cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Landeskog-Soderberg-Rantanen
Boedker-Grigorenko-Iginla
Matthias-Mitchell-Comeau
McLeod-Skille-Martinsen

I'd rather put Boedker on the Soderberg line with Landy/Mikko/Matthias playing on the Greg-Iggy line. Boedker-Greg is just way to physically soft to have on the same line.

Landeskog* - Soderberg - Boeds
Rantanen* - Grigorenko - Iginla
Martinsen - Matthias* - Como*
Highlander - Mitchell - Skille

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think they'll put Rantanen right in the fire but I pray he's not just going to center the 4th line, not sure they even have that luxury right now though. Mitchell is probably still going to play up, maybe Rantanen will be on that 3rd line.

Landy-Soderberg-Boedker
Grigo-Mitchell-Iginla
Comeau-Rantanen-Matthias
McLeod-Skille-Martinsen

That Mitchell line was good last night, not sure I see Roy breaking it up. Not too happy with the above though, not sure how they get around it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'd be surprised if Roy completely changed the lines. We might even see them just slide Rantanen into MacKinnon's center spot if he can't go.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think they'll put Rantanen right in the fire but I pray he's not just going to center the 4th line, not sure they even have that luxury right now though. Mitchell is probably still going to play up, maybe Rantanen will be on that 3rd line.

Landy-Soderberg-Boedker
Grigo-Mitchell-Iginla
Comeau-Rantanen-Matthias
McLeod-Skille-Martinsen

That Mitchell line was good last night, not sure I see Roy breaking it up. Not too happy with the above though, not sure how they get around it.

That seems the more likely lineup...but I'm still going to hope that we see something along the lines of what I suggested above instead.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I just...I can't...I mean...

:biglaugh:

So Mike, it's too much for you to work whatever sources you may have and even just attempt to find out about the severity of MacKinnon's injury?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Mike Chambers,

giphy.gif

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
In all fairness this time I think we should blame Denver Post bosses instead of chambers or Frei. I think people who run DP are just clueless and are only interested about cost instead of giving readers first hand and first quality news.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Landeskog-Soderberg-Rantanen
Boedker-Grigorenko-Iginla
Matthias-Mitchell-Comeau
McLeod-Skille-Martinsen

This.

Rantanen is a natural winger first, and a Right Winger second. He needs to play on the RW in this stint because he should be playing at his natural and most comfortable position.

He shouldn't even be on LW as others have proposed, and definitely not centering a line as TV proposed. Your argument for not putting him on the top two lines (the fire as you say) is fine but he should not be centering a line, he should be at wing at the very least.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
In all fairness this time I think we should blame Denver Post bosses instead of chambers or Frei. I think people who run DP are just clueless and are only interested about cost instead of giving readers first hand and first quality news.

The lazy turds just need to do their job regardless of where they are.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Landy-Soderberg-Boedker
Grigo-Mitchell-Iginla
Comeau-Rantanen-Matthias
McLeod-Skille-Martinsen

This is what I was personally thinking. If they're actually trying to develop Rantanen at center, then they'll likely start him with two tough experienced guys who Roy trusts defensively. I also doubt Roy will expect much in the way of offense from him.

Especially if Greg and Mitchell's line is not broken up.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This.

Rantanen is a natural winger first, and a Right Winger second. He needs to play on the RW in this stint because he should be playing at his natural and most comfortable position.

He shouldn't even be on LW as others have proposed, and definitely not centering a line as TV proposed. Your argument for not putting him on the top two lines (the fire as you say) is fine but he should not be centering a line, he should be at wing at the very least.

He should but we only have 3 centers basically and he's been playing center for a while. I'm just saying I could see them do it.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking Cobra

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
This is what I was personally thinking. If they're actually trying to develop Rantanen at center, then they'll likely start him with two tough experienced guys who Roy trusts defensively. I also doubt Roy will expect much in the way of offense from him.

Especially if Greg and Mitchell's line is not broken up.

Why would they be trying to develop rants at center when his natural position is the position of need? So that he can flip to either at any time? I think that would be a mistake and actually hinder his development. Not every winger needs to be able to play center too. If he is playing center in San Antonio fine but here he should be playing wing imo

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Why would they be trying to develop rants at center when his natural position is the position of need? So that he can flip to either at any time? I think that would be a mistake and actually hinder his development. Not every winger needs to be able to play center too. If he is playing center in San Antonio fine but here he should be playing wing imo

That's fine to have that opinion, but if they see potential at center in him with his defensive acumen combined with the fact that hes played center before being drafted as well, they'll likely continue to explore that.

Like I've said, a big center with a strong two way game is something that's very highly coveted.

How much and when hes played center has been discussed a good bit in his thread. It was actually his natural position before his draft year I believe. I'm not sure it's fair to say that wing is even his natural position.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
That's fine to have that opinion, but if they see potential at center in him with his defensive acumen combined with the fact that hes played center before being drafted as well, they'll likely continue to explore that.

Like I've said, a big center with a strong two way game is something that's very highly coveted.

How much and when hes played center has been discussed a good bit in his thread. It was actually his natural position before his draft year I believe. I'm not sure it's fair to say that wing is even his natural position.

Interesting I suppose I am more uneducated on Rantanen then I thought.

I still feel he needs to play wing long term. Pretty funny that one of the main arguments against Boedker was that, albeit our second biggest position of need, we had that winger sitting in SA rotting. And now it seems that argument doesn't necessarily hold weight either if the Avs would rather him play center.

I just feel fairly strongly about constantly switching these guys. An argument can be made that Duchenes development was hindered at times because of it and the same argument can be made now on Mackinnon. Constantly switching back and forth. Now we are doing the same thing with Grigs and Rants?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Like a BOSS, Adrian Dater doing what he can to update us (while having the flu, to boot), instead of making excuses about not being on the trip like some other hack journalist:

Adrian Dater ‏@adater · 30s31 seconds ago
Per sources: Extent of Nathan MacKinnon injury won't be known til Monday back in Denver.

I believe I have a reasonably good idea who his sources are--or at least one of them (and no, I won't share)....so at this point I would think we're not finding anything out until then...but, who knows, the Avs have played it secretive in the past when it comes to injuries and there might be some news tomorrow after the morning skate

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He obviously needs an MRI, I guess he could have had one today but back home makes sense too. The team might even take Monday off, though hard to tell if they took today or Thursday off instead. I think they'll tell us when they know to a certain extent, either team saying it or Roy on Tuesday.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I still feel he needs to play wing long term. Pretty funny that one of the main arguments against Boedker was that, albeit our second biggest position of need, we had that winger sitting in SA rotting. And now it seems that argument doesn't necessarily hold weight either if the Avs would rather him play center.

I just feel fairly strongly about constantly switching these guys. An argument can be made that Duchenes development was hindered at times because of it and the same argument can be made now on Mackinnon. Constantly switching back and forth. Now we are doing the same thing with Grigs and Rants?

I think Roy tried to keep Greg at center in order to see if he could be that big two way guy, but he does not use his body as well as Mikko does.

Then you go back to their strong interest in Barkov, and you look at the Cup teams. Every single one has had a guy that has a very strong two way game but contributes offensively as well.

I'm just saying there are signs that they're searching for the real O'Reilly replacement. I'm sure they know they have a limited amount of time that they'll get out of Soderberg in this role as well.

Edit : I can't really blame them either, because MacKinnon has not shown that defense is going to be a quick learning curve for him.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I think the Avs want versatility just like how they can have two guys take draws on a line. I don't know why Rantanen has been playing center but the coach flat out said the other day Colorado wanted him at center the rest of the season. I do think he looks best at RW and agree the best thing for him is to be comfortable at the NHL level but he's been playing center so he's used to that, now our two best centers went down. Who could have predicted that? We have to make due with whoever can play the position, I'm not even sure they could play 4 centers if he doesn't.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I think the Avs want versatility just like how they can have two guys take draws on a line. I don't know why Rantanen has been playing center but the coach flat out said the other day Colorado wanted him at center the rest of the season. I do think he looks best at RW and agree the best thing for him is to be comfortable at the NHL level but he's been playing center so he's used to that, now our two best centers went down. Who could have predicted that? We have to make due with whoever can play the position, I'm not even sure they could play 4 centers if he doesn't.

Surely Skille can center a forth line. Veteran who has been playing well. I still think that line combination before makes the most sense. Guess we will see

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Especially with how dynamic Duchene was at RW. If Mikko's comfortable moving back to Center at this level and can thrive at that position then that opens some really interesting options for us. It's worth a look at least.

Are you referring to that brief stint under Sacco? Cause prior to this season, Matt has been at Center for almost his entire avs career.

We have Soda & Malkin. We have Greg. Matthias sucks on draws, but has played center and in the past said he preferred to play there; if with Comeau and Iggy being able to take draws, he could be an option. Then there's just running a "center-less" 4th line.

I think you're probably right about Mikko, but there are options at C if they want to ease Mikko in.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Dater saying it's likely a MCL injury to Mack.

And I would venture to guess that's the belief (right now) from his sources in the Avs...

He just updated and said slight chance MacKinnon could get diagnosis tomorrow, but the knee is still swollen so it is likely to be Monday.

If the knee is still swollen, I don't see how that's not bad news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad