Pre-Game Talk: Week Of The Terrifying Giant Bunny (and some other importance) | vs PHI ; vs MIN

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I understand the wanting to know, but those types of questions don't really go anywhere and possibly turn the organization off that media outlet. I don't really see what it accomplishes other than the basis for an article about not calling up Zadorov.

A better question that may get a more insightful response would be, Bodnarchuk has been only playing a handful of minutes the last couple games and with Gelinas out, what is the plan for the 6th defensemen for these last 9 games?
I don't know how he plans to word it or not but it could easily be how you said.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know how he plans to word it or not but it could easily be how you said.

I hope it is for their sake. A straight up question about calling Zadorov up is likely to get nowhere and just irritate the organization since they will perceive it to be the basis for a critical article. Not that there isn't justification for the article, but seeking it out that way tends to burn more bridges than it creates.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I hope it is for their sake. A straight up question about calling Zadorov up is likely to get nowhere and just irritate the organization since they will perceive it to be the basis for a critical article. Not that there isn't justification for the article, but seeking it out that way tends to burn more bridges than it creates.
I think you're reading way too much into it. AJ has asked about specific players in the past and not written articles about it, nor gotten any negative feedback or anything. The DP has asked about calling up Rantanen before too, so I don't think it's a big deal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think you're reading way too much into it. AJ has asked about specific players in the past and not written articles about it, nor gotten any negative feedback or anything. The DP has asked about calling up Rantanen before too, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Yet, some things were told to media about what not to ask on Rantanen.

And the Post's relationship is SOOOO good with the Avs. The Avs trust Dater far more than Chambers or Frei... and that is for a reason.

In other words, BSN needs to build the relationship with the Avs and earn the trust. Asking questions that can be perceived as the basis for click bait isn't going to help that cause in any manner. It also may not hurt. Asking a question in a manner that is trying to get the organization's answer to an obvious problem shows that they are trying to be journalists without going straight for the click bait.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Alright then, forget that I mentioned it. I highly doubt it's a big deal to ask if they're considering calling him up since Gelinas is out and he can provide something similar.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think BSN are ever going to have a reputation from NHL management as a legit media source. They're a group of fans who have worked hard to try and bring some extra media attention that the fans have drastically missed out on in the past and will likely always look like that to Avs management. It's actually pretty cool of them to do that and I don't think they need to worry about damaging their reputation with some legit questions. If they were asking ridiculous questions that would be different but they have actually handled some of their hands on media very professionally from what I've seen which is beyond what would be expected for this type of group. If they'd **** off with the "won the trade" crap I'd like them even more.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Well, there we go. MacK and Dutchy to miss at least next two games and are week-to-week.

That really sucks for our stretch run. My guess is they see how we do and if it is close or we start losing then they may try to force one or both back before they are 100%, depending on what the situation is. It sounds like sprains but who knows.

A definite no for Zads being called up, for what that's worth.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We have a truly awful looking hockey team right now. We need Varly to be Varly and everyone else to play at a level we didn't know existed to go along with some luck in order to see playoff hockey this year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think BSN are ever going to have a reputation from NHL management as a legit media source. They're a group of fans who have worked hard to try and bring some extra media attention that the fans have drastically missed out on in the past and will likely always look like that to Avs management. It's actually pretty cool of them to do that and I don't think they need to worry about damaging their reputation with some legit questions. If they were asking ridiculous questions that would be different but they have actually handled some of their hands on media very professionally from what I've seen which is beyond what would be expected for this type of group. If they'd **** off with the "won the trade" crap I'd like them even more.

This is a totally fair point.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
They are two of our best players but taking two guys out shouldn't be the difference between the the one everyone believed in and awful.

When you take away our two best players it's the difference in being a playoff bubble team and being an awful team IMO.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

Loyalty? What option do the players have? They're contracted by the team. Bodnarchuk hasn't even been on the team 3 months, and the Avs waived Redmond earlier this year. And how loyal is Roy going to be when they make a mistake, and he staples them to the bench again?

I'm sure Roy is just trying to protect them, but that answer is bizarre.

It would have been nice to know what Gelinas' injury was. I'm sure he's out for the year, but just to know what happened to him exactly. I don't know much about elbow injuries and their time frame.

Last edited:

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
The "loyalty" answer to me just seems like some cheap words because there's really nothing else to say - I mean what else are they going to do? They were clear that Zadorov wouldn't be coming up which is the only legitimate other option, so if that's out then there's basically nothing but he can't get up there any say nothing.

It would be a breath of fresh air for him to give an honest answer regardless of how crappy the optics of that answer are, but that doesn't happen often in pro sports.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I was really fired up at that loyalty answer but I guess it's possible that Roy was just really caught off guard with the Zadorov question and didn't really know what to say and started piecing words together like he often does. I hope that's the case anyway because the loyalty answer is pretty dumb.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The "loyalty" answer to me just seems like some cheap words because there's really nothing else to say - I mean what else are they going to do? They were clear that Zadorov wouldn't be coming up which is the only legitimate other option, so if that's out then there's basically nothing but he can't get up there any say nothing.

It would be a breath of fresh air for him to give an honest answer regardless of how crappy the optics of that answer are, but that doesn't happen often in pro sports.
It's just confusing when, on one hand, they're saying they're going for the playoffs, that they have to make the playoffs, and they trade for a few rentals at the deadline to help them, then on another hand, he's going to be loyal to guys he clearly doesn't have faith in.

Every time these guys screw up, he benches them. What loyalty?

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Minnesota is scratching Thomas Vanek in the middle of a playoff run. Sometimes it shouldn't matter.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i think this proves that roy hates zadorov.

roy didn't want to trade ROR... zadorov was the main piece.. so he directs his hate and frustration at him.

it all makes sense.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I'm with you, if you're going to make all this noise about going for it, then you should be willing make tough decisions that you might be loathe to make if it's the best option to win, which bringing up Zadorov is. I don't know what their rational is - my best guess being they don't want to bring him up to play very limited minutes and mess with his development in SA where he's a minutes eater, but regardless whatever the thinking is I think it's the wrong decision.

I'm just not surprised that they're not willing to be honest in their reasoning publicly, as nice as it would be to see some transparency there.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm just not surprised that they're not willing to be honest in their reasoning publicly, as nice as it would be to see some transparency there.
Oh I'm sure he's just protecting them in public, but when he benches them the first mistake they make, everyone already knows how he feels.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They're going to be even more vague about injuries this time of year so anything could be possible. It could really be "week to week" and they're going to see where they're after the weekend or they might already know they're out 4 weeks or so. Who knows.

I guess one positive is that it doesn't sound like anything too serious for MacKinnon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad