Pre-Game Talk: Week to Find a Road Win (@CHI, @CBJ, ARZ)

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Probably going to try easing Andrighetto in. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to swap he and Compher. JTC has sucked for the last three months, save for the odd game. He's belonged on the 4th line for quite some time and now that we're getting healthy, he's going to need to earn his place in that top-9.
True hes been awful since returning. Even on the defensive side hes been bad at times. God forbid we have all out kids playing good hockey at the same time. When Jost isn't going Compher is and vice versa.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
10/37/22 were good together before everyone got hurt. That would be a good 4th line. Problem is, you probably can't put Kamenev on the 2nd line from jump, and I doubt Bourque gets scratched the way he's played this year.

Good problems to have, though.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Was browsing stats and decided to filter for 2013 draftees. Had no idea Andrighetto is from the same draft as MacKinnon.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
If we want to make the playoffs, we need 6 points here. No excuses. Possible but will be tough. I have a bad feeling that they lose in Chicago and win the other two.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
In his presser Bednar said that Kamenev is not cleared to play yet but he sticks with the team to get some practices with the rest of the group. Probably some bounding thing to make him feel that he's a part of the team. i think as soon as he clears he will go to SA for a few games to get his "mojo" back.

Spencer has been reassigned so Bernie backs up Varly at Chicago.

Doesn't make sense. He was a full participant in a couple of practices, heck even took regular line rushes. This would be a crazy thing to do for somebody who's not cleared to play. Plus, several journalists reported that Kamenev is cleared to play.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Bednar didn't sound like Ghetto would be back tomorrow. He also said "I hope so" before saying "I think so" with EJ. It's still a ways off. He goes into detail about how difficult it is to put a guy back in after they've missed an extended period of time.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah he didn't sound too sure but I also wonder if they've entered the complete bs phase of the season when giving out roster updates

As far as Kamenev, cleared for contact is not the same as cleared to play.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That attitude is a big reason teams have issues drafting Russians. I totally get it from his perspective and don't blame him for going back... but the taking my ball and going home when you're just a fringe player attitude will defer many NHL teams away from those sorts.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I can see why he wasn't happy with the organization based on what he was very likely "promised" in exchange for coming to North America. It's got to suck not knowing the language or culture, living on your own in a hotel and not playing for the team you thought you'd be playing for.

That said, he's not good. Not good at all.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is just a bit of a difference in culture I think. He was very likely told that the Avs wanted him in the NHL and wanted him to play regularly... but plans and things change. In Russia, I think they are more direct and more rigid in their planning (any Russians on here correct me on that, if I am at all off base). In NA we tend to be more flexible and willing to adapt and change if things are not working. It is really an expectation on society as a whole.

Very little in the NHL is given to a player. Even if they are given a spot, they have to continue to earn it. The Avs have to try to put the best team on the ice that they possibly can, and with Mironov in the lineup... they couldn't do that. They tried to let him adjust to the NA game. They gave him a chance to get better in the AHL and he sulked about it instead. I really get it from his perspective. It would suck for him to not be in the NHL. It would be hard adjusting going back and forth a lot... but fleeing when things are not going your way is the exact stigma teams are worried about with Russians.

All that said, I think Mironov will do well going back to Russia. He's a solid big ice player and can make a good living over there playing. It is the right move for him to go back.

Reactions: McMetal

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I can see why he wasn't happy with the organization based on what he was very likely "promised" in exchange for coming to North America. It's got to suck not knowing the language or culture, living on your own in a hotel and not playing for the team you thought you'd be playing for.

That said, he's not good. Not good at all.
I never understood this. I could understand if a player never had any intentions in coming to NA and then suddenly he changes his mind and come over. However listening to past interviews from him his intentions were to come over once his contract in Russia was over so knowing that it blows my mind that he didn't learn at least some basic English to put himself in a better position to succeed. He is not the only one doing this as well. The transition to NA culture and hockey style are hard enough without putting more pressure on yourself by not knowing enough of the language to get by on and off the ice.

Reactions: klozge

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I never understood this. I could understand if a player never had any intentions in coming to NA and then suddenly he changes his mind and come over. However listening to past interviews from him his intentions were to come over once his contract in Russia was over so knowing that it blows my mind that he didn't learn at least some basic English to put himself in a better position to succeed. He is not the only one doing this as well. The transition to NA culture and hockey style are hard enough without putting more pressure on yourself by not knowing enough of the language to get by on and off the ice.
It's not as easy as you make it seem. He's lived his entire life in Russia without a real need for English, so why would he even bother attempting to learn it? It's not as if he decided when he was a teen that he'll play a few years in the KHL and then make the switch to the NHL so he can prepare himself by learning the language.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He knows English, he writes in English on social media. To what extent he can communicate idk but it's not like he's devoid of it entirely.

The issue is you aren't bringing a kid over but he was someone with 5 years KHL experience. The AHL is for development, it wasn't going to be a solution after it was more than just a few weeks of getting up to speed was needed. There's a difference between say bringing Shvy over who is at the appropriate development age for it and someone who is only coming over for the NHL. I get it is tough to promise that but it's what the NHL club is banking on when they bring him. It's more similar to when Rendulic, Martinsen and Everberg were brought over. Older European pros either are good enough to stick in the NHL or they should go back home.

Reactions: McMetal

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It's not as easy as you make it seem. He's lived his entire life in Russia without a real need for English, so why would he even bother attempting to learn it? It's not as if he decided when he was a teen that he'll play a few years in the KHL and then make the switch to the NHL so he can prepare himself by learning the language.
Once he got drafted he had two years to learn enough English to make it a lot easier on himself. He knew then that he wanted to give the NHL a try so prepare yourself for it. I'm not saying to learn it to be fluent.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He knows English, he writes in English on social media. To what extent he can communicate idk but it's not like he's devoid of it entirely.

The issue is you aren't bringing a kid over but he was someone with 5 years KHL experience. The AHL is for development, it wasn't going to be a solution after it was more than just a few weeks of getting up to speed was needed. There's a difference between say bringing Shvy over who is at the appropriate development age for it and someone who is only coming over for the NHL. I get it is tough to promise that but it's what the NHL club is banking on when they bring him. It's more similar to when Rendulic, Martinsen and Everberg were brought over. Older European pros either are good enough to stick in the NHL or they should go back home.

While I agree with the basic sentiment... but Mironov was only 23. Most 23 year olds can still use some development even if they have played pro, especially later round European projects like Mironov. Should Yanne Gourde have gone overseas in 2015 because he was 24 and hadn't cracked the NHL? Nyqvist at 24 before he was established? Or Gustafsson with Chicago who just recently got his full time NHL deal at 25? Every situation is different, but at 23... it should be okay to spend a year in the AHL to get used to the NA game. If the next season it looks like it isn't going to work out (and in Mironov's case it very likely wasn't going to), then move on. Even a player like Soshnikov gave nearly a full season in the AHL and the next year was mixed before he really made a demand (even then he was patient and waited for a trade).

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Remember folks it's not just a different language, it's a different alphabet too. I can still read Cyrillic from the few Russian courses I took but I only remember a handful of words/phrases. Plus, it's not like Sweden where they're taught English in school at a very young age.

If he had stuck around I'm sure his English would've improved. Alexander Mogilny used to joke about how bad his English was when he first started. And hey, Evgeni Malkin has been an NHL mainstay for roughly a decade and his English is barely passable. :laugh: Doesn't seem like that was a huge barrier either way. He just wasn't good enough.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
There is a thing called “Russian factor”, it’s the way how Russian players are treated in North America. I’ve felt it on my own skin.
-Andrei Mironov

Definitely found that quote interesting. Seems like they have their own definition of "Russian factor".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad