Pre-Game Talk: Week to Make a Choice (TB, NJ, @CBJ)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
About the NHL being a young man's league, another thing to consider is that if you plan on signing someone to an 8 year deal, it better be after the ELC.

Going forward, i'm not sure i would like to do what we did with EJ, where you commit big money to someone past their early 30's.

He says it's a young man's league a week after he said they like everyone to get development time and go with the Detroit model. So it's kinda like WTF. I think they do want pretty much everyone to see some AHL time but their favorites are going to get a look too.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Why are people talking about Orpik? When EJ's contract ends, he will be the same age as his current partner is now. The same one who is 35 years old and averaging 25 minutes a night, while on pace for a career year offensively.

That is who EJ ideally ages like. Although Beauchemin has proven a lot more durable.

It's funny to try and talk about 8 years down the road. Just an insane amount of things will be different.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Why are people talking about Orpik? When EJ's contract ends, he will be the same age as his current partner is now. The same one who is 35 years old and averaging 25 minutes a night, while on pace for a career year offensively.

That is who EJ ideally ages like. Although Beauchemin has proven a lot more durable.

It's funny to try and talk about 8 years down the road. Just an insane amount of things will be different.

I don't see how you're comparing EJ and Beauchemin. One player is 6'1 208lbs and doesn't rely on his athleticism as much as the guy who is 6'4 232lbs, nor has he had the major knee injuries EJ has had.

The reason I myself brought up Orpik was because his final season in Pittsburgh he was as slow as Guenin, yet transitioning to Washington he's become a lot more mobile and has played better than he did with the Pens.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I don't see how you're comparing EJ and Beauchemin. One player is 6'1 208lbs and doesn't rely on his athleticism as much as the guy who is 6'4 232lbs, nor has he had the major knee injuries EJ has had.

The reason I myself brought up Orpik was because his final season in Pittsburgh he was as slow as Guenin, yet transitioning to Washington he's become a lot more mobile and has played better than he did with the Pens.

And Brooks Orpik is 6'2? I wasn't going of their sizes compared to EJ. I was just saying Beauchemin would ideally be what EJ becomes at 35. Heavy slapshot, decent passer, and has a ton of experience. Not overly quick, but good positionally. And of course strong around the net and on the boards. If EJ's speed goes, it's not like his hands are guaranteed to go. He should still be a more effective player than Orpik.

If your point was about refinding their games after speed issues, then I see what you are saying.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
And Brooks Orpik is 6'2? I wasn't going of their sizes compared to EJ. I was just saying Beauchemin would ideally be what EJ becomes at 35. Heavy slapshot, decent passer, and has a ton of experience. Not overly quick, but good positionally. And of course strong around the net and on the boards. If EJ's speed goes, it's not like his hands are guaranteed to go. He should still be a more effective player than Orpik.

If your point was about refinding their games after speed issues, then I see what you are saying.

It's exactly what I was saying lol

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Well, after looking up a few things on Behind the Net, the short answer appears to be that he's not playing as big/tough a role in Washington. In Pittsburgh he and Martin were the top shutdown guys and played the most minutes of any defender. In Washington it's Carlson and Alzner who do most of the heavy lifting.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, after looking up a few things on Behind the Net, the short answer appears to be that he's not playing as big/tough a role in Washington. In Pittsburgh he and Martin were the top shutdown guys and played the most minutes of any defender. In Washington it's Carlson and Alzner who do most of the heavy lifting.

That may be the case, but the point remains that it's like watching two different players. Watching Brooks Orpik during his last couple of years as a Penguin was just sad. He could hardly move the puck, couldn't skate well and looked like a total liability. In Washington, he looks a lot more mobile and can move the puck way, way better than he did at any point in Pittsburgh.

Who knows, maybe the extra time after practice with Kuznetsov and the Russians is paying off more than we know. But as EJ ages, I wouldn't be opposed one bit if he became this version of Brooks Orpik.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Dan Weiss ‏@DanWeissPBP 3m3 minutes ago Texas, USA
#Avs holding scouting & development meetings this weekend in San Antonio. GM Joe Sakic, Assistant GMs Craig Billington among others in town.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
#Avs holding scouting & development meetings this weekend in San Antonio. GM Joe Sakic, Assistant GMs Craig Billington among others in town.

Sakic: Dean, you here?

Dean: Yeah. What can I do for you Joe?

Sakic: Stop it with the Labrie ****, and start playing Geertsen.

Dean: Well, now I--

Sakic: Yaketty-yak, don't talk back!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Cool. They should bring Rantanen with them on that flight back.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'll see if they do anything unexpected with the lineups.

I like Sakic's involvement with development. GMs don't have to be at that level. He was personally at Compher's game last week and he's been at DU too.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not surprised, teams normally have their winter scouting lists right after Christmas around this time of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad