Pre-Game Talk: Week to Make a Choice (TB, NJ, @CBJ)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
A relatively lighter week considering the gauntlet that was last week but still a scary proposition given this team's tendency to play to their opponent. Not getting 4 points out of this group would not be good. This truly is where this team needs to decide if they are really going to do something with their recent fortunes.

Also, in honor of Duchene scoring his 20th (and 21st) goal of the season I thought it would be fun to do a poll on who else might join him in the 20 goals club.

Finally, there is a practice tomorrow so there might be some news. Some clarity on the defensemen front would be nice. Roy also dropped post game that he was going to give Pickard the Bolts game but felt like since Varly was pulled tonight that counted as his day off.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Roy is gonna ride Varly until his groins explode.

Need 4 points. Columbus is a must-win, even if it's on the road. The other two teams are battling for a playoff spot like us so if we get 1 out of 2 there, or two overtime/shootout losses I'll be fine. Just get that win vs Columbus. Beat the teams you're supposed to beat.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
A relatively lighter week considering the gauntlet that was last week but still a scary proposition given this team's tendency to play to their opponent. Not getting 4 points out of this group would not be good. This truly is where this team needs to decide if they are really going to do something with their recent fortunes.

Also, in honor of Duchene scoring his 20th (and 21st) goal of the season I thought it would be fun to do a poll on who else might join him in the 20 goals club.

Finally, there is a practice tomorrow so there might be some news. Some clarity on the defensemen front would be nice. Roy also dropped post game that he was going to give Pickard the Bolts game but felt like since Varly was pulled tonight that counted as his day off.

Isn't our record terrible vs "worse" teams this season? We seem to only play well vs good teams. Anyway, these are the games we should be getting points. TB is good team though, but NJ and CBJ should be wins..

When was the last time Avalanche played scored 30 goals? Was it Sakic or Hejduk? Duchene has now great chance to make it happen!

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Isn't our record terrible vs "worse" teams this season? We seem to only play well vs good teams. Anyway, these are the games we should be getting points. TB is good team though, but NJ and CBJ should be wins..

When was the last time Avalanche played scored 30 goals? Was it Sakic or Hejduk? Duchene has now great chance to make it happen!

We're something like 2-8-2 against teams below us in the standings, I went and counted it up after the St. Louis game I think. So nothing has changed in that regard.

It was also something like 17-10-1 against teams above us as well.

So yeah generally we play up and down to our competition.

Edit : On the goal front, the top 3 there are a pretty easy bet for 20. MacKinnon could still hit 30 if he gets hot.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
MacK and Iggy.

I wanted to vote for Landy, but I have an eerie feeling he may get shut down early (maybe not by choice) depending on how the next couple months go.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Landeskog is only on pace for 120 hits. Crazy given the amount he would hit in his first few years. It's best that he doesn't play like when he was younger, but I think that number is a pretty telling sign he isn't feeling 100%.

Should be an interesting week. Avs have struggled with the East so far, but just plowed through what is most likely their toughest week of the season. Hopefully they can keep the momentum, and get EJ back.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Colorado is 5th in GF/GP with 2.91, but will likely only have three 20 goal scorers. Impressive. :amazed:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Going to the dollar store to buy tooth picks. Will need them to keep my eyes open when we play New Jersey. Boy how quickly they've gone back to being the most boring team in the league to watch.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Going to the dollar store to buy tooth picks. Will need them to keep my eyes open when we play New Jersey. Boy how quickly they've gone back to being the most boring team in the league to watch.

Could always use tape, less painful that way. Goodness knows it's going to be painful enough watching the Devils.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

There are no "easy" games in the league but as far as a week shapes up playing 3 from the east and the better ones at home they have to get wins here.

Yeah I'm not counting on anyone getting 30. Duchene SHOULD be able to get 9 goals by the end of the year but we've been down this road before.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Colorado is 5th in GF/GP with 2.91, but will likely only have three 20 goal scorers. Impressive. :amazed:
5th in the NHL in GF/GP, and 24th in GA/GP. I know that I'd keep developing the young defensemen we have rather than trying to deal them for a winger. And yes, I realize wing is already a concern moving forward, but I'd rather be weak there than on defense.

It's weird that Tampa has had so much trouble scoring this year, but they've had a lot of injuries to deal with.

Are they really practicing today? Hadn't seen anything on it.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
5th in the NHL in GF/GP, and 24th in GA/GP. I know that I'd keep developing the young defensemen we have rather than trying to deal them for a winger. And yes, I realize wing is already a concern moving forward, but I'd rather be weak there than on defense.

It's weird that Tampa has had so much trouble scoring this year, but they've had a lot of injuries to deal with.

They have *at least* two guys who should be making an NHL impact. Hopefully before the end of this season.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I would have doubted it myself but it was in the Avs game recap from last night. They didn't say a time though.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

The Fourth line as 20 some goals or something if you count McCleod, Skille and Mitchell as the 4th line.

Secondary scoring is certainly higher than I would've predicted.

I gotta type this somewhere but I really think Duchene has finally turned the corner. The fact the Avs could have a 30 goal scorer again is so awesome. He's been a real difference maker ever since he went on that run. The fact he's carrying it on even after he cooled down a bit is big for him.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Barrie 3rd star of the week.

giphy.gif

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Per Chambers--

Mike Chambers ‏@MikeChambers · 3m3 minutes ago
#Avs full-team practice but Ds Johnson & Stuart NOT participating. But Gormley (cleared waivers last week) is. Strange deal. Stay tuned

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think Chambers realizes it isn't that weird. It happens a few times a year when a team puts a player on waivers and keeps them around the NHL club.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It's nothing different, Chambers just doesn't understand how this stuff works.

Apparently Mitchell left the ice early, and Roy didn't have an update before he spoke to the media. Holden didn't practice because of a puck to the ankle but should be fine tomorrow.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy on the radio:

- He told the team last night after the first to try to find a way to win an ugly game, but didn't happen. Last night, right away he knew it would be a tough one and the guys seemed a bit tired. They had a lot of big games. Energy level was very low.
- He'd rather lose 4-0 and say they were awful. They were not in that game last night. Tampa deserves a lot of credit. Yesterday the Avs didn't have their legs.
- The teams the Avs are battling with also lost last night. It's a tough league night after night. The team will be in the gym today.
- After the Chicago game, he thought they had a good start and then came close to tying it, but he thought it would be good to practice the next day. If he had to re-do it, he wouldn't give them the option of getting on the ice in the morning before the game. He should have let them rest.
- Trying to focus on what the Avs have to do and not focus on Nashville or other teams. Have to take care of themselves on and off the ice. They're playing a lot of games, 13 in 24 days. They do a lot of video, try to make adjustments if teams are figuring out what they're doing.
- He was going to pull the goalie last night with 12 minutes left. The team didn't have the energy. When you pull the goalie, it brings some energy. He doesn't want to wait until the end of the game. When you're down 3 goals, why give up? If he gives up, what message is he sending? He didn't go into the locker room after 2nd period, he knows that they know they weren't playing well. He does what he thinks is the right thing to do.
- Barrie is playing well. When he's on his game, he's very solid at both ends. When he starts to feel a bit tired, his defensive side suffers, and last night's first goal was an example. Offensively, he's always a threat, he's fun to watch, and scored a big one against Nashville.

More after break. Kind of weak so far.

- Joe would be best to answer, but defensemen are hard to get. If Joe would have called Poile about Seth Jones, I'm sure he would have been told what it would take. That's all he can say. Nashville has a good defense and thought they could let Jones go to get a #1 center. It's difficult to answer if Jones is a #1 because he was playing behind guys. Now we'll see.
- He knows Guenin has been criticized a lot, and has more criticism against him than # of passes than he makes, but he's a good pro. They see him as a 6/7/8 defenseman for them. Right now, he's just in the wrong chair. Every night, it's a bit of a challenge. Not having EJ in the lineup creates a big hole. He says he knows Guenin's corsi is bad. He said the Avs stat people in the building are god awful. Night after night they have a hard time keeping up with the shot attempts.
- Roy going on a Corsi rant. Don't really want to go into this because I'm sure it will blow up.
- Of course they're now asking Roy about playing goalie. He told Varly that his job is safe after Roy got on the ice.

Terrible interview. Dumb questions again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2