Pre-Game Talk: Week of the Double Double (ARIx2, VGKx2)

What’s a double double?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just looking at some Nichushkin numbers because why not?

Last year: On pace for 17 goals and 34 points over 82 games. 56% CF% (2nd on Avs) and 59% xG% (3rd on Avs).

This year: On pace for 18 goals and 37 points over 82 games. 63% CF% (3rd on Avs) and 63% xG% (4th on Avs).

Very similar years and that's after his quiet start to this season. Once again a monster on the puck and has done a good job of limiting high danger chances on the PK as well.

The third line as a whole has been really good recently and could be a lot better with an upgrade at 3C between Nichushkin and Donskoi.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

Last year: On pace for 17 goals and 34 points over 82 games. 56% CF% (2nd on Avs) and 59% xG% (3rd on Avs).

This year: On pace for 18 goals and 37 points over 82 games. 63% CF% (3rd on Avs) and 63% xG% (4th on Avs).

Very similar years and that's after his quiet start to this season. Once again a monster on the puck and has done a good job of limiting high danger chances on the PK as well.

The third line as a whole has been really good recently and could be a lot better with an upgrade at 3C between Nichushkin and Donskoi.

I'm convinced the answer is Jarnkrok. He can be traded for cheaply and 3a/3b with Jost.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

He’s been awesome recently. 10 points in his last 11 games and wrapping guys up on the boards like an octopus.

His motor to go along with his wingspan make it really difficult for opposing offences.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Surprised they wouldn't want to showcase Timmins at the NHL level

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Surprised they wouldn't want to showcase Timmins at the NHL level
I don't think they'd trade him regardless. They invested in that kid when he missed that whole year...they kept him in Colorado and stuff.

His value is probably super low right now + we'll probably need a cheap RHD for the next couple of years anyway.

If there's a prospect on the table to be part of a package deal my guess is it's Kaut. Not that his value is high but they seem to have no faith in him.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Timmins is excellent trade bait. Probably an NHL defenseman, with size, ELC, expansion draft exempt. That has value if you combine him some other pieces. There’s just no room for him in Colorado.

Reactions: Mighty Makar

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If they keep it up those Matthews (is now better) vs Mack and Rants vs Marner (Marner not close) polls will be funny as they're looking right now.

Those guys are close to one another, but the Nylander > than Rantanen stuff I saw over there was absurd.

Reactions: Spilot23

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Timmins is excellent trade bait. Probably an NHL defenseman, with size, ELC, expansion draft exempt. That has value if you combine him some other pieces. There’s just no room for him in Colorado.

Excellent? I wouldn't go that far. Extraordinarily injury prone, a very bad history with concussions, and still hasn't established himself as a viable NHL defenseman. No, he's not "excellent" trade bait by any means. If nothing else he's a throw-in as part of a larger deal. I imagine the Avs at this point probably think it's better to just hold onto him as cheap depth for the time being and hope perhaps he finally sticks in the lineup at some point.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
I don't see the Avs trading Timmins until after the expansion draft. They like having his depth in case Graves (or another D) gets selected by Seattle. If Seattle takes a forward, then I could see Timmins as part of a trade. I do think the Avs believe in Timmins, and they aren't looking to trade unless something comes along and makes sense for the organization.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
16 Stats: Tim Peel the scapegoat, Colorado's three elite D, Buffalo's epic streak

Makar is exiting the zone with possession on 71 percent of his attempts this season according to data tracked by Corey Sznajder. The next best defenceman, Roman Josi, is at 59 percent. That’s simply absurd and probably helps explain why the team is so good with him on the ice. That he’s that elite in transition and that involved in the offensive zone gives the Avalanche a crucial weapon from the back-end. Interestingly, both Girard and Toews are actually more involved in the offensive zone with 24.1 and 21.1 shot contributions per 60 (shots plus primary shot assists). Makar is at 21.0. There are only 10 defenders in the league above that mark and three are on Colorado. It ain’t fair.

It’s the defense that’s going to get us there, huh

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
16 Stats: Tim Peel the scapegoat, Colorado's three elite D, Buffalo's epic streak

Makar is exiting the zone with possession on 71 percent of his attempts this season according to data tracked by Corey Sznajder. The next best defenceman, Roman Josi, is at 59 percent. That’s simply absurd and probably helps explain why the team is so good with him on the ice. That he’s that elite in transition and that involved in the offensive zone gives the Avalanche a crucial weapon from the back-end. Interestingly, both Girard and Toews are actually more involved in the offensive zone with 24.1 and 21.1 shot contributions per 60 (shots plus primary shot assists). Makar is at 21.0. There are only 10 defenders in the league above that mark and three are on Colorado. It ain’t fair.

It’s the defense that’s going to get us there, huh
The funniest part about that is that the three Dmen they are referring to doesn't even include Byram who's going to be an absolute stud a year or two down the line. He's still only 19 :laugh:

Reactions: Ararana and Avs91

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
The Avs are 7-2-1 vs Vegas in their last 10 meetings, with an average game score of 3.4 - 2.0. That is thrown off some by two shut outs MAF has this season. In fact, I would argue he's the only reason this series has been close this year.

Vegas has scored 3 goals in 4 of those 10 games, and topped 3 in regulation exactly 0 times. The Avs have scored 3 goals in 8 of those 10, and topped 3 in regulation 4 times.

Who is the team that needs to adjust their roster to compete with the other in a 7 game series again?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The Avs are 7-2-1 vs Vegas in their last 10 meetings, with an average game score of 3.4 - 2.0. That is thrown off some by two shut outs MAF has this season. In fact, I would argue he's the only reason this series has been close this year.

Vegas has scored 3 goals in 4 of those 10 games, and topped 3 in regulation exactly 0 times. The Avs have scored 3 goals in 8 of those 10, and topped 3 in regulation 4 times.

Who is the team that needs to adjust their roster to compete with the other in a 7 game series again?

Exactly.

Vegas actually likes to play an uptempo game like Colorado, the problem is they’re just not as good at it.

I’m not saying the Avs are definitely going to beat them in the playoffs, but the results should be encouraging.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
The funniest part about that is that the three Dmen they are referring to doesn't even include Byram who's going to be an absolute stud a year or two down the line. He's still only 19 :laugh:

If Byram nears his potential before Toews walks the Avs could potentially be icing four top pairing defensemen

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If Byram nears his potential before Toews walks the Avs could potentially be icing four top pairing defensemen

NOV19-We-Are-Laughing-Eyman.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2