Pre-Game Talk: Week of Sunshine...not with Rainbows (@FLA, @TB, @CAR, SJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
ArWKo; the defensemen have to pass the puck between them a bunch of times because the forwards are in the middle of the neutral zone.

No team in the NHL has bigger gaps in their breakouts between the Fs and Ds like we do. The D have three choices; pass it between them until a forward comes down deep, back peddle to gain time, or hammer it out of the zone. We usually opt for #3.

Yes, our D generally suck at moving the puck, but they have an incredibly hard task when our forwards are 30 feet away from them. The other team always has two forecheckers with active sticks and pivots taking away those lanes, yet we still think we're going to breakout like we do in a practice. It's kiddy stuff. We need the center deep, available for those five foot passes between the D. We need the first winger barely outside of our zone, making himself available for the second pass and acting as a pivot for the breakout, meaning he can send it back to the D, go back to the center feeding him, or hit his other winger. That's using multiple speeds in your breakout to increase efficiency and improves your chances of success.

Watch our game tonight and make note of where our forwards are when we try to break out.

Edit: Hate him all you want, but John Mitchell does this effectively on every shift. Perhaps that's also why his line usually isn't pinned deep trying to get it out.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd like to see Roy shorten the bench tonight if we have a lead going into the 3rd or at some point in the 3rd. Get the big guns out there as much as possible and let them know that "this is your game to finish off" i.e. MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, EJ, Beauchemin, Barrie etc. See if they can take a small step towards taking a big leap in progression if possible tonight.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd like to see Roy shorten the bench tonight if we have a lead going into the 3rd or at some point in the 3rd. Get the big guns out there as much as possible and let them know that "this is your game to finish off" i.e. MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, EJ, Beauchemin, Barrie etc. See if they can take a small step towards taking a big leap in progression if possible tonight.

Don't they pretty much do this and everyone hates it becuase guys like Grigo don't see the ice? I know you probably mean no Mitchell, McLeod, etc.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
I'm glad that Roy is a lot more patient with our youth than our fanbase. I'd rather err on the side of caution and let Greg/Gormley/Bigras/Mikko and even Zads over-rippen so that they are really ready for bigger roles when they get them; and seeing Patrick taking that approach in a year where we're trying to blood so much young talent is really refreshing and has made me a lot more confident in this team's future than I was when we broke camp.

People are trying to rake Roy over the coals right now. While he isn't a perfect coach and certainly wasn't my preferred candidate summer '13, I agree with you 100%. The slow start is frustrating, and lack of consistency from guys like Varly, Landy, Tangs, EJ, etc. is surprising, but I actually don't mind the Roy approach right now with our younger "unknown" assets. That said, I'll be very interested to see what sort of lineup we're consistently icing by the end of the season (obviously, our W-L record, injuries, personnel moves, etc. will have a lot to do with it).

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Even during the struggles last year Roy was still very active in communicating with the team, always talking on the bench, working on gameplans, etc... but this year i've noticed Army seems to be doing a lot of strategy work while Roy remains quiet on the bench, looking pretty disconnected and passionless. Hopefully after what we heard on the morning show we'll see Roy back to himself more on the bench.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Even during the struggles last year Roy was still very active in communicating with the team, always talking on the bench, working on gameplans, etc... but this year i've noticed Army seems to be doing a lot of strategy work while Roy remains quiet on the bench, looking pretty disconnected and passionless. Hopefully after what we heard on the morning show we'll see Roy back to himself more on the bench.

You got all of that from the very brief camera shots (both in the amount, and their length) of the Avs bench?

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
ArWKo; the defensemen have to pass the puck between them a bunch of times because the forwards are in the middle of the neutral zone.

No team in the NHL has bigger gaps in their breakouts between the Fs and Ds like we do. The D have three choices; pass it between them until a forward comes down deep, back peddle to gain time, or hammer it out of the zone. We usually opt for #3.

Yes, our D generally suck at moving the puck, but they have an incredibly hard task when our forwards are 30 feet away from them. The other team always has two forecheckers with active sticks and pivots taking away those lanes, yet we still think we're going to breakout like we do in a practice. It's kiddy stuff. We need the center deep, available for those five foot passes between the D. We need the first winger barely outside of our zone, making himself available for the second pass and acting as a pivot for the breakout, meaning he can send it back to the D, go back to the center feeding him, or hit his other winger. That's using multiple speeds in your breakout to increase efficiency and improves your chances of success.

Watch our game tonight and make note of where our forwards are when we try to break out.

Edit: Hate him all you want, but John Mitchell does this effectively on every shift. Perhaps that's also why his line usually isn't pinned deep trying to get it out.

I definitely agree, especially with the bolded piece there, it's a big problem. I guess what I don't understand is if this is a failure of the forwards to properly execute and presumable get open for a long pass from the defenseman or if this is just a systemic failure in the approach to breaking out.

If you aren't going to bring a C down low for a short breakout pass from the dmen in the zone, then you need your dmen to be more confident in bringing the puck up themselves to shorten that pass distance to the forwards. Obviously this leaves you open to a turnover and having nobody back, but that's where being even average making the short pass once they've moved up would mitigate, and I don't think it's a lot to ask from the dmen. Like I said, with the way things go now either they make the long pass and it's broken up way too often, or they get the crap forechecked out of them leading to a turnover in the zone or an icing.

Either way something needs to change with that breakout.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Well looks like I'm going to the Sharks game on Sunday now on top of the Flames game Tuesday.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Honest question:
Did we beat any goalie with a shot 10' out this year? I'm asking because it seems to me that every great occasion we have had, the shot miss the net. These guys have to learn to hit the net. That way at least you have the chance for a rebound.

The decision making with the puck is atrocious. It looks like the guys are color-blind. So many passes directly to an opposing player it's ridiculous.

The lack of hockey sense without the puck is also obvious. They never seem to be at the right place at the right time.

The effort is there most of the time on the forecheck but totally lacking in puck battles on the boards.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You guys think they actually believe it when they say they're playing well 5 on 5 or are they just publicly repeating what Roy's saying? They're right about special teams, mainly the PP, letting them down but at even strength they only play well for about one period per game. The rest of the time they're just chasing the puck and getting outplayed.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You guys think they actually believe it when they say they're playing well 5 on 5 or are they just publicly repeating what Roy's saying? They're right about special teams, mainly the PP, letting them down but at even strength they only play well for about one period per game. The rest of the time they're just chasing the puck and getting outplayed.

I have no idea. It's plain as day to see they're never the better 5on5 team, yet they keep harping on how they're playing well 5on5. If this is their definition of playing well, that's scary.

Of course, it could just be for the public eye and not trying to be too honest so that a big deal isn't made out of a small comment.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
They've lost that 'Why Not Us' attitude and replaced it with "I wish it was us" mentality.

They need to play hungry and with an edge.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
unrelated but, man I can't believe we drafted Hishon over Bjugstad. Guy is a beast.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know who this new Mike Chambers is at the Post but he's posted a few very well written articles and blogs lately. Almost like he's been studying his craft. Kudos to him.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
then the Broncos after.

i know this game is definitely a must go, but if i was a season ticket holder it would be very difficult to not sell my seats after seeing the redic prices for them

as long as they were a bonafide broncos fan, id take the 7k per ticket lol

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
i know this game is definitely a must go, but if i was a season ticket holder it would be very difficult to not sell my seats after seeing the redic prices for them

as long as they were a bonafide broncos fan, id take the 7k per ticket lol

Just because someone lists them for that doesn't mean they will get them. If someone walked up to me and offered that of course I'd sell. We sold our Vikings tickets, I do want to go to this one. If we got a good offer though I'd do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad