the NHL. I think most of us truly believe that, myself included. IMO it is okay to expect him to play at a top 10 level. This whole season he has been very inconsistent. He has shown flashes of phenomenal play, but many nights where he leaves much to be desired. The Avs had some breakdowns, but top 10 goalies make saves on some of those. Varly keeps the game a 2-1 in the first, somehow, someway... the Avs probably win the game. Varly has a significant part in the Avs' struggles this season. By no means is it all or even mostly on him, but he has to own a part.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

We all trumpet Varly as a top 10 goalie in the NHL. I think most of us truly believe that, myself included. IMO it is okay to expect him to play at a top 10 level.

Both Varlamov (or Pickard, for that matter) and the Avs are in a tough spot. Varlamov is in a tough spot because no goaltender on earth could consistently perform at a Top 10 goalie level with that team play in front of him. And Colorado is in a tough spot because they cannot win hockey games in any consistent manner unless Varlamov plays like a Top 10 goalie. A rather nasty chicken-egg situation for a rebuilding...er, I mean contending team.

The Avs have consistently played at a playoff level for 7 weeks this season (17-7-2) and far below a playoff bubble position the other 13 weeks (15-22-1). During those 7 weeks, Colorado's goaltenders had a .920 save% or better in 16 of the 17 wins. They had a .940 save% or better in 13 of those 17 wins.

The Avs as a team cannot consistently play well if their goaltenders are not playing out of their minds. The goaltenders cannot consistently play like Top 10 goaltenders with that cruddy team play. This is doomed to fail.

Last edited:

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
I apologize for this and don't want to start any arguments or anything. But this was too funny not to post. I am a firm believer in comedy as a mood booster and we could all use that after last nights loss. Enjoy!

105et6.jpg

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I think it's as ridiculous to throw Varly out the window as it is to throw Picks to the wolves by making him the starter for this incredibly important stretch run. That said, I do think maybe a couple of games in a row for Picks, to give Varly a short breather, wouldn't be bad at all.

I don't think you necessarily do it these next two games (I want to say they're "must wins" but god is that going to be such a cliche the rest of this stretch), but maybe you do, either way I don't think a couple of nights watching from the bench would do Varly any harm and might be a good soft reset after a bit of a tough stretch.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
I'll have the GDT for tomorrows game up a lot sooner than the last game. Set aside a couple hours this afternoon to work on it, and a couple other things.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We all trumpet Varly as a top 10 goalie in the NHL. I think most of us truly believe that, myself included. IMO it is okay to expect him to play at a top 10 level. This whole season he has been very inconsistent. He has shown flashes of phenomenal play, but many nights where he leaves much to be desired. The Avs had some breakdowns, but top 10 goalies make saves on some of those. Varly keeps the game a 2-1 in the first, somehow, someway... the Avs probably win the game. Varly has a significant part in the Avs' struggles this season. By no means is it all or even mostly on him, but he has to own a part.

Have to wonder how much the lawsuit threw him off mentally. He was a rock after getting healthy...until he had to take time off for that.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I think you have to go with the hot goalie whomever that is. If Pickard is hot and Varly is struggling then you go with Pickard for a few games and get Varly back in there after a few games. If Varly plays well, or Pickard plays poorly, then you go with Varly again.

I don't think you throw either goalie under the buss if they play poorly but you have to give the team as a whole the best chance to win and make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad