Pre-Game Talk: Week of the 12th Anniversary of the Valentine’s Day Massacre (TB, @Min, @STL, EDM)

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
- Brad Hunt clears waivers
- Manson returning?
- Makar a possibility either Tuesday or Wednesday

On Feb 14th, 2011 Peter Forsberg announced his retirement after attempting a 2 game comeback (2 assists and -2). That evening the Avs got thumped by the Calgary Flames 9-1 in what is known as the Valentine’s Day massacre for long time Avs fans.

This has been another episode of Colorado Avalanche Memory Lane.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
0-4

- Manson returning?

On Feb 14th, 2011 Peter Forsberg announced his retirement after attempting a 2 game comeback (2 assists and -2). That evening the Avs got thumped by the Calgary Flames 9-1 in what is known as the Valentine’s Day massacre for long time Avs fans.

I remember being so bummed out sitting at Red Robin that I will never see Foppa play again.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
- Manson returning?

I bought tickets to that game hoping to see Foppa return to glory and instead was treated to the single worst live sporting event of my life. I'll never forget it.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I don't mind the massacre. In the end we got an unforgettable experience. A random regular season win wouldn't have been anything special.

The highs and lows are the best. Everything else mostly gets lost in time.

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
I don't mind the massacre. In the end we got an unforgettable experience. A random regular season win wouldn't have been anything special.

The highs and lows are the best. Everything else mostly gets lost in time.
I minded. I very much did lol. Would rather an forgettable loss.. That one still stings lol

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I remember being so excited Foppa was back and as quickly as he came back it was over. What a bummer of a year. Just dreaming about what could have been had he been able to play a full career always makes me sad.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I like Frankie and he has the perfect personality for a backup in the NHL, but him being more fragile than a blown glass sculpture is a problem. He already makes $2m, which is a bit high... but considering you have to call JoJo or random other goalie up for ~300-500k a year against the cap he's significantly even more costly than his cap hit.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I like Frankie and he has the perfect personality for a backup in the NHL, but him being more fragile than a blown glass sculpture is a problem. He already makes $2m, which is a bit high... but considering you have to call JoJo or random other goalie up for ~300-500k a year against the cap he's significantly even more costly than his cap hit.
Multiple non-contacts this season alone. Not great

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm sure some folks said Feb is easier on the schedule. This is easy?
It gets easy in March... March 7th-31st Avs play just the teams (out of 13 games) that are in playoff spots. Even the run into April isn't that bad. They face the Stars on the first, but just them and LA until the final 3 games. The final 3 games are against Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Nashville where all 3 might need to beat the Avs for seeding purposes.

Reactions: RECKLESS

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Pick up Spencer Martin on waivers. Throw Frank away

• Wow
Reactions: Gruyeriev

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This team is constantly playing guys like MacDermid, Hunt, Englund on defense and we’re wondering why the Avs haven’t been good. Now they gonna go into this back to back against Tampa and Minnesota without Francouz and EJ is now out. Unless Georgiev goes god mode in both this games, they’re not winning either one. I’m pretty sure they won’t play JoJo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad